PhreeZone

Does your DZ charge a different amount if you use credit cards?

Just wondering how DZ's are dealing with the ever increasing fees that Credit Card companies are charging merchants to use their credit card.

How many DZ's pass the charge on directly to the jumper?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

My DZ offers a "cash discount" as well....this goes for everything...

tandems, and first jump course (including ground school, and 1 tandem and an IAD) are $10 cheaper if you pay in cash..
aff is $6 cheaper
Video/Stills are $5 cheaper
IAD's are $4 cheaper
jump tickets are $1 cheaper

*daizey*

Well, it's illegal for vendors to charge a Credit Card usage fee, so my dz offers a "cash discount" I'm sure that's why so many others do the same.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Well, it's illegal for vendors to charge a Credit Card usage fee, so my dz offers a "cash discount" I'm sure that's why so many others do the same.

Yes quite.

As for using your CC at the DZ in the "debit" mode. You should keep in mind that many banks charge a usage fee for using the debit side of your card. This is one of the big things the place I worked for made money on. Its clearly stated in some pamphlet that they gave to all new card holders, but no one ever reads it. So people would complain about the usage fees and we wouldn't do much other than to say use the Credit side of it.

If you have to punch your pin your running the risk of paying an out of network transaction fee. The best way to save the DZ money or save yourself money is to hit a ATM that is affiliated with your bank before you get to the DZ.

My DZ offers no cash discount but its something that they were thinking about doing because the cost of CC transactions is crazy.

Though I have made a good 100 purchases on my card for under 5 dollars at random stores throughout the midwest. They have to hate that. :ph34r:
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

They also consider the cash discount a fee for using the credit card. It's the same thing, just packaged differently. If one were to call Visa/MC and complain, they'd still get their account yanked for charging a fee for CC use.
-----
~~~Michael

That it is. You can bet though that as soon as someone turns in their local DZ that the tickets you could get for $17.50-cash will now be $18.00 cash or credit.

DZs operate on such slim profit margins that it doesn't bother me to get hit up with the additional charge, so long as that charge is not an unreasonable one.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Oh, no, I'm not complaining @ all!!
I totally understand their need. Sometimes I feel like one of few people @ my dz that understand that it is a business - the dzo's deserve to earn money just as much as I do.

I pay by CC & it would really suck for the people able to pay cash if someone turned them in.

It wouldn't positively affect the cost of my tickets, so I wouldn't to that to other people.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

My DZ charges a fee for CCs, though I was manifesting a 35-tandem day on Saturday and was starting to consider a cash handling fee for them. :)
I'd never heard a rule against CC charges in the UK before : is that a US consumer law thing or a Visa/Mastercard contractual thing? When the DZ is getting hit for the charges it seems unfair to have to pass that on evenly to everyone including the cash payers...

Sweep
----
Yay! I'm now a 200 jump wonder.... Still a know-it-all tho..

Definately a MC/Visa thing and in many, maybe all, states a state law as well.

The CC companies see it as discouraging the use of the card and the states see it as an abuse of the customer.

Credit cards are part of the cost of doing business and the DZ needs to figure it into the pricing. Worst case (5% + 25 cents) it adds about a $1.00 to the cost of jump at the prices I pay. If half the people pay cash and half credit cards then it would be fifty cents to every ticket.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

I doubt the CC would turn their nose at all that bothersome profit. After all its them whom gouged first remember?

True, but the merchant agreement should clearly state that the merchant is not allowed to pass the fee on to the consumer as a 'service' charge.

I doubt the CC would turn their nose at all that bothersome profit. After all its them whom gouged first remember?

Gouged? They've got as much as anyone, or any business, to make a profit. Right? Remember, it was the merchant that agreed to abide by their rules. Most simply add in the additional cost to their wares, I appreciate that the DZ offers me the chance to save a few dollars by using cash.

I'm not going to take the time to read the merchant agreement, but I do believe that some merchants are exempt from the "thou shall not pass on the charges" rule.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Definately a MC/Visa thing and in many, maybe all, states a state law as well.

The CC companies see it as discouraging the use of the card and the states see it as an abuse of the customer.

Credit cards are part of the cost of doing business and the DZ needs to figure it into the pricing. Worst case (5% + 25 cents) it adds about a $1.00 to the cost of jump at the prices I pay. If half the people pay cash and half credit cards then it would be fifty cents to every ticket.

In other words, the people who pay cash are subsidizing the jumps of the credit card users.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It is a violation of every merchant agreement that I have ever seen to add a fee if one uses a credit card or to discount if they do not. I am not aware of any law in my state that would forbid such a practice.

With that said, the credit card companies do not care what the merchant does since I am aware of complaints and nothing was ever done about it.

Ed