Monkeyb

I offered several of my friends an opportunity for a free tandem and none took it

I recently got off AFF and made a few solo jumps. Unfortunately since May 15 I haven't been able to get out to the dropzone again. My friend who I normally jump with had a big family emergency and from the looks of it won't be back within the 30 days required to still be current.

I don't want to drive an hour and a half to the DZ by myself, so I figure since my currency is expiring I'll just offer to pay a tandem for a friend, instead of redoing level 8 after the 30 days are up. I'm already screwed either way cause I'm not gonna go out there by myself and my currency will expire if I don't, so it's basically a free jump for any one of my friends who wants it.

Well, I couldn't get a single friend to come out with me. I remember when I'd try to get them to jump they'd always bitch about it being so expensive to do a tandem. Now I offer them a free jump fully paid by me, and everyone pulled some excuse to weasel their way out.

This is so pathetic. I don't really care because I'm paying that level 8 retake anyways, but I mean, how can you refuse a free tandem when you've never jumped before? WTF!

Why do you need them to go with you?

Just go.

If I waited for my friends to go with me....I'd still be waiting.

You have a car? Get in it and drive yourself to the DZ.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Just drive to the DZ, jump and make new friends, cause you will never get those people that don't skydive to understand, and don't try to force it on anyone. Try to show you passion for our awesome sport and circle of friends and the best you can hope for is that its rubs off on them. Blue Skies!!.

B|B|
"there's a fine line between hobby and mental illness"

Dude, just get in the car and drive to the DZ by yourself. My friends NEVER went to the DZ. Wuffo's just dont understand. Besides, you will make new friends. I wish someone would have offered me a free tandem..............................:P

You dont't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.......You can only decide how you're going to live........NOW.
-BASE 1605 Night BASE 227

Forget about taking Friends to the DZ with you. It is much better to go by yourself. You will meet more people that way and also have the opportunity to learn alot more if you are hanging out with the more experienced jumpers instead of a Wuffo buddy.

Take the extra cash you were going to blow on that tandem and do alot more jumps with it.

Skydiving is like religion: For those who understand, no explanation is needed, for those who don't, no explanation is possible. Sorry to say but your whuffo friends have just revealed themselves for what they are: Wimps of the highest order. Now that you know this, do you really want to hang around them?

Just get i the car and go to the DZ. Your new friends are waiting there for you.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I don't want to drive an hour and a half to the DZ by myself

Why the hell not?? :S:S

I do it all the time. Guess what? Get used to the fact that you are in this alone till you hook up some new jumping buddies at your DZ. Either way you will be driving there alone a lot.
__

My mighty steed

This is so pathetic. I don't really care because I'm paying that level 8 retake anyways, but I mean, how can you refuse a free tandem when you've never jumped before? WTF!

there is nothing pathetic about not wanting to jump out of a plane, free ride or not. It's not because they are "wimps with no balls" - you are not asking them to come to a water slide park with you; you are asking them to place blind and unknowing faith in someone that will save them as they do something completely unnatural and fall earth bound at 120mph out of a plane. I don't know why it's hard to understand that, in theory, a lot of people like the sound of that idea, but when given the opportunity to do it for free, they refuse.

Just get some good CD's/tapes for the car, and day dream of all the fun you will be having at the dz - that's what i do and it sure makes the 5 hour round trip to the dz seem more bearable ;)

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

1,5 hours of driving...I do that every weekend (passing two other wat-closer-to-home DZ's in the process hehehe)
And sometimes even further...Just put some heavy music on, and dream about jumping...you'll be there in no-time..

why waste jump-money on a whuffo to come along?

Drive by yourself, and save the 'tandem-cash' from everytime you go alone...you'll have money for your own gear in no-time :)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Its very rare that you can get people to go to the DZ with you to jump for the first time. I had 5 friends do it but there is a long story behind why they went.

I never wait for anyone to go to the DZ with me and I think an hour and a half is a SHORT drive (So. Cal Girl here). Get out there and jump already!
FGF #6
Darcy

Get used to it.
The Army learned a half-century ago that you cannot PAY some people to jump.
In the long run you will end up with two sets of friends: DZ friends for weekends and another set of friends for evenings out on the town.
90 minutes is a normal drive to the DZ.

I don't want to drive an hour and a half to the DZ by myself

I fly all over the country to different events by myself. Sure, once I arrive I hook up with friends, but it's not that hard to dive out to the DZ alone. If you continue to wait till someone goes with you, you'll be stuck on the ground.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Hey Monkey,

When I started, I wanted to share it in the highest order with all my whuffo buddies. I eventually became really annoying with how much I talked about jumping with them. Its like the 8th wonder of the world to us....how can they NOT like this sport? I still dont know, but the trick here is to forget trying to convince anyone that its the best feeling in the world.

As far as being new and wanting a friend to jump with, I can agree with your feelings there. I attached myself to a few when I started jumping, but I tell you what, jumping with new and differnent people is one of the greatest things about this sport. Its such a high to have a great jump with someone you just met and instantly have that connection with ANOTHER jumper. Almost having another best friend to add to your list of all of your other jumping best friends.... Kinda lame explanation, but you'll see in time.

As far as the drive, relish it dude. Its one of the best drives in the world for me, to and fro. I get energized with music and the thought of all the jumps I am going to do that day on the way up. I make phone calls to all my jump buddies and make sure their sorry asses are going to be at the dropzone. On the way home, usually after a great dinner with 5-8 of my homies, sushi rules, I get to think about how I am the luckiest person in the world to have the opportunity to do something that is so fullfilling and satisfying. AND I have a hot wife waiting for me when I get home. I just never know whether shes going to be annoyed at me for going jumping, or glad to see me, cause she misses me. But hey, its the chance I'm willing to take. ;)

Dont worry about friends dude, all the ones you have now will be a memory in a matter of years if you really take up jumping alot. Unless they are really tight buds, you will have a completely new set of friends that will ALWAYS be your brothers. Bumpy brothers included.

Out with your old life, and into the new!!!! :D

:ph34r: I'd so love to "hook up" with you. I can't believe our paths haven't crossed yet. I'm sure I'd learn so much either jumping with you, or just sharing a beer with you.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I'd so love to "hook up" with you

YES!!!

I can't believe our paths haven't crossed yet

You sign right?

I saw you during the 121 ways in Zhills.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I don't encourage anyone to skydive. If they show an interest, I'll tell them where to go, help them learn, etc. If they don't express that interest, I don't.

I was really whining when my first DZ moved, taking nearly an hour to reach instead of 35 minutes. I didn't realize at the time that I had it so good! I've never lived anything near that close to the DZ in the past 26 years.

You sign right?

I saw you during the 121 ways in Zhills.

>:(And you didn't introduce yourself? Or even offer to buy me a beer?

Well, now I know. Next time I'm down that way, I will hunt you down, and you owe me two beers:ph34r:

And you didn't introduce yourself? Or even offer to buy me a beer?

Well, now I know. Next time I'm down that way, I will hunt you down, and you owe me two beers

I was not sure that was you...And most of the time you looked kinda busy fighting off all the guys.

And, how was I to know you wanted to meet me?

I mean I'm not so full of myself that I think everyone wants to meet me. Some are quite happy to never meet me....And I am sure some wish they never met me (Line forms over there folks).

So, I was not going to just assume everyone wants to meet me.

Plus there are two types of DZ.commers.

1. The ones that like me.
2. The ones that chip in for the hitman.

Either way not many on here know what I look like, and that makes the hitman harder to hire.;)

So next time we cross paths I'll buy you a beer.

Ron

So next time we cross paths I'll buy you a beer.

Okay, it's a deal then. I'll be in Florida the second weekend of Nov. for a tunnel camp that I'm putting together. I'll remind you as the date gets closer.

BTW, Monkeyb, didn't mean to hijack this thread. Just goes to show you that you can meet other jumpers at the DZ, and not depend on your friends to go with you.