nicrussell

Flour in pack tray

I am going to do a jump where a few dozen friends will be watching, all of them non jumpers. A remember a few years back someone said if you add baking flour to your pack tray upon opening it will fly out in a semi spectacular way. Then a light white trail of flour will "follow" you to landing.

Is this true? and has any of y'all done this. looking for pros/cons and general advice. thank you

nic

It leaves a white spot in the air on opening, makes it easy to find you if you are in a crowd. But on a solo its not worth the effort in my opinion.

I packed 3 pounds and it left a large white mark as soon as the dbag was open, but it never trailed with me.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

there will be a group of us. but not much of a growd pleaser huh? too bad. i want the spectators to see as much as possible. i would use smoke but do not want too much attention. plus pyrotechnics would be not such a great idea in the area i'll be doing this.

any other suggestions?

3 lbs huh, seems like a lot of flour.

thanks, nic

I've heard of people attaching a bag of flour to their legs, and poking a small hole in the bottom corner... then the flour leaks out and creates a white trail... its basically a cheap mans smoke, with the added benefit of no fire, heat damage, or discolored gear.

never seen it done though, so i don't know how well its visible from the ground.

MB 3528, RB 1182

Go for the 10 kg/22 pound bag like Jay Beavis and Collin Sinclair....

The stills don't do the video justice, one of the funniest things I've ever seen. The stills were taken from Collin's year end video for 2001. (Prairie Skymasters - Saskatoon, SK)
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I would try streamers.

Note: I did this once. I told the DZSO (S&TA) what I was doing, and he was cool with it, but I neglected to tell the other person on the jump what I was doing (instructor ~2000 jumps) I had a white streamer. Unfortunately, it broke off at about 10' in length. The (in the air) instructor thought that I was trailing my reserve bridle....

I felt sort of sheepish after that.... :$
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Hy,

if you really wanna shock your whuffo freinds, pack some lines of newspaper around you pack-job and in between the fabric of your chute. Then get some talcum powder(is that what its called:-)) and put it in your chute.
On opening the newspaper will tear apart and give a real loud bang:D. The talcum powder will give a white cloud around the parachute.

Then get a skydivier freind of yours to yell "OH MY GOD, THE PARACHUTE EXPLODED !"

You'll never see faces like that again ;)

Go for the 10 kg/22 pound bag like Jay Beavis and Collin Sinclair....

The stills don't do the video justice, one of the funniest things I've ever seen. The stills were taken from Collin's year end video for 2001. (Prairie Skymasters - Saskatoon, SK)

Is that video available anywhere?

airbourne anaconda u need 3 PLY not the cheap stuff then as soon as canopy opens take a small stickk with ya stick the bog roll on the stick/twig/branch and start to unwind its bloody huge u neve knew how big a roll of toilet paper is till u l@@k behind ya we used to do it all the time..