jheadley

If you get two total malfuctions...

I know most people will say "grab the grass", "hold up your hand", "tie your shoes", or "stick a shoe up your ass" when you get the "what if your reserve doesn't work?" question.

But would you really just accept it and go with it? I'm just a student, but the way I see it, I know there are two parachutes in my rig and they're just not coming out. So what ideally I'd like to do is just try to do something to get them out (Reach around with a hook knife and start cutting my container open or something like that)

I know you wouldn't really have much time to try something but I would at least feel good dying knowing that I never stopped trying.

Also, have there ever been any total malfunctions on reserves? I haven't heard of any incidents where there were two total malfuctions in the limited time I've been looking into fatalities.

Justin
Who is realizing this sport is a little more dangerous than I first though.... :|

If I had a double total mal, I would fight until the last second of my life... AND track towards the rigger's car in the parking lot... :P

Even if you do everything right, you can still get killed on any dive, if you can't accept it, you probably shouldn't be jumping. Just my $0.02.

Blue Skies!!!
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, hit the container with your elbows, if your container is small enough or your arms are long enough try to pull the bridal all the way until your D/bag comes out, if you have a baglock pull your risers shake them. I think that will keep you busy
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

Many years ago I saw a woman whose reserve exploded on opening. She'd been unable to pull out the hand deploy for her main, so pulled silver instead. Well, after the reserve blew up and streamered, she went back to working on the main hand deploy and finally got it out. She sat in under her main at about 100 ft. She was a weeping hysterical mess (understandable), but she lived because she never gave up. Never give up while you're still alive.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Never give up. I know a fellow who got a bag lock on his reserve. He fought with it until it came out at a very, very low altitude.He never gave up, and he's here to tell the story.

Wow, can you shed some light on this, details ect. Id like to know how this happened so we can avoid it in the future.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

First the ratio of reserve rides is pretty high when compared to failed reserves. Parachutes these days have a 99.997% probability of opening - for both mains and reserves. The odds of something happening with both are pretty phenomenal.

Having said that, if you pull silver and the reserve doesn't leave your back; as mentioned earlier, use your elbows to bang on the side of the reserve pack tray (if memory serves, this scenario is what drove Mick C. to invent the catapualt system in his Reflex)

As for the bag lock on a reserve, it's "probably" (not the only) the brake lines that need to be pulled on vigorously. We have replicated a reserve bag lock on the ground and found that pulling on the toggles releases it.

And, as everyone else has stated, do everything you can think of till you see the light. Bang on the reserve, grab the toggles, the rear risers, etc.

Finally, you should really focus on the positives of how many times reserves have worked flawlessly, rather than the minimal amount of times they have not. Each year millions of military jumps and skydives are done around the world, with thousands of reserve rides.

As you continue, you may wish to consider geting an intentional cutaway rig and doing an intentional cutaway just to gain the confidence that they do and will work.

What will amaze you even more is seeing the Skyhook in action on a real cutaway situation. I am still in awe of watching that work.

Also, have there ever been any total malfunctions on reserves? I haven't heard of any incidents where there were two total malfuctions in the limited time I've been looking into fatalities.

:|

The Classiflyer Top Secret, a piggy back rig from the late 70's, had a reserve that would sometimes total after you pulled the ripcord. You would have to reach over your shoulder and grab at the top flap to get it to come out. Knew one person that bounced on one, several who had totals and were able to scratch their reserves out. I had one total on the ground when I pulled it for repack. I guess that was the Top Secret, that the reserve didn't always come out.

The old blast handle on reserve records had a few reports of people being having extremely hard pulls. Maybe a few cutaway-with-no-reserve-pull fatalities were caused by that, but we'll never know.

The gear is a lot better today. I really don't worry about reserve totals too much anymore.:)

:|

The Classiflyer Top Secret, a piggy back rig from the late 70's, had a reserve that would sometimes total after you pulled the ripcord. You would have to reach over your shoulder and grab at the top flap to get it to come out. Knew one person that bounced on one, several who had totals and were able to scratch their reserves out. I had one total on the ground when I pulled it for repack. I guess that was the Top Secret, that the reserve didn't always come out.

The old blast handle on reserve records had a few reports of people being having extremely hard pulls. Maybe a few cutaway-with-no-reserve-pull fatalities were caused by that, but we'll never know.

The gear is a lot better today. I really don't worry about reserve totals too much anymore.:)

That was a common problem on several rigs from that time. Do you remember the "last hope rope"? Thats what is was for. I had a Piglet container stay closed after pulling the reserve and was able to reach back and pull it open.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Never giver up until your goggles fill with blood.

I wish I had some goggles!! B|

"last hope rope"

Mine was red...and the guy I bought the Piglet
from called it the " Jesus Line "

He told me..."if you find yourself pulling on that
red line...
you'll hear yourself saying~ Jesus Christ!":ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Boy, we sound like a dinosaur convention.

I have only heard other people talk about this stuff, I am not old enough to have been there myself.:)

I wish I had some goggles!!

Hell, even if you got some for Christmas you would forget to put them on.:)

just enjoy the groundrush..................... :o

That's what I was doing. Had a 1400' reserve total on a prototype Super Swooper Tandem (SST or "struggle, struggle, thump") after a cutaway. Fought for awhile and finally gave up. Nothing more I could do. Was watching the ground. It cleared and was open at 300' Not much fun.

Several small things added up to cause the problem. It's why I became a rigger.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Oh yeah, right. (not believing voice) I see your D# is lower than mine. Break out the Geritol.

Shhhh!:$

Don't tell him!

Not only can Sparky hide his own Easter Eggs...

He pays for a 'first jump course'
EVERY TIME he shows up at the DZ!!!

:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

just enjoy the groundrush..................... :o

Dude, you have WAAAAY to much time on your hands

:S:P
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

Oh yeah, right. (not believing voice) I see your D# is lower than mine. Break out the Geritol.

No, really, I started jumping when I was 9.

Jim,
I will be in Texas in 2 weeks and I am going to hide someone's eggs.:P

Never giver up until your goggles fill with blood.

Heh - this reminds me of a skydive I did one time in California City. Three-way. One of the guys hit something or someone on exit or in freefall, and cut his face, just below the goggles. The cut happened to be right under the vent hole for the goggles, and blood went spurting up into the inside of his goggles. After we made a round, I looked to my right and saw this guy's goggles full of blood. He broke off and tried to clear them before he pulled.

Maybe a better phrase would be never give up as long as you can still move.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD