Amit

Flat spin

I am an AFF student (Level 6). During the course of my last jump (first solo exit) I was attempting controlled turns, the 360 clockwise was fine but during the anticlockwise turn I entered in to a terrible flat spin at 9000' (exit at 14,000). The spin was so rapid that my jumpmaster could not reach me. The speed of the revolutions just kept on increasing and no matter how hard I tried to arch or relax my body it would'nt stop/slow down. I could feel the blood rushing into my face and starting to feel dizzy. I pulled at 7,500 still furiously spinning. I could see my main swinging around me in the same plane as my body. I could see the twists develop in the lines till I almost reached half the way up my canopy ( which still had'nt opened fully). At one point it looked as if I was actually above the canopy. Fortunately the canopy did deploy but it spiralled for a few seconds as the line twists came undone. The force of the spin was so intense that my goggles were partly off my face. I actually thought I was gonna die. But what an adrenaline buz it was!
Now my question: Has anyone experienced something like this? And what can I do to prevent it from happening in the future?

Yup! Happened to me on my 7th and a few subsequent jumps. I was told to just delta or track a little when it happened. That worked well for me. Chances are your legs are not even. Try a couple of toe taps as soon as you exit and get stable.

Brisco

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Listen buddy, I did my anaesthesia training in England and that's how we spell 'anesthesiology' out there. I am a visiting anaesthesiologist. I would refer you to the website of the Royal College of Anaesthetists (www.rcoa.ac.uk) for any further clarification.

Now my question: Has anyone experienced something like this?

...you don't mean intentionally right? :D

And what can I do to prevent it from happening in the future?

Burn that Arch or boxman into muscle memory response dude. Practice symmety, have a coach take a good look on the ground and 'mold' you a bit if need be.

You wouldn't be turning (or spinning for that matter) without having put in the inputs to do so.

Remember, when doing your 360s, that you need only apply the inputs to create the turn or to accelerate it... once you've started the turn, go back to a neutral position and concentrate on heading... then, to stop the turn, it's simply the opposite inputs.

Maintaining the turn inputs during your turn will keep you accellerating into it (spinning) So if you've got a spin on your hands, you'll have to counter it with the inputs required for a turn in the opposite direction.

Hope that helps B|
Nick

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Firstly, talk to your instructors and don't take anything you read here to heart until you talk to your instructors about it!

Secondly.

RELAX AND ARCH!

Arching fixes most things, but if you're trying and trying to arch and things aren't working, you're probably tense and have a leg, hip, thigh, arm, hand, something out of whack. So RELAX, take a deep breath, let it out and arch. It works like a champ.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yep...I experienced several ugly spins when I was a student. Unfortunately, I was a static line student and had no input from my instructors as to how to fix my problem.

What did your instructor think the problem seemed to be?? He/she would be the person in the best position to see what was causing the problem.

Now having said that...spins are caused by usually one of two things...your body was asymetrical or you continued turn input (both have been discussed here already).

If you are not getting video of your jumps, you may want to consider it for your second level 6 (I'm assuming you will be repeating the dive). If you have video on your second level 6 and you have the same problem, both you and your instructor will have something to look at in order to get a more precise idea of what is happening.

Hang in there...and relax. You got the most important thing in the skydive right didn't you...you pulled and saved your life;)

Did you try countering the turn?
Ask your instructor to teach you how to use your legs to turn, it'll increase your body awareness.
The thing is, there could be a whole bunch of reasons why you were spinning.
Just forget about it, relax, and try again :)If it keeps happening, get video to see if there's something wrong with your body position you're not aware of. But if you keep jumping you'll get it sorted out.
good luck and have fun! :)

It's anaesthesiology.
like orthopaedics
like paediatrics
like caesar

it's the original latin spelling before bastardized in current usage in the US
not sure why your post was so venomous but you should check before you acuse someone of not knowing how to spell their own profession

thanks for the spin info. i hope you let us know how it works out.

is it a good idea to get video on every aff jump? just trying to budget here. thanks.

(just checked the dictionary. "freefall" doesn't have an 'e' at the end of it.
maybe he was just trying to be humorous, um, humoUrous... um, funny. wasn't.)

<------- had line twists on 3 AFF jumps in a row due to spinning at pull time. On my first jump with no line twists, I looked up, saw the perfectly good canopy, and thought, "well that's no fun" ;)

I have problems with leg awareness so I do toe taps throughout the entire dive and that has helped me a lot.

On my check out dive, I got into a nice spin after recovering from my barrel roll. If I had done it 20 jumps earlier, I would've freaked out. But, I dropped my shoulder in the opposite direction and it took a bit, but worked. Relax and arch too. Talk to your instructors first. This time, I didn't have to think about what to do in terms of correcting the spin. It happens...
Dianna PMS#223

I'M NOT AN INSTRUCTOR

I was taught to delta out of any flat spin that I got into.

In fact, that's how I get out of spins that I put myself into. Just extend your legs and bring your arms down by your side.

Oh yeah, and it's spelt "encyclopaedia" too...
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

"is it a good idea to get video on every aff jump? just trying to budget here. thanks"
I'm not an instructor.
I have earned money filming AFF as a camera flier.

Quite often an AFF package will include video. Unless you are having problems with your progression, I'd say no, but I have heard instructors say that during AFF, video is a very useful learning aid, and also that one jump with video is worth three without.
I have found it immensely useful in the past during coaching sesions.
Your mileage may vary depending upon your stage in development, budget, and the nature of any problems you are encountering.
Your instructor is probably best placed to advise.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

One of my mates has just finished his AFF recently, on his level 6 he had the most incredible spin, the video is fantastic to watch. The problem he had was that he was concentrating so much on getting into the "correct position" that once he thought that he had he just kept in it. He was extremely calm (to the point of having his eyes closed at times!!) but not relaxed, infact in his one position he was as stiff as a board.

His "flat spin" smoothly transitioned from flat, to spin in vertical plane, to on his back spinning and back to belly down. There is is great shot from the instructors head cam as he tried to stop him, as his legs came around they got the instructor square on the head sending him into a 360. He finally had to come down ontop of him and dump for him.:o

They now occasionally use it at the DZ as a training video :)
I took him to the wind tunnel after that in Paris after 10 minutes he had it sorted, went back and finished his AFF.

"Life is a bowl of deadly nightshade, stay way way out on the rim brother"

It's anaesthesiology.
like orthopaedics
like paediatrics
like caesar

it's the original latin spelling before bastardized in current usage in the US
not sure why your post was so venomous but you should check before you acuse someone of not knowing how to spell their own profession

Dude, I wasn't trying to be mean, I just didn't know if he realized he spelled it wrong.

By the way you spelled ACUSE wrong its Accuse.

This happened to me recently! I was told to do practice pulls which slows the spin down. Also trying to turn in the opposite direction to the spin should stop it too. I was doing this on RAPS (British static line system) so had no instructor following me out. I decided to invest in one jump with an instructor who also filmed me to see what the problem was. It was quite clear that my arms were all over the place - too high and uneven, hence the spinning! Loads of people told me not to worry, that the involuntary turns would just stop, and they do! So don't worry, you'll sort it! (I know its more money but try and get your next jump on video as it really is worth it to help figure out what you are doing - plus, just when your family think they have heard everything there is to know about skydiving, you can show them the video and annoy them some more :)

It's anaesthesiology....
...not sure why your post was so venomous but you should check before you acuse someone of not knowing how to spell their own profession

Casquito, that's what I am talking about. Skydivers are always making it a point to let you know how they are right and someone else is wrong. :)

PcCoder.net