schwede

PAC 750 accident???

Have anybody heard about an incident in Switzerland concerning the PAC 750 and someone hitting the tail of the plane when exiting.. Or is this just a rumour... Should supposed to have happend last week....

The PAC is in Bad Lipp today anyway.. But it would have been interesting to hear if this was true...
Schwede
"Das Leben ist schön, nicht immer aber immer öfter"

Thank you for that clarification... We have the intention to purchase one for the next season.. and suddenly someone told us about this incident.... Do you have any information at all???
Schwede

After nearly hitting the tail of our caravan this past weekend it seems to me that the PAC 750 is definately not a good airplane to exit without a "cut". In my case I was just being stupid and I wasn't paying attention and I exited facing the wind without a cut. Video is pretty crazy. There are a few things I don't understand about that 750 if it was designed for skydiving like why the exhaust for the engine is on the left side. It really sucks if you have to stand there for a minute getting blasted by jet fumes. I know its a engineering thing and way over my head. Just a practicle observation though.

The exhause exits both sides of the faring, and probably because it's quite expensive to have P&W redesign a powerplane to your specs. The Caravan has single side exhaust but the powerplants are rated to only 600 or 675 hp.

As for the tail, I don't see it as a factor. It's far better than the aged King air fleet out there.

Hell getting in a KA is all about being blased by fumes and propwash. Otters too.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I jumped our new PAC 750 in Davis, CA this past weekend and slammed my head on the wing. the plane and my head are both fine, but I was lucky to have worn a helmet on this jump, as I had not worn one on the previous 2 jumps. basically, I did a back track exit and was too close to the front of the door... I should have been further towards the tail.

I fear a newbie wing suit jumper opening his wings too early and clipping the tail, though.

There are a few things I don't understand about that 750 if it was designed for skydiving like why the exhaust for the engine is on the left side.Just a practicle observation though.

The XL750 is NOT designed for Skydiving, it's a general purpose plane that can be ADAPTED for skydiving operations:)I't primary design considerations were NOT skydiving oriented
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Sooo, U did a WS jump out of it???

I believe that you should drop yourself from the plane and not do the big Jump-up-out of it?

Had some people from our club at Bad Lippspringe last week checking out the Swiss machine and they were all very pleased with the performance and exits from the plane...
Schwede

The XL750 is NOT designed for Skydiving, it's a general purpose plane that can be ADAPTED for skydiving operations
I't primary design considerations were NOT skydiving oriented

That statement is incorrect.

The PAC750XL was a idea conceved by Pacific Aerospace Corp, a few DZO's and some additional partners/investors. It's sole purpose initialy was skydiving oriented. Any other functions have been developed after the initial concept and design phase.

The Cresco (another PAC product) was the inspiration for the PAC750XL airframe, but the two are NOT the same A/C.

>The XL750 is NOT designed for Skydiving, it's a general purpose plane
>that can be ADAPTED for skydiving operations . . .

After chatting with some of the PAC people at Rantoul, I think the opposite is true. It's a general purpose plane designed for skydiving that can also do a lot of other missions.

There are a few things I don't understand about that 750 if it was designed for skydiving like why the exhaust for the engine is on the left side. It really sucks if you have to stand there for a minute getting blasted by jet fumes.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

First of all, 95% of the Pratt and Whitney PT6A engines used in skydiving airplanes (Porter, Turbine Beaver, Turbine Otter, Twin Otter, etc.) have exhaust exiting BOTH sides of the cowling.
Only the PT6A-114 - installed in the Cessna Caravan - has exhaust routed out the lower right side of the engine cowling. Since the PT6A-114 is limited to 675 horsepower, it severely limits Caravan''s usefulness as jump planes.
That is why Soloy's up-engining program uses an 800 horsepower, PT6A-42A with the normal two exhaust ports.

The Walter turboprops favored by Eastern European jump planes (i.e. LET 410) also have exhausts sticking out both sides of the engine.

And to clarify the design lineage of the PAC 750. The line started back in 1954 with Fletcher Air Parts in California. John Thorp designed the first FAP light utility airplane that was subsequently manufactured in New Zealand (by Cresco, etc.) for top-dressing (aka. crop-dusting).
So many Crescos got pressed into service hauling skydivers on weekends that Pacific Aerospace Corporation decided to build a skydiver-specific version named the PAC 750. However, I doubt if skydivers were their only intended market, when you consider the rampant success of Cessna's Caravan. Half of Caravan production is hauling small parcels for courier companies like Fedex, Purolator, DHL, and their subsidiaries. I strongly suspect that PAC engineers were aiming at an operations profile that included hauling small packages Monday to Friday with skydiving on weekends.
A lot of other companies are trying to compete with Caravans, but so far PAC is the only company to enter production.

Smart skydivers will adapt King Air hot-loading procedures to the PAC 750. If you stand by the wing tip until the guy ahead of you is at the top of the ladder, you will suck 1% of the fumes inhaled by your less patient buddies.

>The XL750 is NOT designed for Skydiving, it's a general purpose plane
>that can be ADAPTED for skydiving operations . . .

After chatting with some of the PAC people at Rantoul, I think the opposite is true. It's a general purpose plane designed for skydiving that can also do a lot of other missions.

CRAP lookslike I'm wrong YET again:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It can be done on a King Air too, it's just harder to hang as low in the door because it's soo small. I did the same thing in Rantoul. Don't worry about damage, the manufacturer made the flaps strong enough to stand on.

well i have been reading alot of what you guys say about this plane as i am from new zealand and us kiwis have alot of pride when it comes to new zealand products being exported. I have never been in or up close to the PAC-750 so i really dont know how this plane fly's or anything. But i hear you all saying this plane was designed for skydiving, well i know it is a purpose built plane for skydiving but waht sort of skydiving?
well you know we have commercial skydiving and sport skydiving...
I am under the understanding from dz owners in new zealand that this plane is for tandems and is not for sport skydivers. Aparently it is a plane that will stall when stacked. i asked my dz owner about this aircraft and was told that it is useless for stacking and people hanging out the doors as it will just stall. they say it is a plane that you need to exit out of fast. I am just wondering what jumpers are thinking and if it really should be looked as a ship for 4-ways and flocking dives e.t.c. Or if it really is just a tandem jump ship.

As i have said, i have never seen this plane or jumped from it, i just want to know if people think this planes purpose is for commercial tandems as we are told here.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

If you want to you can hit the stabilo on a lot of airplanes like the Caravan and C206.

Very important to check the position of the stabilo before exit.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

Its great for doing 4-way out of, and I think 8-way is fine too. The problems only come with camera wings / birdman (too little descent when leaving the plane) and larger formations with running divers (potential stall, tail popping up).

So what you all say; is have the plane in nose down position when exiting in order to raise the tail?

OK... You can see that easy before climb out.. but then?? When you are hanging there??? Waiting for the group to exit...

Hasn't anybody done 8-way or bigger out of this aircraft??? and have commments about it..

Highly appreciated..
Schwede

did 16 ways jumps this weekend... Once again, try and ask Reto in Beromunster (www.paraclub.ch) for the procedures they use with his plane... 5 people out maximum, if more than so many people at the back, minimum of so many people at the front (for the balance...) (I don't remember the exact figures...). this means that the last divers have to be very fast...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM