svaillan

Please help..thigh pain

Ok all I need some advice. Now I know everyone says that there is a world of difference between a student rig which I am on and a custom individual one. But the pain is unbearable. It was so bad on my first 2 jumps that I couldnt jump anymore. It was actually so bad that it made me feel like I was gonna puke. Now I am experienced when it comes to using similiar harnesses for caving, recreation rapelling and military/tactical rapelling. Therefore the first jump I was pretty sure I had it tight enough and high enough in my crotch. But it was bad. So the second jump I got it as snug as I could up into my crotch and as tight as I could agian but still no relief. The only little and I mean little bit of relief came from crossing my ankles while under canopy. It was so bad I just couldnt wait to get down to the DZ. I also tryed pulling myself up by the riser and adjusting, nope that didnt work. So any advice. Could it be that I am to tall for the rig? My legs never could really dangle...they where in a slight sitting position even with the straps up into my crotch. But I am only 6 foot tall so what could be causing this and how can I fix it? Oh please oh please help. Thx all, Steve [email protected]

Can you wear some jeans under your jumpsuit? That'll help a little bit. If its really bad talk to your instructors about using some seatbelt pads (check Wal-Mart or Autozone) on your leg straps. they velcro around the straps and may help a lot.:)
Student rigs suck for fit, but the DZ has to have a rig that'll fit a lot of different bodies. As soon as you can, buy a rig that's cut for you and you'll be happy.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Not just one, but 2 or 3 pairs of heavy denim shorts will help a lot.

Don't bother with padded bicycle shorts, padding is in the wrong place.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Only 21 jumps here so check with an instructor befor doing what I do. I found it helps to slide the legstraps down just a bit right after opening, after canopy check, befor unstowing brakes. This puts me in a little bit more seated position and is much more comfortable for me.

James

Only 21 jumps here so check with an instructor befor doing what I do. I found it helps to slide the legstraps down just a bit right after opening, after canopy check, befor unstowing brakes. This puts me in a little bit more seated position and is much more comfortable for me.

Am I the only one that thinks this is the most reckless and dangerous advice to give someone with the experience the poster has?? DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO YOUR HARNESS WITHOUT SPEAKING TO YOUR INSTRUCTOR FIRST. AS A MATTER OF FACT I WOULD NOT DO ANYTHING AT ALL.

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

Am I the only one that thinks this is the most reckless and dangerous advice to give someone with the experience the poster has?? DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO YOUR HARNESS WITHOUT SPEAKING TO YOUR INSTRUCTOR FIRST. AS A MATTER OF FACT I WOULD NOT DO ANYTHING AT ALL.

It certainly wasn't the most reckless advice ever given. Did have the check your instructor caveat too. While doing so could affect the landing, suffering through 5000ft of pain affects it also.

Well thanks for all the advice so far. But dont worry I am not gonna go adjusting my leg harness and slip out in mid air. I have over 20 years of working with similiar harnesses in situations much more dangerous. Not to mention working upside down in those harnesses with a weapon in my hand. A couple of the other guys at my DZ also pull themselves up on the risers to get into a better sitting position to ease discomfort. So adjusting ones self that way seems to be commen practice. But any and all advice on easing this pain is greatly appreciated. Agian thx so much.

No offense, but at 59 jumps I think you're being a little too forceful. First of all, the poster may only have 21 jumps, but he probably got the advice from his instructor, or at least ran it by them. Chutem's profile says he's from Eloy, so his instructor probably has something like 100 times your skydives. I wouldn't be so quick at dismissing this advice. Second, the post you replied to had three sentences, one of which was dedicated to stating that the poster is inexperienced, and none of which told anyone what to do. He was only relaying his own personal experience. There's no need to yell. It would be a great shame if this type of response prevented chutem, or anyone else, from posting further advice on this forum, especially advice they got from instructors with thousands of jumps.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Hey Steve,
I feel your pain!! [:/] I just did 2 jumps yesterday and the pain, especially on the 2nd one, was BAD!! I didn't even do a 3rd cause I knew it would be agony under canopy.
I had my leg straps very tight, and I asked my instructors and they said the fit was good. I tried to slide my pads up before I exited, but that didn't help.
Its very frustrating because none of the other students jumping with me have this problem. They couldn't believe how much it hurt me!

I was thinking possibly my jean shorts are getting buched up under my straps?? (It didn't feel like it but who knows!) I was thinking of wearing spandex shorts next time to see if that helps. Maybe I can stuff some extra padding in their. I was also thinking of trying another suggestion I saw on this board -- to get elbow pads and put the leg straps thru them. I gotta find something that helps because I really want to be able to do 3 jumps a day!

Good luck! Let me know if you find anything that works! (I'll do the same)

Beth B|
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Not to mention working upside down in those harnesses with a weapon in my hand.

Sounds like a fun job - sign me up!

Seriously, can you explain why you were hanging upside down with a weapon? I'm conjuring up some crazy images but I'm still not sure exactly what you mean... :o
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Beth,

Your pain was quite likely due to taking the only harness in a smaller size rather than giving that one to me and taking the larger one for yourself ;)

Seriously though, I don't know how much of a difference for girls and guys there is, but for me keeping the leg straps tight and the pads in the right position (mind tend to slide away from my body) on the student rigs helps a lot. I also wear jeans under the student jumpsuits.

The pain is much less! I no longer have the excruitiatingly painful jumps that came with not getting my leg straps right. However, I still get bruises on my inner thighs with every jump!

Good luck finding your answers! I know it hurts!

Amy

Well behaved women rarely make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Well thanks for all the advice so far. But dont worry I am not gonna go adjusting my leg harness and slip out in mid air. I have over 20 years of working with similiar harnesses in situations much more dangerous. Not to mention working upside down in those harnesses with a weapon in my hand. A couple of the other guys at my DZ also pull themselves up on the risers to get into a better sitting position to ease discomfort. So adjusting ones self that way seems to be commen practice. But any and all advice on easing this pain is greatly appreciated. Agian thx so much.

Bold: It is common practice. Its more comfortable if the leg strap sits and inch or two forward on your leg so its more of a sitting position. Its not really a concern on landing because if you push your legs straight down for the most part the harness will slip back.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Decaf huh??

Sure, OK, Adjust the legstraps anytime you want while under canopy. I know I didnt do it while going through the ISP. Yes there were some painful canopy rides, but I dealt with them. Student rigs are made to fit everyone, but not everyone well.

I still stand by my assertion the it is unsafe to do this while under canopy.

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

Unfortunately, I cannot offer any advice. I can say, however, that I feel your pain! I have a line of bruises on my thighs from the straps after jumping this weekend. It's quite painful and spoils what should be an awesome canopy ride down. I have tried everything like pulling the risers, tightening the straps, etc. I have talked to instructors and been told it will probably only get better when I get my own rig. :(

Decaf huh??

Sure, OK, Adjust the legstraps anytime you want while under canopy. I know I didnt do it while going through the ISP. Yes there were some painful canopy rides, but I dealt with them. Student rigs are made to fit everyone, but not everyone well.

Just because you stand by it doesn't mean it's a valid assertion, and with such a low jump number I think you need to take a deep breath and chill out. The tone of your post makes it seem as if you're a veteran jumper, which you clearly aren't.

Now, on to the topic. I think it's ok to do some minor leg strap adjustments under canopy. My instructors never advised me against it, and it's helped me under painful rides. I'm new to the sport, so take this for what it's worth, but I don't think a small legstrap adjustment is going to make you fall out of your harness. Check with instructor's, maybe there's a better way to get around your pain than adjusting the legstraps while in-flight.

Adjusting them worked for me, but I don't recommend you do this without first mentionig it to an instructor.

Great. Let me inform Brian Germain (I hope you know who this is) and Scott Borghese (Canadian national champion, 6,000 jumps, AFFI) to stop screwing with their legstraps.

I still stand by my assertion that, at your experience level, you shouldn't talk so much smack. State your opinion all you want, but don't be so quick to dismiss other people. The life you save may be your own. There are important safety cases when you should adjust your legstraps.

I know I didnt do it while going through the ISP

Betcha didn't do sitfly docks while going through the ISP either. You probably didn't fly a wingsuit or land a Stiletto downwind off the dropzone as part of the ISP. Probably didn't break off a 20 way while progressing through the ISP, too. There's a lot to this sport that is not covered in the ISP.

What is the difference between a skydiver at 50 jumps and a skydiver at 500? The skydiver at 500 knows nothing, while the skydiver at 50 knows everything.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Poorly fitted student gear is a real petpeeve of mine. I find that any time someone gears you up, they almost always have the MLW(main lift web)too long. I have seen jumpers with a 1000+ jumps stretch out the MLW on people with short torsos. (often becuase they are wider or broader than average) If you have a larger frame (not so much tall) than average, chances are your gear isn't being adjusted correctly.

Because the MLW is for torso length and not girth, elongating it lowers the hip junction too much.

The end result is that the leg strap sits horizontally across the leg. On opening, however, it moves to a more diagonal orientation twisting and pinching the leg. That's probably why you're more comfortable with your ankles crossed; it puts your knees out to the side and the leg strap can't pinch as much.

That is how bruising and pinched nerves and arteries happen.

The next time you have gear put on you, make sure that the point where the lateral strap and the MLW meet (they form a cross on your side) is around your hip bone and don't overtighten. That should put the leg strap at the same angle it will be in while you're under canopy.

Let me know how it goes.
:)
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

I had leg bruises on almost EVERY jump while wearing student gear...I'm a 5'7" and 150 lb female...jump 11 was a swacker and the resulting bruise on one leg started at the crotch and stopped about 1" above my knee and went ALL the way around my thigh...I didn't jump for 2 months because of it...and I was seriously thinking I might have to quit jumping...by jump 13, I was using my own gear and almost 40 jumps later still haven't had any leg strap bruises...Hmmmm, I wonder if it was the gear? Hang in there...it just gets better!

Old age ain't no place for sissies!

I think you'll find lots of people who have non typical body sizes end up with thier MLW to long on student gear.

It's a freakin' epidemic!

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

relax Kai :P Push... quit pushing buttons;)

It's ok to move the legstraps around a bit after opening.

svaillan What is happening? Are you getting bruised? Is the harness pulling back real hard?

Does this article resemble anything that's happening? http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/frontthigh/adductrupture.htm

You're tall and I suspect the harness is pulling back on your legs. If that's coupled with a brisk opening, it's definatly not a comfortable situation.

Padding can help, I don't really recommond denim. The name Steve would suggest that you are probably Male (<== pretty smart huh)Jeans are pretty constrictive with a harness on. But if they work for you go for it.

Padding will help. When I was a student, had to use extra padding. I just cut out a rectangle piece of foam and cut out a slot for my "package" and put it in my jump suit. It helped a lot. It looked funny but who cares. Dave mentioned seat belt padding. I haven't seen it but I'm sure it would be fine.

Is the harness large enough for you?

Forgot I posted here or I would have replied sooner. I got this advice from a high # jumper in Eloy and checked with my instructor befor doing it myself. It made all the difference in the world for me. I appreciate all the people who came to my defense for shareing my experience. I also understand Kai2k1's concern for svaillon's safety because of mine and his low experience level. I searched some of Kai2k1's other posts and found that his attitude seems good in general and am sure this was just an example of being very concerned for someone else's safety. On the other hand I have found that there is always someone waiting to "jump" on what is offered here in a very negative way. There is always a way to correct people without trying to make them feel "small". Everyone has something to learn and also something to offer. Isn't that why we're all here (DZ.com) anyway.

James