docjohn

Imax Skydiving Movie

I've been hearing rumors from non-jumpers about an Imax movie out there about skydiving or at least an Imax movie that includes skydiving.

Does anyone know of such an Imax movie?

I remember jumping in Quincy a few years ago and saw several body painted skydivers and a HUGE helmet cam which was supposedly an Imax camera.

Does it exist?

Thanks
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

The 70mm IMAX camera is chest mounted on a frame. It's too big to put on a helmet. When jumped they had two catchers just to catch the camera. If the attached jumper, Joe Jennings, nobody cared. Save the camera!;)
http://www.bigmoviezone.com/filmsearch/movies/movie_stories/?uniq=3

What you saw may have been a 35mm movie cameras. Go look at this helmet. http://www.aerialfocus.com/about.html

And this is a great article by Tom.
http://www.soc.org/opcam/11_jj98/mg11_skydvng.html

Appologies: Norm flew it too. See this article. The story about catching the camera I think came from Norm at a PIA symposium presentation.
http://www.lastrefuge.co.uk/data/LRP_aviation_main.html
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

One of my biggest privileges in skydiving was to have jumped with just about all of the free-flyers in the lead-in at the beginning of the Adrenaline Rush video. B| Rook Nelson tells me that the big chest-mount camera has enough capacity for about 30 seconds of video, so high is the resolution.:o
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

I have seen the movie and it is worth the fee IMO. Nothing no one whos been in skydiving a day or two hasn't seen before but the way it is presented in the IMAX format makes it similar to being on the jump with the jumpers. The FF part is pretty good and many will like it. I wasn't too impressed with the Birdman flights but then again if you've never done it before it may be an eye opener. The BASE footage is very cool, you almost get the roller coaster effect in your stomach. The addition of breathing and heart beats to the 1st person footage amp it up even more. If it was on your TV or at the regular theater it would be average run of the mill stuff but the IMAX makes it that much more appealing.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have seen the movie and it is worth the fee IMO. Nothing no one whos been in skydiving a day or two hasn't seen before but the way it is presented in the IMAX format makes it similar to being on the jump with the jumpers. The FF part is pretty good and many will like it. I wasn't too impressed with the Birdman flights but then again if you've never done it before it may be an eye opener. The BASE footage is very cool, you almost get the roller coaster effect in your stomach. The addition of breathing and heart beats to the 1st person footage amp it up even more. If it was on your TV or at the regular theater it would be average run of the mill stuff but the IMAX makes it that much more appealing.

Me and a couple of friends saw it at a dome type of IMAX and where we were sitting it was enough in your peripheral vision that it made you feel like you were sorta there sit flying with them. I thought that it was decently cool. I have actually seen it twice. Once for free at Six Flags the second at the IMAX here in town at the museum. I liked it more on the dome.

Drags a little at parts but not too much.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

We don't have an IMAX in West OZ, can someone find out if the IMAXs in FLorida will still be showing Adreniline Rush in January please?? I really want to see it:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It's called "Adrenaline Rush, The Science of Risk". It is now playing at the Smithsonian Air & Space museum in VA. Well worth the drive.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

We don't have an IMAX in West OZ, can someone find out if the IMAXs in FLorida will still be showing Adreniline Rush in January please?? I really want to see it:)

I just called the IMAX in Tampa that is currently playing it, and they are only going to be showing it till Nov 18. I don't mind calling around the state (free long distance calling) if you need me to, where are you going in Fla.?

I just called the IMAX in Tampa that is currently playing it, and they are only going to be showing it till Nov 18. I don't mind calling around the state (free long distance calling) if you need me to, where are you going in Fla.?

Thanx Oz.
I'll be in Miami and around Orlando, from early January until about 24th:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Thanx Oz.
I'll be in Miami and around Orlando, from early January until about 24th:)

Sorry to say, but all my searches turned up nothing. The site that chuckbrown gave:
http://www.shemovie.com/
Seems to be down right now....but that is the official site for the movie. Once that site is up and running again that would probably be your best bet for finding the future showtimes. Again, sorry I couldn't help.

Oz

This is DEFINATELY worth the admission fee - yes, it is showing pretty standard jumps but in a way mosy of us have never seen before.

I wasn't too impressed with the Birdman flights

- I was!! Remember - they are carrying a pretty damned huge camera while doing these jumps, so to get footage like that I think is pretty impressive.
What I dont uderstand is why a movie like this undersells itself. It mentioed that freefliers can reach speeds of up to 200mph - why not tell them that speed skydivers can reach speeds well over 300mph?
Anyway! An enjoyable expereince with interesting insights into the chemistry of risk takers......

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

It mentioed that freefliers can reach speeds of up to 200mph - why not tell them that speed skydivers can reach speeds well over 300mph?

Thats not underselling. Its sticking with the subject! ;)

As far as wuffos are concerened, they could have done a RW only show and say they can reach speeds of 120 mph and the information would have had pretty much the same impact.
Remster

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wasn't too impressed with the Birdman flights

- I was!! Remember - they are carrying a pretty damned huge camera while doing these jumps, so to get footage like that I think is pretty impressive.

I know what ya mean and this is what the set up looked like.;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING