justaflygirl

A need to know...

Alot of you have responded to my post about recruiting for DZ's, Thanks!;)

I have a few questions for ya'll, that I would like to use in my "marketing" adventures, since at one time we were all "non-jumpers" too....

1) what made you start jumping / how you became interested?

2) How long have you been jumping? How many jumps do you have?

3)What method of training did you do?

4) how has skydiving changed you life?

Thanks alot for answering my questions! I plan to copy this to use in a display as a marketing tool when I take this to the streets. I am so passionate of skydiving, and I am extremely excited about introducing new people to this amazing sport/lifestyle. Thanks in advance for your help!

A friend of mine in the Army used to tell me about his skydiving exploits. That and my bro and his wife started jumping too.

First tandem 18 Jul 04... 53 jumps total

ASP, a structured 25 jump program, 2 tandems, 7 AFF, 3 solos, 12 coach jumps, A license solo.

I don't really think it "changed" my life. It is just something I enjoy.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Just remember to be honest to them about the injuries/death rate also.

I quit talking about skydiving 24/7 after about my first 200 jumps so I know where you are coming from... but one thing that really is over looked is that this is not a safe activity and there is a very real possibility of injury/death. I've paid about $3500 in hospital bills due to jumping, I've got some friends that spend upwards of $30k in bills due to their injuries. Be honest and don't try to sugar coat it.

>4) how has skydiving changed you life?

Cost me the same amount as a new car in the last 4 years for jumps and gear, cost me all my non-jumping friends I had when I started because I just could'nt shut up about jumping or take time to spend with them anymore. About cost me my job since I could'nt stay focused enough to do well at it. Not all the aspects of the sport are positive.

I might be negative... but honestly you need to go spend a lot more time at the DZ to understand why its not as peachy as it appears when you start.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Looked like fun (I like fast stuff e.g motorbikes)

Under 3 months. 67 jumps.

AFF

Timewise I spend all my weekends at a DZ but apart from that everything is still the same.

Alot of you have responded to my post about recruiting for DZ's, Thanks!;)

I have a few questions for ya'll, that I would like to use in my "marketing" adventures, since at one time we were all "non-jumpers" too....

To answer my own questions

1) what made you start jumping / how you became interested? I finally got tired of my jumping hubby hasseling me about making a jump, I told him, "I will do a tandem for my birthday, if you will shut up!" After my tandem, I started AFF the next weekend.

2) How long have you been jumping? How many jumps do you have? I have been jumping 18 months and have 51 jumps

3)What method of training did you do?AFF

4) how has skydiving changed you life?I was very shy & "mousy" before I started jumping, it has boosted my self-confidence 100%, my opinion, if I can jump out of an airplane, I can do anything!;)

Thanks alot for answering my questions! I plan to copy this to use in a display as a marketing tool when I take this to the streets. I am so passionate of skydiving, and I am extremely excited about introducing new people to this amazing sport/lifestyle. Thanks in advance for your help!

I had always wanted to do it for as long as I can remember. I had a fascination with flying--I used to make little round parachutes for my Lego men and also made planes out of Legos.

About two years. My first jump was April 21, 2002. I started student progression in August 2002. I have 26 jumps, and I wish I had more. Damn shoulder injuries (October 2002 and May 2004). [:/] Wish me luck; I'm having shoulder surgery this Friday.

Tandem progression: 3 tandem jumps, 7 AFF levels, and coach jumps to get to 20/25 jumps required for A.

Well, I noticed that I had a lot more confidence after my first jump...I was willing to go out and try a lot more new things. The most major change--I met the man who is now my husband after I dislocated my shoulder. Not a bad trade-off...and he flies video! B|

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

summer of 2003 a buddy from work talked me into trying it....

Just over a year....56 jumps

did 6 IAD jumps last summer and then took an AFF course this summer.........
AFF rocks compared to IAD...

Well i basically can't stop thinking about jumping...
I spend most nights after all my stuff is done surfing and reading and watching movies on skydiving and base jumping...
Next spring can't come soon enough.....

==============================
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

As time goes by I always love the people and beauty of the sky and scenery, but truthfully I have very little time for the scenery in freefall (unless solo sometimes) and if there's a lot of canopy traffic.

Once you jump more you will decide if a team is for you or whether you just jump for the pleasure of it with no set schedule. You will decidee whether you like freefly, R/W, CRW, whatever, or some combination thereof. The more versatile and current you are, the more fun skydiving can be.

You may also find yourself getting more conservative when weather conditions are marginal, since you will have seen and experienced more. There's always time to jump another day.

Lastly, you will come away with some lifelong friends.

I know that wasn't your question, but it seemed relevant.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

1) My skydiving obsessed room mate talked about it non-stop and nagged me utnil I finally went

2) first jump was sept. 03, waited a grueling 6 months for michigan winter to expire, then started back up in May 2004, 89 jumps

3)progressed 3 Tandems, ground course, 3 statics, 4 IAF

4) Less money, Less freetime, less homework time, less excitement in normal conversations, a new career? B|

BE THE BUDDHA!

For years I thought "It must be beautiful and fun to jump". One day, being 48 years old I said to myself "Hey, don't be an idiot, if you think you would like it, try it! What are you waiting for? Life is short enough"

Fifth anniversary of my first jump on saturday December 4. Beer shortage expected the following days... 370 jumps (around 70 something per year)

Static line

I've posted it before. Skydiving to me is the sport of the four pleasures:

1) the pleasure of freefall
2) the pleasure of the canopy ride
3) the pleasure of disconnecting of my daily worries
4) the pleasure of friendship

I do not think they need any explanation...

It has changed my life since it provided me with what I described. I am aware that one risks being overenthusiastic and bore and scare away all whuffos, friends and family.

As everything in life, one has to put skydiving in perspective and not make it your only driving force. And also, just as everything in life once again, it is not gold all that shines. Skydiving has it's downs too, just let time be the teacher.

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

Just remember to be honest to them about the injuries/death rate also.

I quit talking about skydiving 24/7 after about my first 200 jumps so I know where you are coming from... but one thing that really is over looked is that this is not a safe activity and there is a very real possibility of injury/death. I've paid about $3500 in hospital bills due to jumping, I've got some friends that spend upwards of $30k in bills due to their injuries. Be honest and don't try to sugar coat it.

>4) how has skydiving changed you life?

Cost me the same amount as a new car in the last 4 years for jumps and gear, cost me all my non-jumping friends I had when I started because I just could'nt shut up about jumping or take time to spend with them anymore. About cost me my job since I could'nt stay focused enough to do well at it. Not all the aspects of the sport are positive.

I might be negative... but honestly you need to go spend a lot more time at the DZ to understand why its not as peachy as it appears when you start.

If you can't kill yourself doing it, its not a sport... its a game.

I could not have said it better....

so what Eric said....

....But... where will you find me and Eric this weekend, neither of us can find any place better to be......

Chris

I second Mr Phreezone and Mr GroundZero. Especially the part about sugarcoating skydiving and the effect on your worklife.

4) On the plus side skydiving has given me a bunch of new, lifelong friends, both in my home country and the USA and some of the richest and visceral experiences of my life. These include flocking with 15 other wingsuiters out of a skyvan and experiencing what it feels like to watch the ground and a river scream up at you after jumping off a bridge.

It also offers you the opportunity to travel and see countries from an angle that few others ever see.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I was one of those people who always swore they would never jump out of an airplane, then I did a tandem when I was on holidays in feb this year. I only did it because I realised how much it scared me, and I hate thinking there's something I can't do, so I made myself do it.

Started AFF 6 months ago, 85 jumps.

AFF.

I no longer have a social life outside the dz. :S If I spend a saturday night away from the dz I am either too tired to stay out all night because I jumped all day, or too poor to afford drinks. I'm also pleased to say I've met some of the nicest, friendliest people I've ever known at the dz, people who in normal day to day life I probably never would have met. I love how skydiving has people from all walks of life and how (for the most part) they can get along. When I'm under canopy on a sunset load nothing else matters, and that's why I love this sport so much.
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

A few friends of mine and I went to Hinckley in August of '99, to do tandems, it was supposed to be just one jump. The following spring I started training. I don't know what they're doing on weekends anymore, but you know where to find me!

This is my fourth season, I've got almost 350 jumps so far.

Static line.

I've made the closest friends ever.

I have more fun than I've ever had with my clothes on.

It's been the best thing for my state of mind. (Who needs a shrink when you have a parachute?)

Spent alot of money and I don't regret it.

It's been hard on the relationship with my wife, but it's brought my second daughter Sarah and I closer together. (she started jumping this Spring.)

Messed with focus at work and home.

I used to bore people to death taking about it, but now I get amused by the "what happens if both chutes don't open?" questions. I love the look on people's face when I matter-of-factly say "I die".

People at work now say I'm more positive and upbeat even when I'm stressing out. (After I got past the annoying phase-)

I love that I can go to a new DZ by myself a thousand miles away and within 30 minutes of arrival be on a plane with folks I feel I've know for years.

Live Bravely

Though I need to get over my fear of heights but didn’t work still shit scared :S
:P

About 1 and a half year / 74 jumpsB|

3) What method of training did you do?

Static line couldn’t afford AFF (then I sold my mommies TV and Fridge to buy all my gear, she wasn’t pleased):$:$:$

4) How has skydiving changed you life?

Loss of friends due to incoherent babbling about skydiving all the time :P
Loss of food due to spending everything I own on skydiving:P
Loss of girlfriend due to spending all my free time either at the DZ or on DZ.com:D
Loss of family ties due to same as before you sort of get the picture :D

had to edit just to say i would change anything I love the sport and the people i've met who are in the sport. it helped me through alot of hard times and i promise you this for me nothing seems wrong while i'm jumping for the weekend , some people have drug i have skydiving and i'd rather spend all my money on a sport with memory's that i can remember and enjoy with other people not only skydivers . this is the best sport in the world and everyone should try it once (cause unfortunately it ain't for everyone)

I always wanted to jump but spent a good deal of my life severely overweight. After I lost all my weight I started jumping. . .and I LOVE it.

November 16, 2003, I made my first jump. AFF level 1. I have 158 jumps in just under a year.

AFF

Well, made me more broke. . .but other than that not a lot except that I do have more confidence and take less crap from people. . .but that could be the weight loss too so not sure which.
FGF #6
Darcy

>bunch of new, lifelong friends

Don't count on it. If you or your new friends suddenly decide to either stop jumping or take some time off from the sport you'll quickly see who is and who is'nt a friend since most people will quit talking to you if you are gone from the DZ for too long. I used to talk/email some jumpers from my DZ all the time.. then they quit jumping and the communication trickled to 0 in no time. [:/]

Look at the experience levels of the people replying. I hate to be so blunt but... at the start almost all jumpers are giddy and all they can think of is jumping. After putting in a few years and a couple hundred jumps it tends to change most jumpers view of the sport. The rose colored glasses come off and you see the bad side of the sport as well as the good. I used to talk 24/7 about jumping to anyone that would listen (and sometimes to those that would'nt). Now you have to drag it out of me that I jump. New jumpers tend to wear clothes that scream "I'M A SKYDIVER!!!" to the general population where those with thousands of jumps in my experience tend not to play it up so much. I'd never try and get anyone I know into the sport anymore.

....But... where will you find me and Eric this weekend, neither of us can find any place better to be......

Chris, Deland bigways... I owe you a beer :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I was working during the week on my PhD, and working at the weekends fixing computers, and found myself generally bored....so thought I would try and find something interesting to do....had done martial arts on and off for years and didn't think that was going to cut it, snowboarding in scotland is a bit of joke, then the idea of going skydiving seemed appealing....B|

3 and a bit years.....470, not as much as I would like, but jumping in Scotland you take what you can get, and get abroad as much as you can afford. :S

AFF......I did a static line jump when I had about 150 jumps, just to see what it was like :)
Changed my priorities as to whats important in life....

1) what made you start jumping / how you became interested? Skydiving was always something I wanted to try once. I saw a flier for a drop zone in a sporting goods store, so I took it, and booked a tandem. After 1 jump, I was hooked.

2) How long have you been jumping? How many jumps do you have? I have been jumping 10 years, and have 989 jumps. I think I've made more jumps each year than I did in the prior year.

3)What method of training did you do? Tandem progression.

4) how has skydiving changed you life? Skydiving became a place where I could get away from any worries I had. When I was at the drop zone, all I thought about was jumping. That "benefit" has faded a little, but I still look forward to jumping every weekend. Jumping always improves my mood.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

1) What made you start jumping / how you became interested?

I got interested by seeing it on TV/movies. There wasn't any one in particular, though. It looked like alot of fun plus it was pretty bad ass. I had talked about it a few times, but never knew really where to go or look to make a jump. Found out my cousin was interested too.

One year, there was an air show where skydivers jumped in. I didn't see them, but I did hear over the PA that they were coming back the next week to do tandems. So my cousin and I did tandems. I loved it so much I knew immediately that this was something that I wanted to do.

5 years. 288 jumps.

3) What method of training did you do?

Static-line progression.

4) How has skydiving changed you life?

Met awesome people that I never would have met before. Gone places, done things, been in situations (good and bad) that I never would have done before. Gave me more self confidence kind of like "If I can skydive, I can do anything." type of thing.

--Art
Sky-div'ing (ski'div'ing) n. A modern sport that involves parties, bragging, sexual excesses, the imbibing of large quantities of beer, and, on rare occasions, parachuting from aircraft.

I grew up around it, my parents jump, so it was inevitable that one day i would jump too.

I did my first tandem right after i turned 18 over 2 years ago, and did a few more through out that time when i would bring friends out to jump. Went through training in august, only have 18 jumps.

tandem progression AFF

It didnt change anything, since i am around it all the time, and it has always been my life. I have other good "non jumper" friends from school, and were friends with skydivers before i became a skydiver. I love this sport and it is very important to me, the only thing it really changed i guess was that i met my boyfriend at the DZ, but that was long before i went through AFF, and he is important to me so i guess with out skydiving, i wouldnt have met him, but i guess i can thank my parents for that. Skydiving is fun, and i love it and wouldnt trade it for the world!

my body, my choice

1)Skyhawks - saw Canadian Forces demo team - which included my uncle when I was a kid

2) 2 Canadian seasons - 278 jumps

3) Tandem - PFF (modified version of AFF)

4) Skydiving is my life now

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson