pccoder

Beer for 1st times?

Could this system be changed?

You can always buy soda or pizzas or nothing.
I doubt very much that the ritual can be changed though, it has become a part of dropzone life. there is a great thread in length about this that will make you think many ways, but you need to do a search. The whole 'first time' rule, is world wide and is a growing force,

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

It varies from dropzone to dropzone and from person to person anyway.

At my DZ you will either go to the off licence and buy a crate of beer, or put some money behind the bar and ring the bell to signify that there are free drinks available from the bar - you choose what you want to order. I think that is what happens at a lot of UK dropzones

You don't have to buy beer. You just need to get something to share with your friends. Usually I buy beer; however, my first day after the apple tree incident, I brought apple turnovers. Everyone laughed and had a nice little treat. It's just about sharing and having fun.

Don't feel pressured into anything. There are tons of things you can do to celebrate with everyone.

B

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

I heard the same thing at my DZ - just bring something to share. I'm a beer drinker myself, so have no trouble with buying beer (and did on my first reserve ride), but I'd hope folks would respect your decision to bring something else.

Love the apple turnover story, btw!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I can understand where you would feel odd buying beer if you dont drink, I have been to several DZ's & seen a lot of firsts, I have drank plenty of boughten DZ beer, but I cant recall ever seeing the rule enforced so to speak...I currently owe 6 cases to z-hills, and when I get a job, I will buy up, but then again I drink, so its good for me too...;)

you will soon click and realise never to say the word "first" it is always your second time....never first. It can get expensive, but what goes around...comes around(sometimes). I went to a new dz.....first jump at the dz, first jump out of a porter or turbine, first off dz landing, first 8 way. I think i still owe beer, it was a bloddy good night though!;)

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

It's just about sharing and having fun.

That's very true. But wait, there's more. While you're sharing and having fun, you can be learning more from the experienced jumpers. The sharing creates an atmosphere where everyone relaxes and talks and there's a lot of teaching going on in there. Everything from how to get better performance out of your canopy to something that may save your life someday in a pinch.

It shouldn't have to be about beer if you're not a drinker. But if you are a drinker, then it most definitely should be about beer.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Why is it a big deal to buy someone beer even if you don't drink it yourself? I never did like the taste of beer(don't like coffee or tea either, so sue me), but I've bought beer plenty of times.

But if it's a big deal, just buy pizza instead. Pizza at the end of a day of skydiving is awesome.

I once owed beer and pizza for landing next to a road. I think I spent like 70 bucks on pizza that night, but everyone had a great time. You'll never see a bigger grin on a skydiver's face than when you walk up to them with beer and pizza right when they land from the sunset load.

Its not about the beer, its about the social side of skydiving, about having respect for your friends and having a good time together.

If you don't drink at all, buy cokes or Dr. Peppers or something, or buy some pizzas...you know, just be cool and hang out with your new jump buddies.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Thanks everyone for your answers.

I have two children, live with my girlfriend and work fulltime during the week. I have plenty of responsibilities and find that the whole dropzone lifestyle (jump at day and party at night) doesn't fit into my routine like it would have 10 years ago. So, I suppose part of me is jealous that it is all happening around me and I find myself feeling like an outsider for these beer purchases followed by drinking and discussion at the end of the day (I can't remember EVER being there at the end of the day).

I typically, show up, do 3, 4, 5, etc. jumps and then go home. I enjoy the company of the friends I jump with and always look forward to returning and jumping with them again. However, that's about as far as it ever goes. We don't hang out afterward or drink, etc. once the jumping is over. Not that I don't want to, it's just that I've gotten older and don't have all the time I had when I was younger and was only responsible for myself.

Thanks again for all the input.

PcCoder.net

It is the social side of the sport and a tradition. I myself don't drink anymore but will buy others drinks. On my first jump I bought the group sodas because it was just before noon and it worked out well for some chatter but with jumps later.

I did get tagged just a bit ago for using the term "This is my first......" I did buy beer after the day was over at the DZ bar and we all had some very good discussions and I learned even more. We newbies are like information sponges.

Its not about the beer, its about the social side of skydiving, about having respect for your friends and having a good time together.

If you don't drink at all, buy cokes or Dr. Peppers or something, or buy some pizzas...you know, just be cool and hang out with your new jump buddies.

You said it dave. One thing i thought was totally awesome is when Amy (soarfree) brought coolers full of water and asst. gatorade for everyone to drink during the day. Way much better than beer.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Hey that's me :)
Just when you're about to post, sunshine does it for you. She packs, she posts... one of these days I'll see how she jumps ;)

Yeah, coolers full of gatorade and water on a hot day went over VERY well! And being new it also helped me meet lots of people who were happy to jump with me.

Well behaved women rarely make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

When you give of yourself without expecting anything in return, and feel good about it as a result, your generosity will come back to you ten times over.

If this is not happening where you skydive, you may want to shift a few things.

People at our DZ buy beer, sodas, pizza, bagels, donuts - whatever. It's not about what the give, it's the giving itself that draws us all closer together.
Arrive Safely

John

Beer...I love BEER. Anyways beer is something that must be used to celebrate any new thing. love beer. Speaking of that I will need to bring some beer to the DZ next time I jump...doing a throw out transition.

Keep the beer policy

"Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Beer is good. I like beer but it has to be ballanced by the folks at the DZ sharing a cold one every now and then at the end of the day to lubricate the process. My first DZ did this, they had a nice atmosphere at the end of the day with a few folks sharing a beer and maybe a chat around a campfire and you could soak up the skydiving lore. All was right with the world.

Other DZs aren't as friendly, they evaporate at sunset.

Still others head for the bar & it's not quite the same. I LIKE bringing & sharing cases of beer, it makes me feel like Santa Clause:$ for a sec, but it's not as much fun to bring beer when you always have to bring beer if you want one yourself, or you bring cases of beer and nobody's up for a cold one on a Saturday night after jumping.

So depends on the DZ & the vibe IMHO, but I like the idea.

You think owing beer for the first freefall, 4 way etc is bad? If you even said "first time" on my dz in relation to anything you automatically owed a case. Not everyone would pay up as much as they owed by those rules, but it at least pretty much guaranteed the minimums.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

Some folks up in Tulsa,OK fondly remember my ice cream floats in lieu of beer, for my first jump back after shattering my Tib/Fib.

Its really up to the individual, to beer or not to beer, and some DZ's try hard to enforce their beer rules and if you don't buy then don't expect to enjoy others beer ect...
Sitting around drinking that beer (or whatever) is a goodtime for making friends and learning from the "No shit!, there I was..." stories.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

This is one of my FIRST posts ...daaamm thats alota beer I owe all you guy's !!:(
But to get back to the point ..its about the sharing with your new community. I had such a good time doing my AFF at PPC in South Africa, that another UK student and myself wanted to repay everyone (newbies,JM's,admin..etc) so we bought a PIG !!
That is in the light of having a spit-roast...it was a great night , everyone pitched in to organise it from salads to a Lord of the Rings Theme Night. Cost was not an issue .. everyone pulled together and it was the thought that counted. We left the DZ feeling we where leaving old friends behind.

-------------------------------------------------
Please forgive the sp errors, I have dyslexia. Don't laugh ... the last time i went to a toga party, I went dressed as a goat !!

To me, buying the beer is not for you. It is to share with others. Regardless of whether you drink or not, someone there is going to drink the beer.

I find the argument, "But I don't drink" to be self-serving. So? When you buy a gift for someone, is it always something you like? Probably not. Think of the beer in the same way.

Everyone who does drink will appreciate that you bought them some cold tasty beverages.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.