From http://www.skyventure.co.uk/skyventure.html?/latest_information.html

"WE ARE THERE!!!
Enough money now raised
Tunnel being ordered next week
Watch this space
Thanks to all supporters"

From an e-mail from Simon Ward:

[snip boring investor stuff]
I am particularly keen to increase our Founder Members Club and skydiver investor base. In our view, the more skydivers involved the better; Skydivers will make up a large part of the business, they will promote their company to other skydivers, it gives the UK skydiver membership a very good opportunity to increase their skills level in preparation for national and international competition and it gives us a tremendous opportunity to attract more people into Skydiving in the UK, which in turn helps our business at SkyVenture.

During this week, we shall be ordering our new wind tunnel.

As always, thank you for your support and I will be in contact to advise you of progress on a regular basis.
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

That's great :)Maybe the competition will get the Paris tunnel to drop their rates a little too, since all those poor badweatherridden brits won't have to come all the way there to practice ;).

Aerokart will probably lose a lots of business. I've heard very bad things about the flow in their tunnel. Skyventure seem to have this sorted. Also, as you say, their prices are ridiculous as they offer it mainly as a fun 'theme' park ride.

Also looking forward to the other UK tunnel, with a 16ft diameter its going to kick ass.

"This isn't an iron lung, people. You can actually disconnect and not die." -Dave

Is this going to be designed for the general public or is it for skydivers?
in new zealand they have one, a pretty shit one at that. Anyway it is advertised big time for the tourists and is in the tourist town. If you are a jumper you get a discount. I think it cost like 30 U.S. for 6 minutes.;)

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I think it will be for both - am not sure that there are enough skydivers in spitting distance to make it a feasible business proposition if it was exclusive. They are fortunate in that it will be sited to some other "extreme experience" type attractions such as an indoor ski-slope, so it will probably appeal to the stag party brigade:S
Never try to eat more than you can lift

They are going to be marketing it to the general public and skydivers. I think there are going to be three rates:
* Weekend rate, for wuffos
* Weekday rate, for both
* Night rate, for skydivers who want to do a tunnel camp or tunnel after skydiving.

So this is obviously to encourage the skydivers to come at off peak times, it is after all the wuffos who they will make the most profit on.

im pretty surprised they didnt have the idea to put the wind tunnel at one of the dropzones, that would get a hell of a lot of use i think at one of the larger ones. if you ask me, the location of the tunnel really makes it seem like its more orientated to the average joe than the skydiving community.

PS: im rather gla the venture finally has the funding together after all this time, i almost fell out of my chair when i got the email from simon!

if you ask me, the location of the tunnel really makes it seem like its more orientated to the average joe than the skydiving community.

It probably is. Thats what I would do if if was my money invested in it. There are a few thousand jumper in the UK, and a few million average joes as you call them.
Remster

if you ask me, the location of the tunnel really makes it seem like its more orientated to the average joe than the skydiving community.

So is the Orlando one. They make the most money with all the wuffos jumping in for the "thrill of their life" rather than through skydivers. Think of it this way: 2000 skydivers all buy 1 hour, that would be - if the tunnel runs just 12 hours a day - about 166 days . So you still have 199 days left to be used through .... other people. And while the skydivers drive whereever the tunnel is - these others don't.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

Who gives a shit where it is. If it too far from your home just be happy that it gives you a great excuse to go on holiday for the weeknd with the boys and leave the missus at home. It all works out in the end

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

...and Milton keynes makes perfect sense. It is central so it has a large catchment area, its population is expanding as well as being very young with a high disposable income, there are synergys with the Snowdome (similar market for a start), and Skyventure can get its power supply at a discount rate. Also if you read the prospectus you'll see that Skyventure UK have expansion plans to site up to 6 tunnels in the UK but they envisage the other ones being of a smaller diametre and therefore less suited to full on skydivers, meaning that these will be targeted even more at wuffos.

And as for skydivers most Southern counties and Midlands skydivers will be between one and two hours away. For European or even Scottish skydivers Luton airport and its low cost carriers are also only 30 minutes away.

A windtunnel would not survive if it relied on the 4-5000 regular skydivers in the UK. To survive and to make a profit it has to attract wuffos. Having said that the start up costs of Bodyflight Bedford are much lower than for Skyventure so they may not have to rely on wuffos as much as Skyventure will.

I couldnt have said it better myself ;o)

It is an expensive business to start up... so you need to go for the largest market available to you...

This is why I want to be clear from the start, I see the Bedford Tunnel as a skydiver facility primarily. Block bookings and groups focussed on training.

If I were in the position of building from scratch, that definitely wouldnt be the case.

:)

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

with the weather in this country i can see skydivers shifting to where the tunnels are. I know if i stay in this country next year i will shift there and run a pub if i can not get work at the tunnel itself. Would be nice for me a backpacker to work in the tunnel, lots of tunnel time;)

.Karnage Krew Gear Store