Levin

winter sucks

47 degrees outside right now. just had a thought. anybody ever try to wire space heaters into a jump plane? a 1/2 dozen+ would fit great under the seats in an otter. walgreens has lower back warmers for sale for $3.99. similar to hand and toe warmers.

It's going to be in the 20s tonight here in Chicago.

that'd be enough to make me move south for the winter.

why would anyone want to do something so foolish? besides, we have an otter with heat!!!

we have an otter with heat!!!

would they happen to be space heaters rigged up under the seats?? if so i'd like to know how the were installed. i'd hate to splice them into the wrong wire. will they run off an airplane battery or is that the wrong current?

Visit Russia.
We have something about 0 C (32F) right now and in two weeks here will be -15 C (~0F). However, our planes and helicopters have really good heating systems B| It's a big pleasure to get into a warm comfortable Mi-8! -30 C (-25F) on the earth, -60 C (-78F) on altitude [:/], +20C (68F) onboard ;)

yeah winter sucks.

We had a couple days last year below -55C with the windchill (that's about -67 F)
we usually have at least 5 months where it doesn't get above -20C. (usually around -25 to -40)

o well. grab a set of skis, and a snomobile, then dream of next season ;)

There was a time a few years ago that the heater in one of our Otters was inop. That was a cold ride.

I just dress in lots of layers, maximizing the benefit of microfiber clothing over my torso. It has worked well for me over the years. The handwarmers are great - I use them on occasion. I usually stow them in the outside pocket of my jumpsuit before I exit.
Arrive Safely

John

We jump all year up here in Wisconsin. It's not a big deal and alot of fun to jump in the winter if you dress for success. And you don't have to bundle up like Kenny from South Park.

But then again, winter weather does make a great excuse to head south and visit a few southern-dwelling friends!

Easy Does It

:D 47 is cold? :D Heck...you don't even break out the long underwear for that temp.

2 of my friends have done nekkid jumps every month in Wisconsin - and yes, even during the cold winter months of January and February.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

walgreens has lower back warmers for sale for $3.99. similar to hand and toe warmers.

Maybe urban ledgend but those chemical heaters work on low level combustion, the forced air of free fall might make them a little warmer then you want (based on what I assume is an urban ledgend too long to post here)

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

I think on this note its time to go buy some decent cold weather under armor to prepare for the low 20s weekends.

Low 40s this weekend. Should be fun jumpin. :D
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

There was a time a few years ago that the heater in one of our Otters was inop. That was a cold ride

i haven't been in a jump plane yet where the heater up by the pilot heated the entire plane. they all spill air thru cracks and the door. feels like a knife piercing your skin. especially on the back of your neck. i thought about wearing a scarf but in a sit in freefall it might strangle ya. occasionally the ceiling panel in our otter partly falls down. lots of colorful wires up there. one of them has to be a good powersource for space heaters.

The handwarmers are great - I use them on occasion. I usually stow them in the outside pocket of my jumpsuit before I exit.

i'm thinking about stowing them in my helmet.

:D 47 is cold? :D Heck...you don't even break out the long underwear for that temp.

i break out the long underwear just to take my dog out to the bathroom.

2 of my friends have done nekkid jumps every month in Wisconsin - and yes, even during the cold winter months of January and February.

i bet that takes balls. except when you get to the door you don't have any.

Maybe urban ledgend but those chemical heaters work on low level combustion, the forced air of free fall might make them a little warmer then you want (based on what I assume is an urban ledgend too long to post here)

sounds like i get to try out my own myth buster. hoping what you say turns out to be fact and not legend.

Low 40s this weekend. Should be fun jumpin. :D

I just broke the coat out for the first time this week. I was in shorts last weekend.

If the weather holds, I might be able to get back into the air this weekend. I'm tempting fate with the injury but I need my knees in the breeze. I will have to borrow a rig since mine is out of date.

47 isn't the problem it's the low clouds.

I’m okay with jumping in the cold. Nothing a few layers of thermal clothing won’t cure. It’s the damn low clouds and rain we get here in the winter.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP