Levin

winter sucks

Ohh man, dont say that word "winter". It sucks. Well we leave for florida on the 20th for a week, get used to the nice warm weather and tailgate exits, then right back to good ol' 182s and low temperatures.

Whos gonna be in DeLand thanksgiving week? I wanna get a lot of jumps in.

--I don't even know enough to know that I dont know--

then right back to good ol' 182s and low temperatures

i actually don't mind the 182's in the winter if i can sit by the pilot and have the heater blowing on the back of my neck. if i have to sit anywhere else in that plane, i'm not getting in it.

edit: typos

Levin, try jumping with something more that that thong of a canopy you have;) The thermal retention qualities of a larger canopy would definatly help you. Looks like tomorrow will be a wash out Hopefully we can jump on sunday... see ya out there
Liquor in the front, Poker in the rear

Levin, try jumping with something more that that thong of a canopy you have The thermal retention qualities of a larger canopy would definatly help you. Looks like tomorrow will be a wash out Hopefully we can jump on sunday... see ya out there

headdown and a thong of a canopy gets me out of the freezing ass cold much faster. i've been doing double and triple back to backs with a spectre120 and a sabre150. those are some big canopies. i actually kinda like flying them for something different. however, i've picked a bad time of the year to start learning CRW. but since catfish is leaving in a few months i've gotta suck it up and cram some lessons.

btw, that's your 1st post, tim. beer!!

>anybody ever try to wire space heaters into a jump plane?

1. Wrong voltage (24V vs 120V)
2. Wrong type (AC vs DC)
3. You'd overload the aircraft's generators. Even a small heater takes around 1000 watts, which is 40 amps at 24 volts.

All powered aircraft have heat available. It's both needed at altitude and easily available from the engine's waste heat. Otters have bleed air; just reconnect the plumbing.

47 isn't the problem it's the low clouds.

I’m okay with jumping in the cold. Nothing a few layers of thermal clothing won’t cure. It’s the damn low clouds and rain we get here in the winter.

Low clouds can be fun. Nothing like sitting at the DZ all geared up (in Winter clothes, too) waiting with the pilot, looking up at the sky for that "bubble" of clear air just higher than 2k so you can do a hop and pop.

Yeah, they get old, but there's a special charm in those low jumps. Like trying not to get distracted by the guy waving at you from the hangar while you're spotting. Or making sure your hackey is still in place while standing on the step. Waving to the pilot with one hand and pulling with the other without rolling. Measuring exit separation by when the previous jumper reaches inflation. Watching the 182 fly the pattern and land underneath you.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

1. Wrong voltage (24V vs 120V)
2. Wrong type (AC vs DC)
3. You'd overload the aircraft's generators. Even a small heater takes around 1000 watts, which is 40 amps at 24 volts.

thanks bill von! i don't understand electrical stuff to much. i get the bottom line is don't go screwing with the wires in the plane. i was hoping not have to use batteries. 6+ space heaters is alot of c or d batteries. but oh well, it'll be worth it.

There's a "few" DZ's in FL that are awesome to jump at. :D Haven't been to all listed below, but go play.

ZHills
Deland
Lake Wales
Sebastian
Titusville
Skydive Miami

hmmm...I feel like I'm missing some.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Hi Levin,
10-4 on winter sux!!! Talking about heaters in airplanes, When "Shark Air" first showed up at Perris it had no door and no heat and it was I think the 83' Turkey boogie and it was COLD!! Instead of calling the plane Shark Air we called it "Sierra Arctic!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

in '95 or '96 before i started jumping my dad told me one of east texas skydiving club's (now skydive east texas) 182's didn't have a door on it thru the winter. they jumped it anyway. he said it was absolutely miserable sitting in the back of that plane. i can't imagine. i don't think i would have done it. even back when i didn't know any better.

There's a "few" DZ's in FL that are awesome to jump at. :D Haven't been to all listed below, but go play.

ZHills
Deland
Lake Wales
Sebastian
Titusville
Skydive Miami

hmmm...I feel like I'm missing some.

doesn't matter.. that's plenty.. and they are all warm.. all winter.. see you guys at one of them this winter.. :DB|:ph34r:;)
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

Hey Levin

I remember that time in Beaumont when they had the CASA and the pilot was backing it up and broke the tailgate. They had to remove that section of the tailgate. It was truly cold and everyone was in blankets climbing to altitude.

Hey what is Mazzy wearing in that photo?

I remember when I went home (South Bend, Indiana) during Christmas week. It was unusually warm for Indiana in the 40's or about 50 I think. I went down to Frankfort to jump. Dressed warm and joined some folks on a 6-way out of a 206. They had a great heater on it and the usual foldout door.

I was to busy concentrating on having fun on the dive to worry about the cold. The dive went great.

The wind was howling at exit and deployment altitude. We must have got out about 4 miles from the DZ but we all made it back. I backed up on my old F111 GP Wildfire 176 sq ft nine cell all the way to about 1000 feet but still touched down ok.

Chris

One good thing I'm just about over this frikin cold, allergies or whatever it was thanks to Claritan D and Flonase.

I remember that time in Beaumont when they had the CASA and the pilot was backing it up and broke the tailgate. They had to remove that section of the tailgate.

i wish i had been there to see that

It was truly cold and everyone was in blankets climbing to altitude

and then again i'm glad i wasn't

Hey what is Mazzy wearing in that photo?

That's FrankenMazz. there's a few more pictures of her here www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1320378;search_string=who%20is%20your%20pet%20for%20halloween;#1320378