bluewaterstream

Flat packing a Triathlon

Aerodyne recommends PRO packing the Triathlon, which is what I've been doing, but I'd like to try jumping a flat pack with it. Is this a bad idea, considering that the manufacturer recommends a PRO pack? I understand that the opening characteristics will be different, but can I actually cause harm to the canopy by packing it different than the manufacturer recommends?

- John

I've owned two Tri's in my skydiving time and both were very pack sensitive. B| I was having no luck at all with my usual pro pack or flat pack. It was slamming me so hard I could barely breath. I finally got a video tape that shows how to properly pro pack the Tri and after following that, I have real nice soft openings. None of the hurtfull ones hurt the canopy, just me. Good luck if you decide to do it.

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

I just bought a tri-220.
It doesn't have packing tabs :(

I suppose I'm just gonna hafta learn how to pro-pack before i finish learning how to flat-pack proporly.

What about that video about packing tri's correctly? where can you get that? Aerodyne, I'm assuming?

Thanks

Brant

--------

Strange. I own a new Triathlon and it's almost always pro packed, I have about 80 jumps on it and it is consistently *very* soft on opening, softer than any other canopy I've jumped. It always snivels for a long time. It does seem to have a large slider on it but that's what it came with.

Even with my own sloppy pack jobs it opens well.

800 jumps on a Triathalon 260, loaded at .95. Flat-packed every one. Only a rare inexplicable hard opening - but that seems to happen on every canopy.

You don't really need the packing tabs - just grab the top of each cell where the tabs would be if you had 'em. Or have a rigger sew some on.

Aerodyne recommends PRO packing the Triathlon, which is what I've been doing, but I'd like to try jumping a flat pack with it.

- John

I've jumped Triathlons for years and always PRO packed them, but a good friend of mine always flat packed his Triathlon, and he has been jumping Triathlons since they first came out. He's never had any major problems, but I've never really paid attention to his deployments or asked him how his openings were. I'm assuming they're okay or he would be packing differently.

PRO packing is not hard to learn, and is quicker to do once you get the hang of it. If it's one of those big ass Triathlons, I can understand the preference to flat pack...

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I know it was packing error on my part but boy those two spanked me all the time. And I'm pretty cautious about not dumping in a track. After I did it "their" way, it was wonderful.

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

There was a thread in Gear/rigging about packing Tri's recently. I had always been told rolling the nose would get you slammed on a lot of Tri's ... and a friend had one blow out on her (pretty new at the time too) when a packer did that on hers. Anyway ... I emailed Aerodyne about it since someone mentioned the video showing a method that did involve a manner of rolling the nose, but my paper instructions that came with mine did not show it. Seems their video has a different method on it than the manual illustrates. Here is part of the email I got in reply

"The recomended packing method in the manual and video worked best in our experience, but as I said, is not the end all be all. I know that this hasn't been the most direct answer to your question, but just wanted to answer you honestly. In the question of rolling the nose, typically this slows the openings of most canopies, however I would
only recommend it if you were having opening problems."

They didn't really acknowledge that the video and the manual show different methods ... but other than that basically said that different canopies of the same model function a bit differently due to slight variations in fabric, tape, and lines. They further said that the bulk of a parachute can vary in size by as much as 10% even in the same size in model ... surprise!!
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

PRO packing is not hard to learn, and is quicker to do once you get the hang of it. If it's one of those big ass Triathlons, I can understand the preference to flat pack...

I agree, PRO packing is easy and fast. My Tri has been opening great with my PRO packs and I'm not planning on changing my packing style for good, I just want to experiment with different methods of packing for about 5 - 10 jumps to compare the difference in opening characteristics. I've never jumped a flat pack, so I'd like to have that experience. Plus, I'm currently learning how to pack reserves(from a rigger), so I was also considering maybe trying out one of those pack jobs on a Hop & Pop(open ASAP) with my main just for fun.

Once again, here's what I'm really wondering: "Is this a bad idea, considering that the manufacturer recommends a PRO pack? ...can I actually cause harm to the canopy by packing it different than the manufacturer recommends?" I wouldn't think so, but I just want to make sure.

I flat/stack pack, the nose pointed down, line groups stacked on top of each other, tail flaked and slightly wrapped around.

No problem with off heading openings.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Once again, here's what I'm really wondering: "Is this a bad idea, considering that the manufacturer recommends a PRO pack? ...can I actually cause harm to the canopy by packing it different than the manufacturer recommends?" I wouldn't think so, but I just want to make sure.

I'm not a rigger but my own personal, biased opinion is that . . . NO, flat packing won't harm the canopy. I've flat packed EVERY "square" parachute that I've owned with no problems. (and yes, I've seen the Aerodyne packing video)

as far as I know, you can flat pack or pro pack almost any normal square canopy (excludes crossbraced pocket rockets probably)

that being said, i've always pro packed mine and the openings have been fine. except lately, but thats because its badly outta trim.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I've read all the post, hoping it wasn't said yet...

I'm stealing this line from someone on dz.com, or, and I'll go back and check my canopy manuaul, it could be in it, but damn if I can remember.

Loved it when I read it, and it really rings true, whether the other method works or not.

If your packing your canopy by a method other than what's recommended in the manual for that canopy.

Then your a test jumper.

very sage advice in my book, course, I have less than 10,000 skydives, maybe after a few thousand I'll ease up a bit. B|

jjf
It's a gas, gas, gas...