namgrunt

theft on the drop zone

just wondering how safe is out personal property on the d.z. such as wallets,pocketbooks,equipment.etc.

any special" rules of thumb"?

what d.z.,s should we avoid due to past history
59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

There was a time where I never worried... Times have changed and on a DZ other than my home, I treat my personals the same as if I'm at a mall.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

interesting thread. i never gave it much thought leaving a trail of my stuff everywhere i go (phone, keys, etc). i guess my dz naver gave me a reason to be concerned but yeah, theft can happen anywhere i guess.[:/] recently another dz in my state (skydive temple - do a search) was actually broken into & had a ton of gear stolen... so watch that too.
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

Skydivers are no different than anyone else. Most are honest, but some will steal from other skydivers. Also got tandem students and their friends who may be tempted to grab something. But I only know of one DZ thief, and it was a skydiver.

Dave

My dz is small enough that I know most of the jumpers and who would worry me (not really anyone) but we have a stream of tandems that come through on the weekends.... Thats a whole nother story.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

The things that get lost at our DZ are things like Barigo altimeters, pro-tracks, black gloves, goggles. Stuff that everybody has, stuff that looks the same, so mostly I tthink it's a case of mistaken identity... Though a pro-track might be different [:/]
A lot of this stuff turn up again too.

I did lose a go-Fast longsleeve T once, and lost a pair of FF pantz for like half a year...

And I try not to leave my camera's and stuff in plain view of the tandem crowd but then again, I leave my laptop at the bar :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

interesting thread. i never gave it much thought leaving a trail of my stuff everywhere i go (phone, keys, etc). i guess my dz naver gave me a reason to be concerned but yeah, theft can happen anywhere i guess.[:/] recently another dz in my state (skydive temple - do a search) was actually broken into & had a ton of gear stolen... so watch that too.

I jump there and leave my stuff laying around every time I'm there.... We don't worry about the tandems/students, as they are in another area.

I know a guy that lost his very first rig at a DZ in Spain (I think, or maybe it was France) without having put 1 jump on it.... And the insurance company said he left it alone, even though everybody leaves his/her gear in the hangar. No coverage so he was out the money! B| This was during a jump-day, BTW...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

worrying about your stuff being stolen should be the least of your worries while making a jump... if you don't feel safe at your dz for some reason, ask if they have lockers or something :)
edit:
"I jump there and leave my stuff laying around every time I'm there.... We don't worry about the tandems/students, as they are in another area." i was talking about the equipment being stolen.... the thread was here about a month ago. i know that sort of thing can happen anywhere which is why i mentioned it. thread here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1377490;search_string=temple;#1377490 pm'ed
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

In my 30+ years of jumping it is clear that almost everyone is very cavalier with their personal belongings, money, and gear at the DZ. That they feel comfortable doing this is good. Of course, on rare occasions we hear about something disappearing. Personally I attribute those to whuffos, or out-of-towners. My friends certainly know where to look for my money, gear, and car keys. I think that is an unstated standard, partly as a show of trust, and partly in case something bad happens to me at the DZ.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

hmmm...Is this normal policy for insurance-companies? Sounds very weird. The main reason for insurance is theft (from the packing-area, hangar, etc.).
Do you know what the name of the insurance-company was (as I'm planning to insure my own rig within the month).

At a mom and pop local DZ theft shouldn't be a problem. At destination DZ's or boogies with people coming and going wuffo's and jumpers things can be a problem.

I know Z-hills has lockers (bring your own lock to save a $) other people use their car trunks. I've seen people with locks on their tent zippers:(

We've also seen altimeter's frap hats gloves jumpsuits laying around at night and they were still their in the morning.

Only takes one bad apple in the wrong place at the wrong time to get you. Beware.

R.i.P.

I always feel pretty confident leaving my stuff around the hangar. Just don't leave beer, cigarettes, or your girlfriend unguarded.
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry

So far, so good. I always leave my keys, $, wallet in my backpack. The only time I ever lost anything was my cutaway and reserve handles in Moab...B|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

just wondering how safe is out personal property on the d.z. such as wallets,pocketbooks,equipment.etc.

any special" rules of thumb"?

IT HAPPENS.....THEFT THAT IS >:(
I had a $8000.00 Projector Stolen from DZ in Texas while we were there. What really sucks is it was supposed to locked up at night cause I was letting the DZO and his staff use it for training purposes :S
What sucks even more is no one took responsibility for it AND when I informed them I was going to call the police "so at least a search at pawn shops could be done", I was told by the DZO that we would have to leave the dropzone because he didnt want any negative publicity >:( >:(!!
Moral to the story.......be careful who you trust with your shit.....even at a DZ!!!!
All I can say is one word KARMA!!!!!
<>
Tami

There was a time where I never worried... Times have changed***

same here......... sad isnt it - I used to leave my oakleys and wallet just sitting on a shelf, cant do that anymore it seems.... [:/]

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

My guess is thieves were not skydivers...

As for me, I miss my summer gloves. I suppose somebody had taken them bu mistake. They looked the same as a lot of other gloves [:/]

But another day somebody put a small bag with rubber bands, cypres loops and other stuff into my bad. I never knew who it was:D

Ive been at my DZ 3 years, the bar man has been there 15. He can remember someone's wallet being taken from a bag once, and they reconed it was some local whuffos.

We're even next door (ie, 10s walk) to a village/town/industrial estate.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Ive been at my DZ 3 years, the bar man has been there 15. He can remember someone's wallet being taken from a bag once, and they reconed it was some local whuffos.reply]

Yeah it was my wallet and phone>:(

Turned out to be friends of one of the microlight pilots...........

Apart from that its been all good.

Bryn

Journey not destination.....

My guess is thieves were not skydivers...

Who stole the projector what just a small piece of this incident. And actually we DO believe it WAS a skydiver (don’t put skydivers on a pedestal as general population…some are scum of the earth…. as mentioned by Stratostar). The DZO involved in this incident was as big as a SCUMBAG as the person who stole the projector “”based on the way he handled it””! I was pretty distraught by the hole thing cause at this point I was a newbie and did have skydivers on a pedestal.
Nuff Said
<>’
Tami

PS: I have only met a handful of mean and rotten people since I have been in the sport!!:)