Superman32

Chunky tandem

Usually 240 is the max but some DZ's put the limit at 225.

Even then some DZs charge more for the extra weight by the pound. My DZ doesn't, but I know that some do.

Some DZs don't want to take 225-240lbs in the summer unless they've got a bit of wind to help with landing speed (as I've seen at other DZs as well).

Some TI's can't take people that big either due to the tandem gear's weight limit of 500lbs.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What is the absolute heaviest you can be and still do a tandem, SL or AFF?
Just wondering

I have taken tandems a "bit larger" than 250. But they were in excellent shape and capable of taking care of their legs.(one was a marine that was 6'8"...he weighed the most...but I'm 6'2' and only 160 with orangutan arms:P)

I saw a tandem student that 6' 8", 290 pounds...he was one of those full contact fighters...not an ounce of fat on the big bastard!

The TI was 160-180 pounds...so they stayed under that 500 pound limit people...but just barely!

Ummmm, me thinks he was over just a tad. The heaviest I've taken was 271. I was weighed with the gear on, and then he was weighed......and I'm right around 175. Sucks being the smaller TI's.
my pics & stuff!

The largest student I ever took was a 280 pound retired rugby player. The guy had massive, muscular thighs, ergo little risk of him breaking a leg.

On a practical note, our official school policy is to avoid taking students weighing more than 220 pounds, as few people over that weight are physically fit.

How about AFF? I saw a very heavy set man getting ready to do an AFF level 1 and according to his instructors he had a on-belly fall rate of around 270 km/h :o.

He was wearing some special gear/canopy but unfortunately I cannot recall what.

Just sounds pretty unsafe to me to be that fast on your belly as an AFF student. I figure it should be possible to calculate a theoretical terminal velocity based on weight and use that as a 'limiting factor' so to speak, but perhaps that's being overly geeky?

The weight limit is 450 pounds with gear on Relative Workshop equipment.

It depends on many factors. I would turn down someone who did not exceed the weight limit, but otherwise looked unfit.

I'm +- 235, and I've taken the max weight and landed them softly. We fall faster and open harder at that weight. [:/]
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

How about AFF? I saw a very heavy set man getting ready to do an AFF level 1 and according to his instructors he had a on-belly fall rate of around 270 km/h

It depends on the DZ and the gear available. The limiting factor really is the gear. Some DZs will convert their tandem rigs for bigboy AFF.

However, I can't comment on flying as an AFF-I that fast, since obviously I'm not an AFF-I.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Date: January 1, 1999

Relative Workshop has recently changed the weight limit capability of the Vector Tandem System and the Sigma Tandem System when used in conjunction with the following (airworthy) canopies, regardless of their date of manufacture.

PD-360 Reserve Canopy
PD-421 Main Canopy
PD-500 Main Canopy
EZ-384 Main Canopy
EZ-425 Main Canopy
Sigma 340,370 & 395 Main Canopies
The previous weight limit was 450 lbs.

The new approved gross weight limit is 500 lbs. This translates to approximately 50 lbs. of gear weight and 450 lbs. of personnel weight.

Please keep this official weight-change authorization (in your office files and in the aircraft with your FAA-Exemption) for future reference because the canopies you currently jump are placarded for 400-450 lbs. This notice supercedes current placarding.

Authorizing Authority - The Uninsured Relative Workshop, Inc.

"Start doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you're doing the impossible!"

TheTandems weights you already have.

The Relative Workshop used to have a modification that allowed the Vector 2 Tandem Constainer to be converted so it could be used for aff.

I saw a 280 lbs AFF FJC Student do a AFF leval 1 with this conversion:o. I can not say if it was under or above the RWS weight limit.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!