JohnRich

Whatzit? (Aircraft Part ID)

What is it? (Whatzit?)

This aircraft part (image attached) is about the size of a McDonald's Big Mac, costs $7,000 to replace, and when it is not working, prevents an engine in a Twin Otter from starting. And the nearest replacement part is a four-hour drive away. There will be no jumping from this plane today... Whatzit?

That would actually be a max output of 1.21 Jiggawatts ;)

Booster pump?

dude... i'm dissapointed..... flux capacitor needs an INPUT of 1.21 gigawatts..... sheesh!!

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

Well john!!!

That would be an egciter box, that has replaced igniters on most PT6's.

I see what looks like fuel on the deck. Could be turbine oil though. I see 3 either input or output fluid lines. The control arm. I can't tell if that is for input, like controlling pump output, or if it is for output, for controlling, say prop pitch. I see what looks like a filter housing and a spline shaft for driving a pump. I don't see anything electrical about it. I really don't think it is an 'egciter box' or an exciter box either. I'll still go with a fuel control and pump.

Derek

Hey John,

I didn't look at the picture before, that is a fuel control unit and they do run 6 to $7000 for replacement or overhaul. The fastest and most cost effective I have found is a place in Miami and yes Derik is right it is not an "Igciter" box. Him so smart

Pricision Fuel control
1880 NW 97th st
Miami Fl 33172
305-594-9662

Hey John,

I didn't look at the picture before, that is a fuel control unit and they do run 6 to $7000 for replacement or overhaul. The fastest and most cost effective I have found is a place in Miami and yes Derik is right it is not an "Igciter" box. Him so smart

Pricision Fuel control
1880 NW 97th st
Miami Fl 33172
305-594-9662

Oh, so I WAS right. FCU. Cool.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

My guess was going to be the FCU...

I don't know this myself, but the A&P (aircraft mechanic) working on the engine said it is indeed, the fuel control unit. He described it as the "heart" of the engine. It's amazing that something so small, can cost so much. It has safety wire all over it, and the ends of the safety wires have crimped lead seals on them, indicating that it was built in a certified shop, so I'm told.

Hi John! Is this from the plane I think of? If so, it doesn't even take yall a month to break everything apart after I left;)
Say Hi to everybody at the DZ!

Hi Marcus! Yep, it's Skydive Houston's Super Otter. It happened Friday afternoon, but fortunately during startup on the ground, and not in the air.

It's amazing that something so small, can cost so much.

How does its price-volume ratio compare to the other parts of the jet engine? Its price-mass ratio would be interesting, too; some parts of jet engines can be expensive, large, but light.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

My guess was going to be the FCU...

I don't know this myself, but the A&P (aircraft mechanic) working on the engine said it is indeed, the fuel control unit. He described it as the "heart" of the engine. It's amazing that something so small, can cost so much. It has safety wire all over it, and the ends of the safety wires have crimped lead seals on them, indicating that it was built in a certified shop, so I'm told.

Yah, very special piece too. Having a FCU runaway can be a bad thing because the old statement of "dead foot dead engine" doesn't work anymore. You could have a runaway over power engine and think the "good" engine is failing and feather it. Bad deal. Now you have two bad engines and it ain't easy getting a shutdown PT-6 back to flying status quickly in flight.

I've not had one go on me but others say they see fuel flow fluctuations just before it goes away. Always helpful to keep that instrument scan up!
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125