kelel01

What's the worst malfunction?

How so?

I jump a pull out for that reason. There are other types of horseshoe mals, but the loop break, or pin dislodge is the scariest to me. Add to that the dificulty in finding and deploying the P/C on a throwout if dealing with a horseshoe, and you have my reasons.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I saw a guy meet his maker jumping a wing suit, he apparently flipped through the risers on opening, conjecture would say that he was still carrying too much forward speed at deployment. He was so entangled in the lines that he had no options, couldn’t even get to his cutaway handle. Had canopy out but in a hard turn form 4k to impact. I guess that it this one would be an “other”.
I have a very sad feeling typing this! And we defiantly miss him!!!

Any malfunction that your options are non existent would be the worst! Take for instance a canopy collision at low tude!?
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Pilot chute in tow and horseshoe scare me the same.

I had a pilot chute in tow that turned out to be two out with reserve tangled around my legs and left arm!:o But it turned out all good.

And I've had a friend die from a pilot chute in tow type scenario gone wrong..

But horseshoes are pretty fucking scary too.

I wouldn't wish either malfunction on anyone.

Make sure you're careful with moving around in the plane and keep a tight closing loop! And also maintain your pilot chute properly!!

-karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

The worst malfunction would be something happening to that damn plane at about 500' AGL

Or forgetting your rig?

That plane is full of Jet Fuel...anything has to be better than burning...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

How about a premature on your back at 10K. It wraps around your right arm and put you in a monster flat spin. Took to 1K to get it cut away only able to use the left hand. Reserve out at 300. Not planning on trying that again.

Dude! Could you post a picture of yourself or something so i know never to skydive with you:o:P:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Last year at WFFC a guy in our 8-way hit the side of the Casa on exit and had his container open and the bag come out in a classic horseshoe. As we motioned for him to pull, he touched his handles and hackey with a puzzled look. Finally, he pulled to go directly into a baglock. Since it was high speed mal, we fell with him from around 12k to 5k where he cut the baglock away and deployed his reserve. The last view of him I had was seeing massive line twists as I dropped below him.

Horseshoe, baglock and line twists all in one jump! Not his day.

He had video and one of the other guys had video. It was interesting to see the two views. Wish I could remember who it was so we could get it posted.

Gary Peek was the LO so maybe he will remember.

Blue skies,

Jim

hmm,
have never jumped anything but pull out (15 yrs.)
Sure do not see many with it and cannot figure out why?? Especially free flyers.
I luv my pilot chute in the container where it belongs.......and the confidence I am in control pullin my own pin.

I did have a pilot chute mal (the stiching of centre safety line broke at attachment) on newer collapsable pc. The system was cocked but pc in low drag....over collapsed....amazing the bag still extracted from the container when I gave a big punch to side of my rig...no tangle with bridle...and damn if my main inflated out of bag also...wonkers opening with hands ready on handles for ep.
Not a pretty site to watch- then again so great I had postive pull to extract my pin!!
:S:S:S

hmmm, good idea to check over your pc system when cocking, even if it is in new condition.
:P:P:P

SMiles;)
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

Did you go to the safty day at your local DZ?

yes.. they covered more than mals though (ff safety/avoiding collisions). why do you ask?
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

Damn. Anyone have that mentioned 1988 video online anywhere?

Let's not start it again...

BTW, the thread on this is here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=643895#643895

Sorry about that. My interest was purely to see what the ground rushing up closer and closer would look like at lower altitudes. Not to diminish the death with spectatorism. Just something to scare me into altitude awareness!

I'm starting PFF training this April 30th.