Nickkk

What jump # did you first land standing up?

If you're having trouble standing up your landings, don't be discouraged by other people talking about how easy it is.

There's a WIDE range of gear in use at dropzones around the country. Some of this gear is close to 20 years old.

People jumping newer student gear will have a much easier time standing up their landings than people on older gear.

Myself, I had close to 10 jumps before my instructors even told me I was allowed to stand up my ladnings. They had taught me to PLF every landing. As you might guess, the student gear was quite old...

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

My first 2 tandems were stood up, but i mean on your own...

On my AFF 1 i began to flare when i got a "not yet not yet... now" on the radio. After doing a not so perfect PLF my instructor told me that when i began to flare on my own i did so at the right time but he had expected me to panic and flare too fast like many stundents do... and aplogized... :(

Oh well always another jump to try and stand it up! :)

What do you do when someone throws a big planet at you?
Throw your pilot chute in defense!

Don't blush-I think that around #15 I landed, took about 4 steps, stopped and then went down to one knee just because I was confused about what was going on. It was a while before I stood up another one.
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

I stood up a couple of my AFF jumps (I think half were PLF'ed, a quarter were fall-over-on-my-arse and the last quarter were stood up). By the time I got to the end of my consolidation jumps (10 jumps later) I was standing up fairly consistently - I think the key was learning to flare smoothly and to watch how the canopy was behaving right the way until touch down.

"People jumping newer student gear will have a much easier time standing up their landings than people on older gear. "

I hate to disagree.....but even with my limited numbers/experiance...I know that is not true(unless your talking rounds etc.)....My 1st jump was on a Goliath (320..330??)....quite a old canopy but was able to flare at the proper time with instructor help via radio and had a perfect stand up landing.

Old Manta 288's make up the majority of student canopies at my small home DZ now.....and many(dare I say most) 1st jump students have stand up landings.

Proper training and landing guidance have a far bigger impact on student landings then the age of gear being used.(remember..I am not talking shit gear...just old)

Disclaimer...I am a newb...zip for experiance....plz do not take anything I say seriously;)

No, Andy is quite right. The ease of standing up varies considerably with regards to the gear (and age) used, the typical wind levels, and the method given.

Using the one step flare on a PD300 into 10+ winds, I would swing forward, touch down softly, and then fall backwards on my butt on quite a few landings. That same method didn't work so well on a Falcon 265, or a Spectre 230.

I hate these kind of threads because they send the wrong message anyway. The self sampling skews the results to those who stood early on, making anyone who is struggling wonder what their problem is. The goal is to safely land, not to stand it up. Many injuries come from resisting the PLF option.

ditto.
#1 being a tandem or solo..

*edit - just because you can stand up a landing means you are good jumper. two completely different things. I know some people that were scared to land standing or even don't land standing up due to injuries. I'm sure others can relate

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

While I still wont agree on the age thing......I will very much agree on the fact that many factors influance the odds of students standing up landings.

I was trained to land a old skybarge F111 canopy..did what I was told and have 39 stand up landings out of a pathetic 40 jumps....does this mean I know anything??...hell NO..........just doing what I was taught to do.

I have a brand spanking new (slippery as snot) canopy sitting here..havent jumped it yet(container and reserve should be here next week).......... can I flare it the same as the manta's?.....hell NO....guess what........I have to be trained how to land it...and I am also going back on radio for instructor guidance on landing.(I do intend on standing up the landing,but will plf if in doubt.)

You are also correct on the personal experiance thingy......just because one person has good luck with landings(or anything for that matter) does not mean that all or anyone else will have the same good fortune......

Personally ...I have been good on landing older canopies.....a newer ZP may be the death of me ;)

Btw....I suck in freefall :$

Disclaimer....I am a newb..I know squat...above text is my oppion only and is not to be taken seriously!!!

Dude, I have 18 jumps and I just stood up my first one on Sunday!!! Woo-hoo!!! :)
Don't worry about it if you are not standing them up yet. It will come, you will just feel it. I tried standing them up when I was at 7 or 8 jumps and I ended up twisting my ankle pretty good. Just PLF or slide till you feel it. For me it was really hard to judge the height at first, now I just know when to flare. But I know people who are not students anymore and still land on their butt. Don't sweat it! B|
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Started out in AFF with flare call over radio. By jump 4 had the radio, but flared on my own. Got use to the how and when to flare for a nice stand up. Now I'm jumping my own rig and my last 4 landings have been ugly. Nothing broken, just ugly. It just takes lots of practice and time to get the feel for it. Took the canopy class with Brian Germain. Most important, fly the canopy until it doesn't want to fly anymore.

Monkeyboy
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

#1 tandem
#1 solo too....
actually I have around 10 which are not stand up as in sliding on my butt or PLF, and another maybe 15 on which a knee or some other part touched the ground after a foot slide
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM