peacefuljeffrey

Setting aside any fears of a "jinx," who here has never landed off?

I'm curious about this.

I have 175 jumps, and have never landed off. By "landing off" I am thinking of "totally outside the intended landing area/airport/DZ/LZ." I am not including landing in a different field on the airport from what you intended, or landing outside a "beer line." I'm talking about outside the airport, where you had to hike it back, or maybe they sent the DZ's van or golf cart to get you.

Also, I realize that some jumps are not set up to even really have a designated landing area, like, say, a beach jump, or somewhere out in the desert like when they drop a car from the plane into no-man's-land.

I don't mean to be smug about this, at all. I know that every jump brings with it the possibility that I land off. I know I am not charmed against it in any way. And with (only) 175 jumps, it's not like I've been through everything that can happen.

I did once make a poor decision to struggle to make it back to the field at Pahokee, and I came in with my feet about level with the crowns of two of the palm trees that line the fence at the east edge of the airport. I had been watching my "outs" the whole way back, fighthing the wind, and only just made it back over the fence... I did a big "whew" and pretty much learned never to let my ego about landing in make my decisions again -- if it's safest to land out as opposed to striving to land in, that's what I'll do.

So, anyone else never ever land out? How about filling in a poll answer and posting? Please also post your jump total so we know if it's a "never, but only 7 jumps," as opposed to a "3, but I have 6500 jumps!" :P

Blue skies,
-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Not yet.

I once cleared the barbed wire fence that surrounds the airport at Sebastian by about 2 or 3 feet after deciding to "go for it" on a windy day and a short spot. That was REALLY stupid, and I got very lucky.

I also landed downwind once coming back from a long spot. By the time I made it back to the airport, I felt that I was too low to turn back into the wind. After a fun, sliding landing, I was unharmed, but again I should have found an alternate landing area.

Not yet.

I once cleared the barbed wire fence that surrounds the airport at Sebastian by about 2 or 3 feet after deciding to "go for it" on a windy day and a short spot. That was REALLY stupid, and I got very lucky.

I also landed downwind once coming back from a long spot. By the time I made it back to the airport, I felt that I was too low to turn back into the wind. After a fun, sliding landing, I was unharmed, but again I should have found an alternate landing area.

Glad you made it safely! I know the feeling (though I haven't been forced into a downwinder...) of squeakin' it in. Hopefully each time it happens we get better at being able to identify it before we're caught in a tight spot.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

i did once it was my third jump - AFF level 3 and the winds picked up quite bad up high when we were up there, so when i pulled at 5500 ft i had loads of time to get blown backwards over 2 (i think!) villages. this wasnt help by my really light wing loading about 0.6

it was my first un-assisted flare and it was a really soft landing, but a bit scary because of the fence, the bushes and the electric pylons surrounding the field but it was all good

i had a nice walk back for about 10 mins before the DZ found me and took me back

i now have 29 jumps and have not yet landed off again
-------------------------------------------------------

if you wanna see the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain

Jump 13-I had it videoed because I wasn't sure that I was going to keep jumping. I set down in a tiny open area just off the airport (thank goodness for big, slow canopies) thinking-I hope he doesn't put this on the tape. He didn't, video guy broke his ankle on landing and was a bit preoccupied to tape mine. Everybody's all healthy again now.
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

My AFF level 1, all went well during freefall, I did all my moves like in the book. Then I pulled, checked, all ok. The navigation was done by radio, I couldn't understand nothing (language was part of the problem..., am french and it was Brasil), could not see the DZ. I finally heard on the radio "Find a free area to land", and that was it. I only did a tandem before so no need to say I got scared the s... out of me. I arrived on the top of a little town, and align my course with a big street (nearly no traffic). I flared to high, did not do a PLF and landed from quiet high on the asphalt. Did not break anything but my legs and back hurted for a while. To top it all, my canopy got caught in a cable, I was trying to get everyone to not touch anything. They told me later it was a phone line. The best part was when a police car pitched up, they asked me where I was from and I told them I was from France, they then looked at the sky and looked very puzzled. I drunk a lot of beer that night !
I did another one out at my 25th jump, bad spotting, I was not the only one to land off. But this time I had it all planned from high and landed peacefully in the middle of a big field. Since then I feel a lot better. I learned my lessons, plan it high !!
-
Come to the edge. We can't, we're afraid. Come to the edge. We can't, we'll fall. Come to the edge. And they came. And he pushed them. And they flew.

Landing off is not very unusual thing in case of jumping through the clouds locating the drop spot only by GPRS. GPRS may fault. There are also incidents with the newbie pilots who forget to order to get out of plane, incidents with jammed doors and with missed spot in result and so on...

So I have landed off a number of times, but only couple times it was my mistakes (underestimated wing or so...)

Landing off is not very unusual thing in case of jumping through the clouds locating the drop spot only by GPRS. GPRS may fault. There are also incidents with the newbie pilots who forgot to order of plane, incidents with jammed doors and with missed spot in result and so on...

So I have landed off a number of times, but only couple times it was my mistakes (underestimated wing or so...)

Yep you have it right, espetially about the cloudsB| (at 500m It's very interesting what you will see after you will get out from the cloud: forest or field or may be even home LZB|)
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

There was once that I was jumping Sebastian and should have landed at the golf course, but I was intimidated by the prospect of an off landing. I squeezed in over the trees and the fence to land safely, but very shaken because I was just certain I was going to end up in the trees.

Then I jumped Zhills and got a lot more comfortable with the idea of landing somewhere other than the main area. Of course, that was because I didn't always make it back to the "main" area.

So, now, I'm always watching for possible outs and very comfortable with the prospect of landing elsewhere. If I'm at 1000ft or so and feeling like making it back isn't possible, I'm gonna start setting up somewhere else. Besides, I like walking. And lugging my main. It's a hell of a lot better than hitting turbulence off a tree or, worse...hitting that obstacle. :)
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

I've been off three times, but only one was intentional because I couldn't make it back. That time was a night jump and I got too far downwind to be able to make it to the other side of the canal (Davis).
The other two times were chasing parts from cutaways.

Personally, I feel that landing out has made me a better (safer) skydiver. I'd know that if it comes down to it , I'll land out in a safer spot rather than becoming fixated on the DZ at all costs
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

I almost landed off once - our very own Shark was my coach. Managed to land just to our side of the motocross park at Elsinore.

I remember is vividly. I was coming down through about 7k and I looked straight down at the I-15. I chuckled thinking, "If I have a total, there are gonna be some surprised dirvers out there." I think I actually smiled at that thought until I realized, "Shit. I'm way to the East of where I should be!"

So I waved off and pulled. I was under canopy by 6k. I never asked Mark whether he knew why I pulled a couple K short of where I intended to pull. Mark - I wanted to have altitude to get back!

I did a truncated controllability check (I didn't want to do 360's so I could make sure I had altitude) and directed myself towards the student landing area, knees up and on rear risers.

Shark and I both made it back to the student landing area. The group that went after us landed off, though, and had a bit of a hike. I gotta admit, that jump with Shark was one of my favorites ever. Heading straight down at an interstate freeway. I still laugh a that...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

At Sky Knights we occasionally do a "reverse cross country" jump. The idea is that on a breezy day we get out of the plane straight up and deploy the canopy right away. Leave the brakes stowed and let the wind blow you where it will. You pick out a landing area when you get there. Tuesday evening I landed in a school yard in the next city over, about 8 miles away.

Landing off is no biggie.

-Jeff.
http://www.iplummet.com

Common sense and common courtesy are NOT common.

With 65 jumps to my name here are my landing OUTS to date:

AFF Jump #3 pasture south of DZ

AFF Jump#7 pasture with a few not so happy steers!

Jump #29 Eloy, AZ..8-10miles north of DZ...landed safe but in the desert. I knew immediately I had NO idea where I was so I just found a safe spot and landed like I knew to do.

since jumping at Perris and CAl City..I seem to always be able to make it back; even with long spots.
IF you are going to be Stupid - you better be tough!

Personally, I feel that landing out has made me a better (safer) skydiver. I'd know that if it comes down to it , I'll land out in a safer spot rather than becoming fixated on the DZ at all costs

That's a great point.
It's kinda like having had my one cutaway... Until that point, you just can't really know that you'll properly address your mal at the time, and cut it away before you futz with it for too long.

I was very glad when I forced myself to be altitude-aware under a spinning line-twist and got rid of it for my reserve. Kind of settles a big question that looms until you do it for the first time.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

At Sky Knights we occasionally do a "reverse cross country" jump. The idea is that on a breezy day we get out of the plane straight up and deploy the canopy right away. Leave the brakes stowed and let the wind blow you where it will. You pick out a landing area when you get there. Tuesday evening I landed in a school yard in the next city over, about 8 miles away.

Landing off is no biggie.

That's a wicked interesting idea, but it raises questions.

Isn't it kind of inviting risk? If you know the surrounding areas well enough, I guess it's safer, but I wonder, if you get sent somewhere that you don't really know, how do you know you will have a safe place to land?

Over here at Sebastian, we have, erm, the Atlantic Ocean on one side, and a river and lots of marshy land to the other... Not the most hospitable place to do what you were saying... [:/]

But I trust that you guys use good judgment when you do that. Sounds like fun, wish I could join you for it sometime.

Blue skies,
-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Word of advice...............on a day with a 2000' ceiling if someone asks "Do ya'll trust GPS?" say no. You get an odd feeling when you blow through the clouds and your right over a large river!

That's a wicked interesting idea, but it raises questions.

Isn't it kind of inviting risk? If you know the surrounding areas well enough, I guess it's safer, but I wonder, if you get sent somewhere that you don't really know, how do you know you will have a safe place to land?

Over here at Sebastian, we have, erm, the Atlantic Ocean on one side, and a river and lots of marshy land to the other... Not the most hospitable place to do what you were saying... [:/]

But I trust that you guys use good judgment when you do that. Sounds like fun, wish I could join you for it sometime.

Blue skies,
-Jeffrey

Here in this part of Wisconsin there are tons of places to land. We have varied terrain and plenty of fields. I chose to land in the school yard because I could see a soccer field painted. I figured it would be fairly level. Sure there are minor risks, but like any aspect of jumping, you mitigate what you can and accept the rest.

C'mon up. I'll show you what I mean.

-Jeff.
http://www.iplummet.com

Common sense and common courtesy are NOT common.

i have 220 jumps and haven't landed off yet. I've been on 1 load where i've been the only one to land on the dz, and another couple where my group are the only ones from the plane that have landed on the dz.

just been lucky with fairly good spots, and on a couple of occasions realised the spot is a bit crap so opened a bit higher to make it back. still, i'm sure there'll be a first!

You mean aside from Rantoul? :P I landed off there too often. Aside from that, I've only landed in a freshly plowed cane field once.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I have about 500 round jumps. I've landed off a LOT of times.

No biggie. Just pick a place, and land there. It doesn't have to be pretty.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

:D I still need to get on one of those jumps with you guys.

And to answer your question, PJ, I've landed off quite a few times. No biggie. As soon as I'm under canopy (start deployment between 2-3K), I'm evaluating if I'm going to make the main landing area or not. I'm not afraid to land out - and have landed out at many dropzones over and above Rantoul. :D

I'd much rather walk a mile or so than get an ambulance/helicopter ride.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

23 jumps so far and landed off 6 times...

I got the award at our x-mas party for having the most off field landings. Personally I love them. Always a challenge and don't know what your in for.

Due to winds (very low wingloading on canopy) and line twists ...Have to pay more attention to what I am doing after I pull. I induce my own line twists...
Punky Monkey
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them how to fly in formation