schwede

VIGIL in the U.S

Please open your eyes and think about things...don't just take the word of anyone when it comes to your life.

I knew nothing about jumping before I started, I knew no one in the sport to ask what was right and what was wrong. I had to trust my instructors teaching, I did search for a dropzone with a good reputation though, from then on I had to place you trust in what people tell me.

So about this Lego ADD, how does it work? sounds intersting a cheap.

I was curious about the newly packed Vigil firing at the loft, right after cutter replacement, so I called Vigil in Belgium. They have inspected the suspect unit, and have found the cause. It seems that when the rigger closed the case after replacing the cutter, he inadvertently trapped a battery wire between the two havles of the case, crushing the insulation on that wire. The first time the rig was handled, the resultant short circuit fired the cutter.

Bill, it seems to me that if something like that can happen so easily and go un-noticed by the rigger, any individuals at Vigil USA that looked over the unit and then only get caught by the manufacturer, that maybe there is something that needs to be looked into. Maybe making an external plug like the Cypres so that the unit doesn't need to be opened in the field (I don't remember the exact layout of the case). Because you know as well, or better, than I that if one rigger can do it, there's at least a dozen more that are waiting for their chance;)

Any info on the apparent mis-fire at about 3000 feet in DeLand recently?

Any info on the apparent mis-fire at about 3000 feet in DeLand recently?

I have head this same rumor...

Can anyone substantiate it?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

900'- 1000' snivels are not uncommon nowadays under some canopies.

I beg to differ Chile. Although there are SOME canopies that CAN snivel for this long, considering 900'-1000' snivels as "not uncommon" would be a gross misperception.

By and large, and in reality, 1,000' snivels have instead been proven to be noting more than urban legend. And claimed snivels of longer than that? ...Sorry, but those, IMHO are rather, MALFUNCTIONS!
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I talked to the girl myself, the girl and her boyfriend were jumping together, she deployed at 3000ft (as recorded by her pro-trac) Her boyfriend then opened and by the time he saw her again she was under 2 canopies. She told me it happened as the main was opening, she cut away her main and landed her reserve. Upon inspection on the ground the loop was cut. Sorry for taking my time reporting it, I wanted to get all the information I could before I posted it. Either way she is very lucky to be alive today.

Edited to add: It was this monday.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Quite simply, this product will never be purchased by me. ONE misfire is too many.

Better sell your Cypres.

Yeah, really. Pccoder, a quick search of this site or Google will turn up numerous Cypres misfires.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I am sure they have all had misfires, Cypres as well. Perhaps my comments sounded too harsh. 4 out of 20 is unbelievable. Those numbers are worth not having the AAD at all. And, if Cypres misfires occur that often (which I am certain they don't) than I should be considering whether or not I stay in this sport.

PcCoder.net

I am sure they have all had misfires, Cypres as well. Perhaps my comments sounded too harsh. 4 out of 20 is unbelievable. Those numbers are worth not having the AAD at all. And, if Cypres misfires occur that often (which I am certain they don't) than I should be considering whether or not I stay in this sport.

Just curious, where'd you get the 4/20 number? I thought someone said there were over 100 in the states and I'm sure a decent amount more worldwide. Plus, wouldn't you base the probability of misfire on # of jumps and not simply units?

Never go to a DZ strip show.

OK, everyone slam me some more. [:/]

I speak out of ignorance. Please forgive me.

hey, i'm not slamming you, i'm really just curious. i'd like to know as much as possible about this as i will hopefully be making some sort of gear purchase myself this year and would like to have an accurate idea of the relative safety of these devices... I'd be interested to know if anyone has any information about early results in the cypres series... did they have any "bugs" early on?

I honestly don't know about the early Cypres. I just haven't heard from anyone I have jumped with about their AAD misfiring before. I guess it's happened, but that kind of thing is scary. We have enough to deal with doing this sport, the last thing I want to worry about is my gear creating these kind of problems also. :)

PcCoder.net

I honestly don't know about the early Cypres. I just haven't heard from anyone I have jumped with about their AAD misfiring before. I guess it's happened, but that kind of thing is scary. We have enough to deal with doing this sport, the last thing I want to worry about is my gear creating these kind of problems also. :)

I've only been in the sport a little while and know of at least one person who had a cypres misfire. It was his fault because he turned the thing on in the plane at 5k but supposedly the cypres is capable of recognizing the ascent and not arming. But I'm not a cypres expert by any means.

>supposedly the cypres is capable of recognizing the ascent and not arming. But I'm not a cypres expert by any means.

The Cypres will read the pressure on power up as the ground level. Who ever told you it can reconize accent is wrong.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Plus, wouldn't you base the probability of misfire on # of jumps and not simply units?

Interesting question. Part of me thinks that it's the number of defective units that are important, on the other hand, maybe we should consider number of jumps going on the theory that units become defective over time, or maybe it's time in the field that counts, but not number of jumps. It's probably not practical to use the Vigil as an example, but I wonder what the various numbers would be for the Cypres. I think we'll probably never really know - the folks at Airtec seem pretty secretive about this kind of stuff.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

The Cypres will read the pressure on power up as the ground level. Who ever told you it can reconize accent is wrong.

I think what is being referred to is that the Cypres manual implies that the unit will not complete the self check if the air pressure is not stable.

I don't know how long it checks for a stable pressure, but if the plane is not climbing much at the time, it seems plausible.

What seems so totally unbelievable is that someone would turn it on in the plane on the way to altitude. :|
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

World Team Thailand had a misfire at 30 meters:

Sunday 02-01
Side note - a few days ago, a camera flyer was landing by the radar antenna in the center of the field, and had his cypres fire just as he was flaring. Apparently it was an old one without the EMI shielding, but people have been avoiding it ever since anyway. It's probably a good thing, since getting a canopy edge caught on the spinning reflector would definitely not be a good thing.

ciel bleu,
Saskia