brycew

LASIK and sky diving?

Sure. Have PRK or LASEK instead. Like I did.

And based on what medical/optometric degree do you base this advice? When did you personally examine the person asking for information?

PLEASE watch it with giving advice like this. It is the eye equivalent of telling a jumper exactly what canopy to get or give detailed information for a newbie to learn to swoop.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

This is a pet peeve of mine. If you are practically blind, then no glasses, contacts, or surgery will get you seeing 20/20 again. (this is actually my subspeciality, working with those people). It doesn't matter what you see without correction, as long as with glasses/contacts/refractive surgery, you see 20/20 :)

Well yes and no. I lost NUMEROUS contacts over the years of skydiving. With eyesight that was 20/550 - trying to land sub-100 square feet canopies was quite challenging half-blind... Trust me - that was EXTREMELY scary at times. I just consider myself lucky that I never lost both contacts on one jump or I easily could have killed myself. Or even just getting dust in one in the airplane and being in complete pain.

Add in that I couldn't sleep in my contacts, and that I couldn't even read the alarm clock beside my bed without them. Numerous times I'd stumble to the bathroom in the middle of the night and step on a cat thinking it was a t-shirt.

So while yes my contacts corrected my vision they only worked well in the best of circumstances. I cursed them (and I hated glasses worse) at least once a day. My night vision has improved noticably as well since the Lasik - probably because I don't have the glare of the contact lens anymore.

W

Also

http://www.surgicaleyes.org/

This is required reading for my pre op patients. Although the odds are very against the disaster stories since I'm very picky about what surgeons I use, it's important to be aware that there are risks.

One should read that site, but bear in mind that they are a distant minority of patients. Pick your surgeon with some care, not just find the ad in the paper.

But we need to get a little more grounded on the risk level here. The risk of eye surgery is that you may end up with worse vision that you started. If your work involves precise vision (like a surgeon), maybe not a good idea.

But compare the risk to that of skydiving with contacts. I saw someone break a bone in her foot after losing a contact in flight and not knowing where she was going - ended up landing in a canal, hard.

And compare the risk to that of skydiving in general. The risk of dying in a year might be as high as 1 in 1000, yet bad lasik results might be 1 in 10000, or much less depending on your profile. You can live in fear of an asteroid destroying the earth - it could happen. Until you find some measure of risk, it's hard to make decisions.

I did it 5 years ago and have since enjoyed all my outdoor sports without the burden of eyewear, or fuzzy vision (I was about -2.5, I think). I've had my goggles go off in freefall (towards end of night dive), I continue to motorcycle with the visor up some times at speeds approaching 80.

This is a pet peeve of mine. If you are practically blind, then no glasses, contacts, or surgery will get you seeing 20/20 again. (this is actually my subspeciality, working with those people). It doesn't matter what you see without correction, as long as with glasses/contacts/refractive surgery, you see 20/20 :)

i beg to differ. you make a skydive with contacts (L: 3.0, R: 4.0) with 100+ other people and have one or both blow out on a steep dive down to a formation. it DOES matter what i see without correction. going from fully corrected vision to 20/400, 20/500 when they blow out is INDEED a difference. being able to see 100+ people to not seeing a SINGLE person during the same skydive is BAD.

i had lasik 3 weeks ago for this reason and will be jumping again this weekend. i would highly recommend people look into having the procedure done if contacts are a pain in the butt. i'm now L: 20/15 R: 20/20 no correction needed.

telling people they shouldn't say "i think you should have lasik" seems kinda picky. have you never said to anyone "oh you HAVE to try skydiving! it'll change your life!"? it's an opinion...an enthusiastic one.

of course, if everyone had lasik, then optometrists wouldn't be selling so many contacts or glasses. :P

blues,
arlo

After your eye has healed there is very little risk of this.

I have made several jumps with nothing for eye protection, and a few with just sunglasses...I had to hold them on, I did't even have a strap.

No problems.

Ron~

I think I'm probably the guy that some what started this thread as an off shoot to mine about an eye injury I received last week.

I had RK about 15 years ago in San Diego, I did all the research...and found a Doc that specialized in "Professionals" like other Doctors and Navy Pilots...(wasn't a 'diamond' blade but a 'ruby' blade as he felt it left even smaller scars)

I had all the same complaints listed in this thread...problems with glasses and contacts etc.

I had 'perfect' vision for about 10 years, and then as age creeps up...I'm needing 'reading' glasses for small print and the like...this was expected and the Doc told me it would happen.

I too have never had a problem in freefall PRIOR to last week. Hell...it's been 15 YEARS! What could go wrong NOW?!

180-200mph of wind is what...It actually stressed the lens to the point it tore at the weakest point...that being one of the radial scars on the bottom of my eye.

The comment about;

"After your eye has healed there is very little risk of this."

Is questionable in that I'm here to tell ya....IT CAN happen!:)

And hurts like a M-Fer when it does!!:(

As I said in the other thread...I knew the SECOND it happened...and my vision has been bad since that moment.

Medical attention assures me things are healing and 'should' go back to what was normal for me...

But I gotta tell ya...these past few days have REALLY made be re-think my choice of eyewear...

I don't like full face helmets...but I'm considering one.
At the VERY least...I'll NEVER jump with just sunglasses again.

"No Problems".....YET!;)

And I hope it NEVER does happens to you!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

RK has had some odd events- blindness on Everest climbers. But I think there's a reason it's rarely (ever) done anymore.

I was told I'd probably have 10 years or so before reading glasses enter the equation. No problem - I rarely get tackled while reading.

But I think there's a reason it's rarely (ever) done anymore.

It was more common back when I had it done...

lasik was still on the drawing board!

Bit of Trivia...Who and How was RK 'discovered'?

Any issues with having LASIK and sky diving?

Looking around the web, US$1800 seems to be an "average" per-eye price for LASIK. That's like
90 jump tickets, or around half a new rig! Get some $20 reading glasses * and jump the rest. :)

I've worn glasses for about 25 years now. I have occasionally thought about contacts, but I don't
like the ideas of 1) sticking something in my eye and 2) always having to have a bottle of goop to
wash them in so they don't get infected and/or weld themselves to my eyeball. But if I had to
choose between contacts and somebody carving on my eyeball, I'd take the contacts in a heartbeat.
The main problem I have with the eyeball-carving is this: I plan on living for another 50 to 70 years
or so. If you could show me some 70 to 90 year old people who got their eyeballs carved when they
were 20 and are doing fine now, then I'd believe that it really does work as advertised. Since they
weren't doing eyeball-carving (as far as I know) in 1935-1955, I remain unconvinced.

After reading this thread, I have been thinking about how I would land if my glasses broke or fell
off. I don't think I'd have a problem seeing the landing area or setting up the pattern... probably
trying to judge the flare right would be the worst thing. If I had a choice I might try to land near
something that's visible from the air but not a big hazard, like an orange cone, a small puddle, a
bare spot in the grass, or even the edge between mown and unmown grass, just to provide some
reference besides a sea of grass.

Eule (an owl with eyeglasses?)

* I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice.
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

This guy says it's OK but he looks like a jackass so, be careful!!!:P

dude did you at least get a discount or paid for the advertisement?:)
I would love to get my eyes fixed. but its expensive and my eyes aren't THAT bad
My photos

My Videos

I was willing to do it for free but they paid me after the fact.

I thought it was expensive until the day after I did it. And my visiion wasn't even horrendous ie could function without glasses.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Do you need a degree to give an advice?

I have given some links, one of the is the page of the medical center I got my treatment.

Having a LASIK and an accident you may loose your sight.
You don't have that risk with PRK or LASEK. Some doctors and medical centers are pushing LASIK. Know you options and choose wisely. A painful week is not a big price if you compare the danger of the other procedure.

So I've been there, done that and I still know the risks I was briefed about.

PLEASE watch it with giving advice like this. It is the eye equivalent of telling a jumper exactly what canopy to get or give detailed information for a newbie to learn to swoop.

Watch your advice too. Skydiving is not equivalent with driving, eye and/or brain surgery.

I would love to get my eyes fixed. but its expensive and my eyes aren't THAT bad

I had REALLY good insurance when I had mine done...

It was considered TWO seperate operations, so I had to make the 5.00 co-pay twice!B|

Do you need a degree to give an advice?

I have given some links, one of the is the page of the medical center I got my treatment.

Having a LASIK and an accident you may loose your sight.
You don't have that risk with PRK or LASEK. Some doctors and medical centers are pushing LASIK. Know you options and choose wisely. A painful week is not a big price if you compare the danger of the other procedure.

So I've been there, done that and I still know the risks I was briefed about.

Watch your advice too. Skydiving is not equivalent with driving, eye and/or brain surgery.

I was reading everything about that a year ago. I got my PRK done in the most recommended place by their patient. I have not regret it.

You so FUNNY!:ph34r:

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

I had LASIK surgery /- 8 years ago, went to work the next day and jumped within two weeks - no problems at all. I took the normal precautions during the initial healing period, and always made sure my goggles fitted tightly.

The benefits were immediate and lasting - perfect vision day or night, near or far - what a joy after wearing prescription glasses for 20 years!

Best money I ever spent

Yea I have been thinking about it but there's this BULLSHIT factor in the military . I have to get it approved

The Military DID mine.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I had Lasik 5 yrs ago. My prescription was -12.75 with a 1.5 astigmatism ie:blind. Great procedure.

I like that adB|

Gotcha beat, Katee -- I was -13.75 OS, -13.25 OD with -1.50 astigmatism. Had my surgeries in March of 2000. I am currently 20/40 OS, 20/15OD (monocular vision setup), for a combined 20/20. I have less starring then I did with glasses or contacts.

My decision was not an easy one and was reached after much research, interviews with (and OF) doctors and required multiple followup visits. I have written in detail on this before, both here and on the wreck, so I'll not go into it now and just wrap up by stating that it was the best damn $2500 I've ever spent.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?