brycew

LASIK and sky diving?

The thread on the RK eye injury got me thinking....

Any issues with having LASIK and sky diving?

I'm looking to have LASIK done in the next few weeks. I asked the Dr. about it, he didn't seem to think there would be any issues, just said avoid any impact trauma to the eye.

Has anyone heard any different... risks with jumping, or recommended wait period after surgery before jumping?

From the reasearch I did when i was thinking about it, it could be bad if your goggles fall off in freefall.. this has happened to me twice now, .. I decided not to do it... I'm hoping they keep coming out with newer and better technologies :|

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Even though my -5.50 correction is a pain in the ass sometimes, contacts are a little inconvenience that I can live with. Any unnecessary risk to my eyes is just not worth it. But that's how I feel about most elective surgeries, even when they only involve mundane organs like skin.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I had Eye Lasik on March 24 2005 and was jumping a month later, with the ok of the eye doctor.( she actaully oked me sooner....she said about after a week they are gona be healed as good as they'll get. I now wear sunglasses, and yes they came off a few times (now have one of those strap thingies) and zero issues.

My personal experience has been terrific....no more lost contacts, no 'sqwashing" ( you know what I mean) of my brain trying to work on my camera helmet. Those thinking of it......just get it done..pricy but worth it!!

Mike
Just Go with it

Do a search, there are already a lot of posts on this. I'm an eye doc and posted quite a bit here on the topic, just don't feel like re-typing everything. I'm lazy.:S

Personally, I won't do it. There are risks to any surgical procedure. I don't think that the benefits make the risk worth it for me. That does not mean no one should do it, I work with pre and post op lasik patients quite a bit, and for those that are good candidates, it's an appropriate option.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

From the reasearch I did when i was thinking about it, it could be bad if your goggles fall off in freefall.. this has happened to me twice now, .. I decided not to do it... I'm hoping they keep coming out with newer and better technologies

After your eye has healed there is very little risk of this.

I have made several jumps with nothing for eye protection, and a few with just sunglasses...I had to hold them on, I did't even have a strap.

No problems.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

i had ASA (lasik minus the 'flap' cutting portion) and was jumping 2 days later...

it takes longer to recover (as your vision returns gradually as the result of displacing the epithelium) but removes the entire cutting portion of standard lasik and retains the structural intergrety of the cornea

best money i've ever spent on anything...

i had ASA (lasik minus the 'flap' cutting portion) and was jumping 2 days later...

it takes longer to recover (as your vision returns gradually as the result of displacing the epithelium) but removes the entire cutting portion of standard lasik and retains the structural intergrety of the cornea

best money i've ever spent on anything...

Now this is something that I need to look into.. thanks :ph34r:

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

There is no 'flap' as done with lasik, but the epithelium (top surface) of the cornea is still removed from the underlying layer, the middle layer reshaped, and the epithelium replaced. Yes, less invasive than LASIK, but definitely still involves separation of corneal layers.

You should definitely stay away form lasik. Going to unpressurized high altitudes can mess up your vision and like others have said, it's not good to expose that flap to 120+ mph winds. PRK on the other hand is perfectly fine, that is what they give people with bad vision who want to be fighter pilots. Takes longer to heal but worth it. I'd go PRK, time tested and proven.

The surgeon who did mine is also a longtime skydiver (Dr Joel). He recommended that I stay on the ground for 2 weeks, I waited a month just in case. He also said to use a full face shield helmet (shit, I can't remember for how long). He said a new jumper used goggles on his come back jump, they popped up and the rim sat on his eyeballs, he didn't move them, just let them sit on his newly lasered eyeballs (new jumper - maybe he didn't realize he could), and he had to have work done to fix his eyes again.

Your first jump back will be outstanding, very clear at least. I see better now than I did with contacts. No more contacts blowing out or sand in the eye on the DZ. It's the some of the best money I've ever spent.

The surgery was pretty easy and short, eyes a little scratchy for a few days. It's pretty important to not let anything rub or touch your eyes for a couple weeks, that and the eye drops you have to put in every few hours were the only real hassles. But, it was worth every hassle and penny a million times over.

Congrats ahead of time!

I just had Lasik done with the VSX laser about 5 weeks ago. I was told it was no problem to jump but to be careful not to expose my eyeballs to the wind for a few weeks. I have been jumping and have had no issues. I also ride a motorcycle and the same rules apply. They will also warn you about getting dust in your eyes. I was told not to mow the lawn for about 3 weeks. According to my DR. it takes about 3 months to achieve a full recovery ie. vision stabilization. Only side effect I've noticed is dry eyes for the first few days and then tapering off to where I have no issues with it now. Occasional blurred vision from time to time but it getting less frequent, and halos around lights at night. The halos don't affect my ability to drive at night, it's more of an annoyance than anything else. I'm hoping they disappear in time, but I doubt the halos will ever go away completely.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the results.

To all of you who are saying 'get this surg' or 'not that surg', please be careful. That is giving medical advice and can be flat out dangerous. Even with my degrees I do not give specific information for individuals. There is no one procedure for everyone, that is why there are so many different kinds of refractive surgeries available. Not everyone is/isn't a candidate for surgery, that is between them and their eye docs. Consider some of you guys reprimanded :P

LASIK: Uses a very fine razor blade to slice horizontally across the cornea, then the underlying tissue is molded with a laser, flap is put back where it was. Advantages: It has been around a while now, so surgeons are well practiced at the procedure. Results very good. Disadvantages: If anything gets under that flap, you can have serious problems. You can get epithelial ingrowth where the flap does not heal properly. Any trauma that flips the flap back is bad. Glare at night, dry eye are very common side effects, etc. Double vision in one eye, scarring, and infection are other possible side effects.

Intralase: See above, except uses a laser instead of a razor blade (microkeratome) for the flap creation. More reproducable outcomes, but risks the same.

PRK: The surface (epithelium) of the cornea is removed, basically a controlled corneal abrasion. A laser is used to reshape the cornea. A bandage contact is usually put on the eye to help reduce discomfort and increase healing time. It is a little less invasive since it only removes the surface layer of the cornea, not the deeper layers like above. Risks basically the same.

RK: Uses a very fine diamond blade to make incisions in the cornea in a radial pattern (like spokes of a wheel). The less spokes that need to be made, the less invasive the procedure. Advantage is no flap, but also a little less reliable in terms of outcomes. Risks the same as above.

Intacs: Rings of plastic that are embedded in the cornea to change the shape of the cornea. Not very invasive and reversable, but doesn't go very high up in prescription and only for nearsightedness. Doesn't do much for astigmatism.

Phakic IOL insertion: Basically implants a lens into the eye to correct for refractive error. Right now only being used in very high prescriptions. Long term results unknown since very new, but theoretically traumatic cataract may result over a period of years. Advantage is basically no corneal insult.

Refractive lensectomy: Basically cataract surgery in someone without cataracts, the natural lens is removed and an artificial lens replaces it. Same drawbacks as cataract surgery (risk of macular swelling, retinal detachment, etc.) Typically need reading glasses afterwards, only used in people with very High Rx's.

Conductive Keratoplasty: Uses radio waves to mold the cornea for low amounts of farsightedness. Not a lot of information about this one right now, it is fairly new and not widely used.

ASA is the same procedure as PRK. With PRK the epithelium is removed and not replaced, with ASA the epithelium is peeled back and then replaced. Newer procedure, so less information about risks.

All of the above surgeries have risks, many of them similar risks. All of them can potentially cause permanent vision loss not correctable with glasses or contacts. All of them have very specific criteria for patients to be candidates, and those criteria differ from one procedure to the next. All of them take a very long time to heal due to the avascularity of the cornea.

Perfection is not a realistic goal. At the very least, reading glasses will be needed past 40ish due to the natural aging of the lens inside the eye. Virtually all patients lose some degree of contrast sensitivity after refractive surgery, which is more noticable in older patients. Many have increased glare at night, most notice an increase in dryness.

Whether or not refractive surgery is right for you is between you and your doc. Ask a million questions before having any surgery so you can make an educated decision knowing what to expect and what potentially can happen.

Ok, my fingers are tired of typing now :S Ask me shorter questions next time :P

I had it done 5 years ago and love it! I went from practically blind to almost perfect vision. It was awful skydiving with contacts and losing them periodically and barely being able to see the ground.

My vision is much better now and I haven't had any issues..
W

I had it done 5 years ago and love it! I went from practically blind to almost perfect vision. It was awful skydiving with contacts and losing them periodically and barely being able to see the ground.

This is a pet peeve of mine. If you are practically blind, then no glasses, contacts, or surgery will get you seeing 20/20 again. (this is actually my subspeciality, working with those people). It doesn't matter what you see without correction, as long as with glasses/contacts/refractive surgery, you see 20/20 :)