huka551

Flying commercially with your rig

I know this subject has been discussed to death, but I keep finding contradictory opinions on the subject. Where is the best place to find the specifics on what airport security is allowed to do (ie:unpacking the reserve, or hassleing me about bringing my rig on board with my cypres).

Muff Brother 3723

I always print out a copy of these and place them in the luggage that contains my rig, or if I am carrying the rig on.

I also place a note inside that says the following:
STOP
Contact (insert your name) (insert your phone number) before handling this equipment. See chapter 17.2,ver 4.0 of the screening checkpoint S.O.P. and AVD 6100-47

You can thank LouDiamond for that as I got it from him. So far no troubles.
Hope that helps.
B

You might also want to check out an advisory I wrote to help with inspections by New York City Police. It explains the law and how to check a rig without an invasive inspection. The advisory was initially written at the request of a couple of jumpers and has been provided to the officer in charge of training at NYPD, but I haven't heard any feedback regarding its effectiveness.

I suggest you have this advisory handy so the inspectors have a clear and jumper-friendly reference. The TSA guidelines basically say they can do whatever they want, but inspectors are encouraged to have the owner of the rig available when the inspection is done.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I have flown with my rig as a carry-on almost a dozen times now. I have only been "hassled" once about it (it was more an education thing for a new TSA employee and had nothing to do with me) and have never had to open my main or reserve. I always carry a copy of the section of the TSA SOP pertaining to rigs/AADs and only once did I have to show it to the supervisor who was trying to convince me my Cypres was prohibited (which it obviously isn't).

That's my experience, take it or leave it. I am always friendly and up-front about what the strange backpack-looking thing is and take the time to clarify what different components do when queried about them.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

You'll be fine. Just do us fellow skydivers a big favor and be discrete about it. Don't go screwing with your audible on climbout, either.

Being discrete isn't always an option. I emailed VSE asking for the approx dimensions of my rig when it's finished, so I could shop for a gear bag. Turns out, it's big enough so that if I put it in a gear bag, it's too big for carryon on United, which is the only airline I fly in the US. Thus, I'll have to bareback it.
cavete terrae.

I have that problem depending on what type of plane I fly on. "Bare backing" it is fine too. I have done it plenty and 99% of the whuffos out there are none the wiser. A couple extra tips when/if you do so:

Cinch down your legs straps to max-tight and secure the excess, tie them up and out of the way with a pull-up cord (which can be used to reclose your rig if you have to open your main container for some reason), s-fold up the chest strap and secure it, make sure your main pin is fully seated and hackey deep with no PC fabric showing. Now, it looks just like a backpack with funny shoulder straps.

When you get where you are going do a top to bottom, front to back check on every part of your rig before you jump it.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

If you have a rig mounted hook knife - you may want to remove it and put it in your checked luggage. I carried on a few times and not been hassled about it, but sinced it occurred to me to removed it and put it in the checked stuff I KNOW I won't get hassled.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

if you have a cypres, carry the X-ray card with you. If you run into TSA guys that aren't familiar with rigs, they just see a detenator. Having the card and the TSA/USPA documents can only help.

I've only traveled once. The guys in Oakland were a bit puzzled and eventually approved it by committee. Maybe a 5 minute holdup. On the way home from San Diego, hardly a pause at all.

Just went through Denver International this weekend, with rig in a gearbag. They called a supervisor over to look at it. They ran it through xray twice, opened the gear bag, ran the cloth swab all over it to do an explosives test. They were very careful handling the rig, I showed tthem the handle that they shouldn't pull. All was good, and I was on my way.

I offered to explain what they were seeing. Had all the TSA and CYPRES paperwork with me just in case. I made sure that I didn't appear nervious or upset that I was being delayed by the extra scrutiny.I made sure I was smiling and happy to explain anything to them. That seemed to put them at ease.

it's big enough so that if I put it in a gear bag, it's too big for carryon...Thus, I'll have to bareback it.

Good luck. It will only take one nervous Nellie that recognizes it to get security involved, then you're out of luck.

Too big for carry on? Probably 1/3 of the bags people bring on are too big. They never want to tell people they can't take stuff on.

I think they should have 2 bars that you must walk through or else you have to buy 2 seats or a first class ticket. :D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Being discrete isn't always an option. I emailed VSE asking for the approx dimensions of my rig when it's finished, so I could shop for a gear bag. Turns out, it's big enough so that if I put it in a gear bag, it's too big for carryon on United, which is the only airline I fly in the US. Thus, I'll have to bareback it.

I'm sure you can find a carry-on suitcase that your container will fit in. I have a Javelin J-3 and can fit it into one of my smaller suitcases that is able to be carried on. When I had my J-5, I had no problem finding a suitcase for it also. Just pack everything else in your gear bag, check it, and then swap stuff around when you get to your destination.

In most situations, carrying it bareback won't cause major problems, but why go advertising and looking for trouble when it should be an easy solution to find a suitcase able to hold your container. Most of the time they won't even blink at the suitcase.

Don

I'm sure you can find a carry-on suitcase that your container will fit in. I have a Javelin J-3 and can fit it into one of my smaller suitcases that is able to be carried on. When I had my J-5, I had no problem finding a suitcase for it also. Just pack everything else in your gear bag, check it, and then swap stuff around when you get to your destination.

In most situations, carrying it bareback won't cause major problems, but why go advertising and looking for trouble when it should be an easy solution to find a suitcase able to hold your container. Most of the time they won't even blink at the suitcase.

Don

The size that Kelly quoted to me leaves me with approximately one inch to work with in terms of length and width, NOT including the harness, which should only theoretically affect the thickness. I'm *hoping* I can get a 22" pilot case that it'll fit in, but since I won't have the rig for another month or so, I won't find out until then.
cavete terrae.

The size that Kelly quoted to me leaves me with approximately one inch to work with in terms of length and width, NOT including the harness, which should only theoretically affect the thickness. I'm *hoping* I can get a 22" pilot case that it'll fit in, but since I won't have the rig for another month or so, I won't find out until then.

You don't need a hard case. A soft sided bag will do. That will add way less than an inch in each direction (unless it is half inch thick fabric).

You don't need a hard case. A soft sided bag will do. That will add way less than an inch in each direction (unless it is half inch thick fabric).

Good point, I suppose. I'd like to get something I can get my goggles, alti, and logbook into, though. I don't like the idea of stuff just flopping around all willy nilly with the rig.

Then again, I suppose I could throw those in my laptop bag.
cavete terrae.

I would put nothing but the rig in the carry on. It makes inspections a lot quicker and it is less clutter on the x-ray machine image. You are bound to have a checked bag, so just put the logbook, alti and other stuff in that.

Also, you will probably find that the dimensions you were given have some wiggle room. The container will be able to squeeze into a tight space, you just want to make sure it doesn't snag on anything.

Don

I would put nothing but the rig in the carry on. It makes inspections a lot quicker and it is less clutter on the x-ray machine image. You are bound to have a checked bag, so just put the logbook, alti and other stuff in that.

Also, you will probably find that the dimensions you were given have some wiggle room. The container will be able to squeeze into a tight space, you just want to make sure it doesn't snag on anything.

Don

I'd rather throw the alti and stuff in my laptop bag. That way, if those morons lose my clothes, I can still have everything I need to jump. $200 worth of tshirts and shorts is no big loss.
cavete terrae.

I'd rather throw the alti and stuff in my laptop bag. That way, if those morons lose my clothes, I can still have everything I need to jump. $200 worth of tshirts and shorts is no big loss.

Yup, that's what I do. I keep all my skydiving stuff with me when I fly. I'd rather they lose my clothes then any of my skydiving stuff.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I have flown numerous time with my rig as carry on without much trouble. Just keep all the documents on you. One time I forgot my hook Knife was attached to my rig it was at Vienna Airport. The security guard examined the x-ray then asked me if I am carrying any dangerous items, I said no and he let me carry on. This was post 9-11.

Came back with my rig from Orlando to the UK.

Had planned in putting the rig in a hard 'approved carry-on case, but turned out to big to fit easily - its an I6 Icon - (well, did when crushed!) and weighed loads (grossly over the 6kg weight limit). I ended up keeping it in its cloth gearbag (which is a snug fit) along with the cypres card and docs I got from here, and just slung it over my shoulder trying to make it look light!

Through the xray machines was the only interesting time - the TSO lady reversed it back into the xray machine and stared at it for 10-15 seconds - presumably until she worked out what it was :D

Didn't even open the gear bag.