ntrprnr

What were you thinking during your first pull time?

I think after I looked up and saw canopy, the first thing I did was look down and watch both my instructors go in (i.e. pull 3000 ft lower than me). I think I really thought they did, the first time. After that, once I realized it was an optical illusion, it became much more fun to watch.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Oh, there we go---OW, MY NUTS GOD DAMMIT!!!"

Lesson learned -- the gear check includes your plumbing. Hip straps tucked between thighs and your nuts, plumbing centered.

Yep, better to have a line over than a ball under;)

I had some major pilotchute hesitation on my first jump, and I remember thinking, OH MY GOD IT DIDENT WORK, right about then it opened and it was the best feeling in my life for about two seconds until I then realized I still had to land
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

Door: Holy shit
Freefall: Sweet jesus I never want to be on the ground again
Pulltime: This might be a good time to start believing in god
landing approach: why don't i hear anything coming out of the radio... okay.. okay.. just remember the turn altitudes they told me for landing.
On final: shit... when do i flare?!?

Ended up flaring a little late, pulled my legs up... bounced off my ass and landed on my feet. Instructor tried to repair my backside pride by complimenting my first stand up landing....

first time i pulled i was thinking only on ething" god damit why is it not pulling. had to really put some effort in to it that thing was a bitch to pull but hey pull or die so ...... i pulled
If you can't race it or take it to bed.... it aint worth having.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Oh, there we go---OW, MY NUTS GOD DAMMIT!!!"

Lesson learned -- the gear check includes your plumbing. Hip straps tucked between thighs and your nuts, plumbing centered.

It's a lesson I've only been taught once... and I don't see it happening again. My leg straps were loose on the first jump, causing things to move around in freefall. What was out of the way in the plane was not out of the way at pull time.

It's now part of my gear check: Three rings, three handles, three bits. :D
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I was so far in sensory overload the video is hysterical. The video guy finally got me to do the whole 3 practice touches (cause I was ignoring my isntructors instructions...not sure why, but apparently I was), but on the third practice touch, I actually deployed. The only thought in my head was "one, two, deploy!!!" and then I had a canopy. Of course, I couldn't breathe, and I wouldn't touch the toggles; I was scared it would collapse the canopy. So I drifted around for a while, and finally got the courage up to steer. And then, of course, I had to find the airport...I eventually found it, and crossed the runway at about 300 feet, made a 180 turn, and promptly got crosswind somehow. I landed on my feet but fell over on my side.

Yes, we had a long talk. And yes, it didn't happen again. And yes, it's only funny in hindsight...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

*Door* Wow im scared

*Freefall* Seemed like 2 seconds, brain freeze for ya

*Pull altitude* Jesus the ground gets big fast, and whats that blocking my view? Oh a pull finger.

*under canopy* Why are you facing the wrong way? ohhh i see the risers are twisted and nearly chopped my head off

*landing* So this is ground rush, i gotta flare low, look ahead, damn it i've flared and still no ground, whack.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

in the plane, mental rehearsal, check all my handles, mental rehearsal, check all my handles, mental rehearsal, check all my handles, verbal rehearsal, check all my handles. door opens, holy crap we're high, time to climb out, okay, let's go. ready-set-goooooooooooooo. HOLY CRAP ARE WE EVER GOING FAST!!! supposed to do something now, oh yeah, circle of awareness! hi to the right side jumpmaster, high to the left side jumpmaster, check the horizon, check altimeter. three practice pulls, let's see, right arm back, left arm up, good. do it again, and again, it's all good, i can find and reach the handle. now what, oh yeah, circle of awareness again. dammit, was it horizon then altimeter, or the other way around? i'll do it the other way around next time. circle of awareness, check alti, lock on, and it's pull time! yeah baby, this is it, pull for real, reach for my belly band (our rigs had belly band mounted pilot chutes the year before. i had practiced over and over on the ground, got it all good, practice pulls were good, went for the belly band anyway) shit, i realized immediately i had gone for the wrong place and in that split second between my brain figuring it out and my hand moving, my main-side jumpmaster grabbed my hand and moved it around back. thanks donnie! .....and pull! hey, where the hell are those guys going?woooooaaaaahhhhhhhhhh! canopy opens, check it out, it's square, stable, slider down, let's see if the damn thing will steer. it did! yay me! okay, there's the dz, lets go land this puppy.

landing was uneventful, the feeling unforgetable. i loved doing the iad's and they hooked me on the sport, but this was like a whole new, more intense sport. i still love it.
B|
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

The funny thing is that these being skydiving forums... we're only hearing from people who loved their first jump [be it good or bad] and came back again and again and again. If only there was somebody to hear from that never wanted to jump again... it's a perspective I'm not familiar with.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Just to show the flip side, my best friend didn't like it at all. In fact, she hated it. And she wasn't even that scared.

Also, my best friend's boyfriend said it was boring - like sitting still with a 120 mph fan blowing in your face.

But I liked it! B|

I was pretty much in sensory overload from the time we exited. I did note the "pucker factor" was +10 or so. I missed my second COA and the video actually shows the instructor WHACK me on the melon to bring me back from whatever planet I had gone off to inhabit...
At pull time the instructor guided my hand back to the handle. I gave him a brief look, and yelled "see ya"... Then attempted to avoid loading my jump suit until it opened... After I was under a good canopy I distinctly recall saying to myself "WHAT THE F*CK WAS I THINKING!!!" and then "I DUNNO, BUT WE ARE GONNA DO IT AGAIN!!!!"

"Uh oh! This is gonna hurt!"

I did S/L progression, so my first “real” pull - my first freefall on Jump #6 – felt almost exactly as my previous 3 DRCP jumps, because I basically pulled the instant I left the step, so I had a canopy over my head as fast as if it had been a S/L. Now my first EVER jump, I remember the JM’s “Go!!”, I remember leaving the step....then I remember looking up and seeing a big, round T-10 over my head. I have absolutely no memory, no visual picture whatsoever, of the 3 or 4 seconds between exit and canopy. Total sensory overload. And then...all was calm.
Remember how incredibly QUIET it was the first time in your life you were under a canopy? The silence of that first canopy ride was the most magical sound I had ever heard, and it would remain so until years later when I heard my oldest child’s heartbeat in utero for the very first time. And that’s quite a comparison.

NOTHING I was suppossed to be. I reverse arched, didn't count, I did everything wrong. (I did land properly) That said, I was the only one of a really large class that jumped twice that day and my second jump went flawlessly.

I remember the silence after my chute opened the first time. I knew there was something going on there, ya know? :)

Ok pull @ 4:00 (Clock thing) well its almost 4.....

Wait its going the wrong way....
WTF.
OH S*&%.......
God I hope I do this right.....

Just kidding. I was actually on AFF when I did my first actual no one near me pull. On exit my instructor and I became seperated do to a bad count on my part and I found my self finally getting stable some distance from him. Until this moment I had trouble with altitude awareness. He came up to dock and I looked at my altimeter and waved him off (At that time @ 5k). I turned tracked and pulled. It was great but I knew I was going to get a chewing out on the ground.
The instructor came up to me and shook my hand. He said "Lousy exit but you got stable and knew where you were. Good job." It turns out that he was concerned about my altitude awareness and was coming into dock to make sure I was AWARE.
Still had to repeat the jump though(no surprise).

BSBD
Home of the Alabama Gang