Pokemon

Why are so few?

Care to explain that?

It seems as though we are experiencing a form of “white guilt” from the original poster.
In America, we are raised to believe that blacks and other minorities must be given every opportunity to participate in every aspect of our “White” society. This type of pressure is passively forced upon us by our schools our music and the media.

There are liberal skydivers that feel the need to include other races out of fear that skydiving will be labeled a segregate society.

Another problem I see is that our media conditions white people to want so badly to be seen as “hip”. They are looking for that “black” stamp of approval. The aspiration is to give skydiving notoriety among the Hip Hop/MTV world. This will somehow validate skydiving and bring the sport into the mainstream.

I feel that this is the true motivation people ask why skydiving is not more diversified. They have been brainwashed into worrying about a group of people that have absolutely no interest in our sport and probably never will.

I am extremely proud to be Caucasian. I am very happy to be involved in a sport that doesn’t require me to tip toe around ethnic cliques, where political correctness is not forced upon me.

Be proud of who you are and be proud to have this small microcosm society where you can be yourself and surround yourself with like-minded people.

UntamedDOG

Alright, I'm Indian (dot). Born in India, raised in Florida. I can understand and explain why there aren't too many Indians in the area. It's all about social upbringing.

Most Indians, in the States, are raised almost exclusively around other Indians, and especially in big cities with large desi populations (like Chicago).

So that's all they really hang out with. Indians are also raised very traditionally; we're not a very active people; generally, we're raised to spend more time studying and working, rather than playing sports. (Of course, this isn't always the case, but is mostly true.) Our city does not have a very large Indian population, and I went to a rather expensive privat school, so I mainly hung out with whites ... i had a weird upbringing, since I was raised traditionally, but those around me weren't, so I grew up doing my own thing, and when I started jumping, it was purely on a whim, and alone.

When my cousin came down to visit from Illinois, he was extremely surprised that my parents (pretty much very traditional Indian folk) had done tandem skydives. Nobody up there would ever do anything "crazy" like that. People stick to the groups they're around most often, and if nobody in their group does anything "extreme", they usually don't do that either. It's very difficult to break away from something you've known for so long.

I know that was a ramble but hopefully it makes sense. It's all about social and cultural upbringing.
This ad space for sale.

"The aspiration is to give skydiving notoriety among the Hip Hop/MTV world. This will somehow validate skydiving and bring the sport into the mainstream."

Yes of course... I can't count the number of times I've seen performance designs ads in the back of Jet Magazine, sunpath two page inserts in Black Enterprise, and let us not forget the all Black 4 way team that helped launch the new season of MTV's Inferno. Yes, there's definitely a concerted effort to "give skydiving notoriety among the Hip Hop/MTV world."

That's right up there with crop circles.

.......................It's all about social and cultural upbringing.

Ditto to this. And I add economics.

I don't think it's unheard of to want to have people you can relate to when you are out enjoying yourself. Lots of times around the bon-fire if the conversation isn't skydiving related then there isn't much I can contribute to it then it becomes boring.

Blue Skies Black Death

When I was active (73-80), I met exactly 2 black skydivers in my travels. I jumped at some pretty large and active places also including Z-Hills, Deland, Hinkley, and a few others. I asked one of these guys that question then and he responded "Black poeple are afraid of heights." I believe he was dead serious though I never had the chance to ask anyone else.

I think all humans are "afraid of heights" so some extent, so I'm sure it's more than just that.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Lots of times around the bon-fire if the conversation isn't skydiving related then there isn't much I can contribute to it then it becomes boring.

I'm not sure I would believe you're the only one that finds this to be true... I know that I sometimes find that some conversations around the bonfire are not exactly in line with my interests.

I don't get it: Why is it that no one else likes to discuss high level physics, etc? :S:D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I have a much harder time relating to people around the bonfire who are all about drinking and doing drugs, than people who may not be of the same ethnicity as me.

Hey, why do white Americans not have any trouble hanging with and befriending white South Africans or Brits around skydiving circles? They're not "our people".

I think that the impetus for blacks to stick with other groups of blacks and therefore not "break into" skydiving is simple bigotry.

I think it's crap, to not feel "comfortable" if you're black/woman/asian/whatever when you show up at a DZ and don't see "your kind." That's just bullshit. A bullshit excuse for not being willing to open up to others who are not exactly "your kind." And yet we whites are the ones called bigoted/racist, etc. I am just as likely to befriend a black person who comes to any DZ where I jump as I am a white.

I think anyone who eschews an activity because there aren't enough of "their kind" engaged in it is being shallow and prejudiced.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

"I think it's crap, to not feel "comfortable" if you're black/woman/asian/whatever when you show up at a DZ and don't see "your kind." That's just bullshit. A bullshit excuse for not being willing to open up to others who are not exactly "your kind." And yet we whites are the ones called bigoted/racist, etc. I am just as likely to befriend a black person who comes to any DZ where I jump as I am a white."

No, it's not bullshit and the arguement isn't that simple. If a Black person shows up at a DZ then they obviously don't have a problem not being around their kind as that's one of the last places I'd go to hang out with other Black people. The fact of the matter is we all have lives outside the DZ which more often than not have a greater influence on who we are. Do I have friends at my home DZ? Yes. Do I hang out with them the same way I hang out with my non jumping friends. No. Not because they're white but simply because outside of skydiving we really don't have that much in common. Everyone likes to have fun but we do it in different ways. Again, not solely because we're different races but that has something to do with it. Differences are good and should be celebrated.

It's a lot easier to say it's bullshit for not feeling comfortable when the majority of the people around look like you.

I think it's crap, to not feel "comfortable" if you're black/woman/asian/whatever when you show up at a DZ and don't see "your kind." That's just bullshit. A bullshit excuse for not being willing to open up to others who are not exactly "your kind." And yet we whites are the ones called bigoted/racist, etc. I am just as likely to befriend a black person who comes to any DZ where I jump as I am a white.

I think anyone who eschews an activity because there aren't enough of "their kind" engaged in it is being shallow and prejudiced.

Reverse the situation lets say you were to take up tidlywinks.....but all of the tidlywinks parlors are dominated by plutonians. After a good day of tidlywinks everyone is cooling out by the fire. Now the plutonians aren't trying to exlude you but they do tend to talk about pluto quite often. you try to understand and contribute but you just don't know that much about pluto.

Blue Skies Black Death

Now the plutonians aren't trying to exlude you but they do tend to talk about pluto quite often. you try to understand and contribute but you just don't know that much about pluto.

Can you give some conversational topics that White Guys center on and what Black Guys like to talk about and how they diverge so badly? Honest question here - this is a real chance for insight. I had no idea you'd consider someone of another race as different as from an entire planetary species.

For me - I like to talk about 4-way, women, what other jumpers are doing. Some people talk about canopies and who's going out with who, etc. We talk about food, movies, etc. Some talk about their families or work.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

you try to understand and contribute but you just don't know that much about pluto.

And you never will know anything about Pluto unless you sit down and listen to a discussion about the planet... That's not to say you are expected or required to be interested in the planet pluto and all the ins and outs of the plutonian society... and I'm not suggesting that you (or anyone else for that matter.) won't feel welcome at the party after a day of jumping. (god knows I've found myself in that situatiuon before)

but it also doesn't mean that I won't go out of my way to welcome every person I see at the DZ and take the time to get to try and make someone feel welcome good one... (regardless of ethnicity)

Even if that means talking about Physics :P;)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

"Can you give some conversational topics that White Guys center on and what Black Guys like to talk about and how they diverge so badly? Honest question here - this is a real chance for insight. I had no idea you'd consider someone of another race as different as from an entire planetary species.

For me - I like to talk about 4-way, women, what other jumpers are doing. Some people talk about canopies and who's going out with who, etc. We talk about food, movies, etc. Some talk about their families or work."

Although you weren't speaking directly to me I feel like I can provide a little insight. The topics that my friends, skydiving and non skydiving, talk about are similar. For example, women. But the specifics can be different which is where they begin to diverge. I'm paraphrasing, but a jumping friend of mine said something along the lines of "Fuck, that Katie Holmes is hot!" He started to go on and on about her and another woman I'd never heard of, and another jumper piggy backed on what he said. The conversation continued and more and more women were added to the list. I had NO idea who any of them were. My non skydiving friends and I could have the same conversation but we would talk about how Kenya Moore's ass looks like a lovely brown mountain, or how Elise Neal would make any man want to settle down. Have you ever heard of Kenya Moore or Elise Neal? Either way, I hope you understand my point.

Talking about canopies, 4 way, movies, and generally shooting the shit is cool. But at some point it gets a little surface. It it always the case where I can't have a meaningful conversation with someone at the DZ? No. But it does happen and race is one of the many parts of it.

PS You need to see this... www.kenyamoore.com

You see?!!! This is what I'm missing when you don't speak up at the bonfire. That's is a very fine woman. Much better than little tiny Katie Holmes.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You see?!!! This is what I'm missing when you don't speak up at the bonfire. That's is a very fine woman. Much better than little tiny Katie Holmes.

True enough. My basic point is we're all at least a little different, for a number of different reasons.

>I don't get it: Why is it that no one else likes to discuss high level physics, etc?

I've often wondered the same thing. No one wants to talk about solid state physics, quantum mechanics, power conversion technologies or radioisotope stability when I'm at the DZ. I feel excluded. People go around saying "that bill guy is talking about half-dead cats again; I'm outta here."

Alright, I'm Indian (dot). Born in India, raised in Florida. I can understand and explain why there aren't too many Indians in the area. It's all about social upbringing.

Most Indians, in the States, are raised almost exclusively around other Indians, and especially in big cities with large desi populations (like Chicago).

So that's all they really hang out with. Indians are also raised very traditionally; we're not a very active people; generally, we're raised to spend more time studying and working, rather than playing sports. (Of course, this isn't always the case, but is mostly true.) Our city does not have a very large Indian population, and I went to a rather expensive privat school, so I mainly hung out with whites ... i had a weird upbringing, since I was raised traditionally, but those around me weren't, so I grew up doing my own thing, and when I started jumping, it was purely on a whim, and alone.

When my cousin came down to visit from Illinois, he was extremely surprised that my parents (pretty much very traditional Indian folk) had done tandem skydives. Nobody up there would ever do anything "crazy" like that. People stick to the groups they're around most often, and if nobody in their group does anything "extreme", they usually don't do that either. It's very difficult to break away from something you've known for so long.

I know that was a ramble but hopefully it makes sense. It's all about social and cultural upbringing.

I think this is the correct response. The truth is the vast majority of groups like to stick in groups, here at uni the is majority white, but you always see groups of indians, asians in their own groups, etc. You can see this in UK as a whole with areas such a leicester where you have a massive asian population.

The truth is the vast majority of groups like to stick in groups, here at uni the is majority white, but you always see groups of indians, asians in their own groups, etc. You can see this in UK as a whole with areas such a leicester where you have a massive asian population.

Happen's everywhere. I stopped caring about all that crap a long time ago. It's as simple as a black guy having a gene that codes for more melanin production when white people do. Nothing more nothing less.

Hell, maybe the reason we are all here is due to a few key "excitement" genes too....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ya we'll rape the local objects, and maybe do some jumps too!"

>I don't get it: Why is it that no one else likes to discuss high level physics, etc?

I've often wondered the same thing. No one wants to talk about solid state physics, quantum mechanics, power conversion technologies or radioisotope stability when I'm at the DZ. I feel excluded. People go around saying "that bill guy is talking about half-dead cats again; I'm outta here."

But........how do you know the cat is half dead?:P That would actually be some interesting conversation.

hehehe....i work with mostly black people, and i have had several (men and women) ask me about going to do a tandem. mostly just talk (the whole "i would but i'm broke right now" speech), but they do show an interest. and one friend of mine called me up on a saturday morning about 2 months ago and said "I'm ready to jump, lets go!" he had a blast, but got sick when he landed - he wanted the TI to flip them out the door and it ended up making him sick when combined with the high performance turns under canopy and the bag of chocolate he ate on the way to the DZ:o:S:D
my favorite post-skydive quote from him: "We were going too goddamn fast, TOO fast....it made me woozy!"
he says he will do it again, but only tandem - he says deploying his own chute and flying the canopy would be too scary....:S

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...