HardCorr

Stupidest thing you've ever done? (Skydiving Related)

A former jumper of ours got together with another guy and hooked up their canopies backwards. Somehow they managed to get into a downplane. While they where in a downplane, they simultaneously chopped and then docked and did a downplane with their reserves breaking off very low.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

1995 fresno state half time show......37,000 people........bout 1000 ft winds picked up......landed outside of stadium....hit pretty hard.....people ran up asking if i needed ambulance........nope......went to beer booth got 2 buds........was jumping a budwizer emblosed parachute and had to buy beers...go figure.........

Exited at 1800ft (because clouds made us come back down from altitude and I REALLY wanted to get a jump in) from a 182. Tossed my pilot too soon, only to have it hang up on my heel. Got it kicked off, main deployed in a severe snivel with me pumping up and down on my rear risers as I passed through 800 feet. It finally caught full air shortly there after, I executed one turn and landed right in front of manifest. A few spectators thought it was amazing. Those who knew better thought is was STUPID.

Thought about quitting jumping while I was in the middle of about a month lay off. After the lay off and I jumped again, relized that was the stupidest thing that I have ever thought about doing because the best part of my week is the sunday I spend at the DZ
---------------
"Once you find a job that you like, you never have to work another day in your life"

First, I paid too much money for a used rig sold to me by the DZO the weekend I graduated from the student course at an upstate, NY DZ in 1985. (NOT the Ranch.) The rig was in pretty good shape, but I learned the next day from other jumpers that it was not worth the money he charged me.

A few months later, I broke a steering line and sent the main to Para-Flite for repairs. It arrived back home on a weekday and I hooked it up on the front lawn, checking to make sure the lines were on correctly. All looked good. I packed it. I had about 60 jumps at the time.

I went out of town to the Boston area; on the way home I visited a DZ in Woodstock, CT, shook some hands, filled out some paperwork, and did a hop 'n' pop from the 182. Moments later I was looking up at a pilot chute. The main was open and flying backwards. Stupid main!

I saw no reason to chop a good main and risk a possible reserve malfunction, so I rode it in, landing in a grassy field adjacent to the runway. Half brakes, no attempt to flare because I was disoriented and didn't want to stall the canopy at an inopportune moment. Tumbled more than 20 feet, leaving a path of trampled grass. Quickly removed my helmet and put it on backwards, then stood up and started gathering my gear as people ran up to me to see if I was okay.

Cheers,
Jon S.

Flared at approx 25 feet and held it due to flying somewhat blind and being disoriented... Still dealing with the pain from that but I survived, and that jump alone taught me more about skydiving then any other jump Ive made.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Stupidest thing I ever did? I didn't research the canopy I was jumping. Yesterday I made 2 jumps. One under a Diablo 135 and one under a Sabre 135. On the diable I could bury the toggle and it would turn really fast, it was fun. Next jump, Sabre, I'm at 1500ft and bury the toggle to get in a different direction, I gave myself some line twists. That was pretty scary. Luckily it cleared pretty fast. Learned from it.
Na' Cho' Cheese

Haven't been jumping long enough to do anything No-Shit-stupid, but I've already managed stupid-stupid.

Jumped with a cold.

Could have been inner-ear problems or ruptured eardrums I guess (really stupid), and ended up deaf, but what happened was opening shock forced all the air out of my lungs and I went blind.

Blind?

Yeah, that's what happens when your goggles are totally covered in snot.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

bury the toggle to get in a different direction, I gave myself some line twists.

I did that on a PD-210 loaded at around .8:1, and a lot lower than you were. Be careful, bro, it can happen at any wing loading with the "right" canopy.

That was pretty scary.

Yeah, I had the same reaction. :o

I just saw this video on a show called "Sports Disasters" on TLC.

Some guy named Tom Bernard in Rantoul tried to do a stunt of swooping into a giant hangar through door #1 and swoop out of door #2. Kinda like a u-turn swoop. Very low margin of error.

Well the left side of his canopy got caught on the left side of door #1 as he entered the hangar. He was going fast and got thrown down on the concrete real hard. Fractured his pelvis several times.B|

In the interview he says he survived and is still skydiving and doing crazy stunts.

Completing AFF and then promptly breaking my right elbow horse riding. I remember thinking, "That sucks, I broke my arm." And then it hit me, I can't skydive... For that I was in tears. I've never felt dull, gnawing despair like that before. Earned two titanium screws for the event. Best thing about getting hardware to fix you up is a fast recovery! Have rig on the way and can’t wait to re-qualify.:)