Anyone know when we will see the first non petrol powered jump ship?

When will we have planes that run on clean, sustainable energy and not Jet A, anyone know?

I was vaguely wondering about this the other day. Now jet fuel is pretty similar to diesel/parrafin right? And diesel cars can be run on vegetable oil (or similar), so could we ever have a jumpship running on the waste from the local chippy (suitably filtered of course)?

If anyone can tell me why this wouldn't work for reasons of weight, energy density or whatever I'd quite like to know.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

For fuel is is pretty much all about energy per kg of fuel. For engines it is all about power per kg of engine. I'm working on a coal powered turbine. On the side I've got a nuclear option too. Plutonium or neptunium preferably.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

When will we have planes that run on clean, sustainable energy and not Jet A, anyone know?

The internal combustion engine is the worst thing you could ever use to propel an aircraft, except
for
pretty much everything else that's been tried. Like darkwing said, it's all about the energy
density. In non-technical terms, batteries weigh a shitload. From http://www.tinaja.com/glib/energfun.pdf :

Here are a few common...
ENERGY DENSITY COMPARISONS
Gasoline 9000 Wh/l 13,500 Wh/Kg
LNG 7216 Wh/l 12,100 Wh/Kg
Propane 6600 Wh/l 13,900 Wh/Kg
Ethanol 6100 WH/l 7,850 Wh/Kg
Liquid H2 2600 Wh/l 39,000 Wh/Kg (uncontained)
150 Bar H2 405 WH/l 39,000 Wh/Kg (uncontained)
Lithium 250 Wh/l 350 Wh/Kg
Flywheel 210 Wh/l 120 Wh/Kg
Liquid N2 65 Wh/l 55 Wh/Kg
Lead Acid 40 Wh/l 25 Wh/Kg
Compr Air 17 Wh/l 34 Wh/Kg
STP H2 2.7 Wh/l 39,000 Wh/Kg (uncontained)

In practical terms, 50 gallons of 100LL weighs about 300 pounds and has about 1.8 megawatt-hours
of chemical energy. The engine throws away something like two-thirds of that, so you actually put
about 610 kilowatt-hours into the prop. If you wanted to replace that with an electric motor and
batteries, the electric motor would probably be a little lighter than the gasoline engine. The motor,
controller, and wiring will be something like 85% efficient, so to put 610 kilowatt-hours into the prop,
you need about 720 kilowatt-hours from the batteries. If you used high-dollar lithium batteries, you'd
need around 4500 pounds of batteries. If you used plain old lead-acid batteries, you'd need about
63,000 pounds of batteries.

My personal opinion, speaking only for myself, is that elemental hydrogen is bogus. If gasoline goes
up to one hundred times its current price, hydrogen might be useful, but other than that it's not too
great.

Nukes won't help aircraft much, but they might make a comeback for feeding the power grid. We have
to do something intelligent with the waste, though.

I was vaguely wondering about this the other day. Now jet fuel is pretty similar to diesel/parrafin right? And diesel cars can be run on vegetable oil (or similar), so could we ever have a jumpship running on the waste from the local chippy (suitably filtered of course)?

Possibly. I think you'd probably see some mix of biodiesel (veggie oil) and petrodiesel (from crude oil),
or at least some additives to the biodiesel to help out at low temperatures. Biodiesel thickens up at higher
temperatures than petrodiesel. In cars that run BD100 (100% biodiesel), this is handled one of two
ways. When you start up in the morning, you can use a small electric heater to melt a bit of the veggie oil
enough so that it can be pumped to the engine. Once you're off and running, the waste heat from the
engine (coolant/exhaust) is enough to keep the fuel liquid. The other way is to have a little tank of
petrodiesel. Right before you shut the engine down, you switch to the petrodiesel tank and let the
engine run for a bit until the lines are full of petrodiesel. Then you shut down. When you come back,
you run on petrodiesel until the waste heat has warmed up the biodiesel tank, then you switch back to
biodesel. Some people just "cut" their petrodiesel with varying amounts of biodiesel - BD20 (20% bio,
80% petro) seems to be popular. This mix avoids some of the gelling problems, so you don't have to
install special hardware on the car. It's not pure renewable, but it makes the nonrenewable stuff go
further. The low-temperature problem is worse for jets, because they fly through colder air than most
cars ever see. And yes, when a vehicle is running fuel with enough biodiesel in it, the exhaust does
smell like French fries or a chip shop.

In general, the link I gave above is interesting reading on the basics of energy sources, both for
transportation and in general. I don't agree with all of the opinions in it but the facts are pretty
sound, I think.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

What about Balloon jumps? ... Wouldn't quite work for a comercial DZ though, not fast enough turn around.

Also could you run turbine engines on bio-diesel? (Whoops just saw Jakee's post)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

> When will we have planes that run on clean, sustainable energy and not
>Jet A, anyone know?

Diamond Industries is now selling a Thielert-diesel-powered single and twin, the DA40 and the DA42. Neither is especially good for skydiving, but the technology is certainly there. (Diesels can run on vegetable oil.)

Nukes won't help aircraft much, but they might make a comeback for feeding the power grid. We have
to do something intelligent with the waste, though.

Google "Nuclear bomber" sometime. The project got as far as flying a bomber with a functioning reactor aboard. Shielding was a problem, but they envisioned a bomber that stayed airborne continuously and the crews shuttled on and off as they reached their dose limit. Five minutes to altitude, but you'll take 50 rads on the way up.

> When will we have planes that run on clean, sustainable energy and not
>Jet A, anyone know?

Diamond Industries is now selling a Thielert-diesel-powered single and twin, the DA40 and the DA42. Neither is especially good for skydiving, but the technology is certainly there. (Diesels can run on vegetable oil.)

Thielert will soon have a 350HP twin turbo V8 diesel (runs on JET A) that would be great for a 206. Maybe running on Veg oil it would need to be detuned a bit. Still would probably be a rocket compared to a regular 206 and way more fuel efficient...

rm