sleddog

Jumping out of non jump planes

Never tried a Cherokee, but I've jumped a few 150's. I've always left the door on, but made sure to cover any extending handles or hardware that might snag my equipment. If the pilot puts the airplane in a slip it's pretty easy to open the door. CAUTION: Flying a plane at low airspeed in an uncoordinated slip can be very dangerous. Be careful who you use as a jump pilot.

I think one of my favorite jumps was from an AgCat, a single seat cropdusting bi-plane. There weren't any conventional seats for jumpers, and the chemical hopper had stuff in it, so two of us took off sitting on the big yellow benches that stick out from the airframe. There were even these cool wire handles to hang onto as the airplane climbed. What a blast, but probably not legal.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Piper PA32 Cherokee Six is no big deal, just remove the aft passenger door and baggage door.
A few schools used Cherokee Sixes for regular jump planes. Great for tandems, but a bitch for AFF. The only difficulty is spotting by trying to look under the wing flap (usually extended on jump run.)

I've done a C210 with the door still on. Have the pilot slip hard right and push your way out. Watch the handles.

Jumped from the back seat of a Citabria. Dorr off, squeeze past pilot, crouch on the step and go. Watch your handles.

My favorite was a two seat ultralight, an MX-2. No place to put your feet, so you just kind of push yourself up and out, over the front. Cool.B|

When you find someone to give you a lift let me know. Then I'll be out to add a jump in South Dakota to my log book.;)

Whhooohooo! South Dakota ;)

Grew up there, still waiting to do my first jump there ... :ph34r:

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I jumped from a Cherokee 140 before. We took the door off. No big deal there but the manual states you have to put a placard on the instrument panel stating what the limits of the aircraft are for operation with the door removed. We did that because we wanted to do everything legally.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

made 4 jumps at an airshow a long time ago out of a Tri-Pacer...
( a little Like a P Cub.) we took the door Off.. and my buddy and I took turns, since One jumper with gear maxxed out the "passenger" compartment.....:):SB|;) fall rate issues...) hahahahaha exited with the gear folded away...

No Problem- with the Tiger--

Get both feet outside the plane and dive for the wing tip. That will get you outboard of the horizontal stabilizer. Actually, the downwash blows you below it.

Remember that the jumper on the wing is like a big spoiler, and expect at least a 500 fpm descent, even at Vy.

Have fun!

Harry
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

made 4 jumps at an airshow a long time ago out of a Tri-Pacer") ( we built a 2 way.. :D:SB|;) ...

I was part owner of a Tri-Pacer in the early 80's. Our goal was to land a skydiver at Fran's Star Ranch in Nevada, and return him safely to Long Beach.

MIssion accomplished may times.

Removed the back left door and seat back from the right seat. Could carry 3 jumpers (very cozy)

\Blue Skies!

Harry
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."