jumpjunkie2004

What's your favorite plane?

I come from a 182 DZ so 99% of my experience comes from that. But the few times I've jumped larger aircraft/turbines I have to say the tailgate aircraft..skyvan & CASA have been the best experiences.

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

I like 'em all. Growing up a static-line baby at a Cessna DZ, I have a soft spot in my heart for 182s, though I like our 206 a little better ... more room to kick around.

I can be a turbine snob, too. But there is something to be said about the Cessna "experience" and I'm glad I've learned that way. Spotting, sitting right next to the pilot and shooting the shit on the way to altitude, seeing the look on the pilot's face when someone does the bat hang off the strut, fighting with sticky door handles. Good stuff.:)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I really, really like the PAC. Fast climb rate, comfortable with 14 people (even more comfy with the 5 that it takes to turn it at Davis), big windows, good ventilation and a way better door than a King Air.

But it's still not a tailgater....;)

Really enjoyed the Turbolet 410 because I could stand up in the door: and I'm 6ft. Climbed fast too. I've loved the Porter ever since jumping in Pujaut, France. Those bad boys land and load up before the skydivers who just exited. But all-time favorite? Nothing beats the grandeur of an open tailgate on a C-130 Hercules. No worries about snagging your jumpsuit on exit. That baby is a sight to behold :)

"where danger is appears also that which saves ..." Friedrich Holderlin, 'Patmos'

In the early 80's, when USPA Nationals and the corresponding boogie were held in Muskogee Oklahoma, I got to jump the normally Florida based DC-3, 'Mr. Douglas'... not soon after boarding, they fired up the massive sound system, and me and 40 of my 'new' closest friends got to rock to Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Free Bird'. It was memorable.

There was also that time that Jim McLain bought his 1956 Cessna 190 (or 195) to the DZ... I'd grown up jumping small Cessnas, but had never seen a radial engine taildragger like that one, and it was old, I mean it was a year older than I was! So when he offered to let us jump out of it, despite the low ceiling that day, I had to 'jump' at the chance. Two thousand feet later we're up against the clouds and going no higher, but what the hell, I was 'D' qualified! :D

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

Let's see:

1. Skyvan-fun to jump out of but has Garrett engines and is to damn noisy! It really hurts my ears sometimes.

2. Casa-run to jump out of, in fact the first plane I ever jumped out of, but takes two pilots and has Garrett engines. Slow to altitude with a full load.

3. Porter - no experience with one, but with door on wrong side.....

4. Cessna 182 to damn slow and limited to 4-ways.

5. Mullins King Air - great plane and pilot and extremely fast, but doesn't allow floating exits most of the time. Low overhead clearance, low wing, lots of turbulence.

6. Otter - can be fast, high tail, good climb to altitude with right engines, fairly quiet, economical to operate, can land on tiny, mud soaked runways!

I'd say my overall favorite has to be an Otter, but what do I know....I'm biased!!! ;)

Blue skies,

Jim

Prefer the king air far over the otter. 14 stuffed people is more comfy than 22 stuffed people and it climbs faster. I also like that I can stand up in the doorway, thanks to the curvature.

As slow as the 206U climbs, the view from the side door is great when you're set to be first out. Otter is esp bad on the view.

Pac is too short! I can see the fuel savings.

Tailgate exits are fun and I only get the chance rarely, but seems more blind. How do you check your spot when they want 2s separations due to jump run speed?