NewGuy2005

Buy a Big Plane?

Here's the idea:
Buy a large but not insanely expensive plane such as a Beech 18, make the circuit of regional Cessna drop zones. Make enough money to make the payments and maintenance on the plane and a little extra. Pay off the plane.

Here's the question:
There must be dozens of people out there who have had the same idea. Do any of you have a financial model for determining the workability of such an idea that you can send to me?

I know that it's too big a question to answer on the forum, but I thought someone might have already done the legwork on such an idea.

A lot of issues to work out.

Maintenance on the road.
Parts on the road.
Hotel room every night.
Ferry fees.
Weather issues.
Some Cessna DZ's don't want a larger plane coming in because they make less money than they would just flying their own aircraft.
Cessna DZ's aren't going to have enough jumpers for a big plane during the week. So do you sit around doing nothing paying for a hotel room and rrental car making no money or do you fly home, spending money on fuel and maintenance?
Competetition; There are other aircraft owners that will provide aircraft ot DZ's that have been doing it for along time.

That's just off the top of my head. It would be tough.

Derek

Hehe, well with a CH-46 you might not need to worry about runways, but you'd have to worry about falling out of the sky! There's a reason they're getting retired... :)
BTW, you'd probably be shocked if you looked into maintenance and operating costs for a big helicopter. A single rotor blade will cost more than a small fleet of 182s.

Dave

Youd be better off getting a caravan or PAC750 and setting up a Part135 night freight business. Then, when there are several days between flights you could hop over to the nearest cessna dz and fly some jumpers.

IE,

Based in Columbus Ohio. Have a night freight run from CLM - SLT - SLC. But the freight in SLT doesnt need to be run till 4 days after you get there....find the nearest dz....

a lot easier said than done.

:):)Buy a Big Plane...? [:/]
Too bad that the reality of the current costs to do so seem to outweigh the optimism, enthusiasm, energy and willingness that many individuals and clubs and skydiving schools are prepared to invest , into such an aircraft >:(
... All the more reason to be grateful and supportive of all the places who DO Own Fast climbing comfortable and safe jumpships...
Nowadays I can barely invest/buy jumptickets....;);)B|
BUT if you do get a plane
I'll buy one from you.....B| Good Luck..
(The easy part is "getting the idea" .. making it happen can take much much more...)

Take a look at the economics on something like a
PAC750 xl. It supposedly runs almost as cheap as a Cessna (especially empty on those trips between DZ's). Down side is it's not "BIG"... but it would still be a welcome visitor for jumpers at most Cessna DZ's (also being a new plane there's a little novelty factor to them still).

The DZ themselves might make about as much out of it as they would a Cessna too so there might be less objection to one visiting (I say "might" because I'm going off the advertising blurb).

They're all new with financing available on them and things are presumably less likely to go wrong on them. Of course you will have to go to the back of a queue to get one.

Generally, dropzones that fly small planes do so because that's the plane that makes most economical sense for their operation.

Generally, a dropzone only flying a 182 will not have the customer base to fill a larger plane.

Gemerally, if a dropzone had the customer base to fill a larger plane, they'd buy one.

Exceptions apply.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Buy a large but not insanely expensive plane

This is the first flaw in your plan. Actually, it's also the last flaw in your plan. Pretty much the plan was doomed once your typed those words.

It's like this plan: What if you could caputre bigfoot, and take him on a worldwide publicity tour? The proceeds would pay for the travel, and since you don't have to pay bigfoot (just feed him), you could make yoruself some money.

Here's the idea:
Buy a large but not insanely expensive plane such as a Beech 18, make the circuit of regional Cessna drop zones. Make enough money to make the payments and maintenance on the plane and a little extra. Pay off the plane.

Here's the question:
There must be dozens of people out there who have had the same idea. Do any of you have a financial model for determining the workability of such an idea that you can send to me?

I know that it's too big a question to answer on the forum, but I thought someone might have already done the legwork on such an idea.

If I ever win big big money I would buy an efficently turbine a/c and lease it out to my local little dz to break even or make a little cash. Right now that would be a new PAC750, a converted turbine single otter or maybe even a twin otter.

rm

Here's the idea:

Here's the question:

The best way to make a little bit of money in aviation is to start with a lot. ;)

For Great Deals on Gear

Generally, dropzones that fly small planes do so because that's the plane that makes most economical sense for their operation.

Generally, a dropzone only flying a 182 will not have the customer base to fill a larger plane.

Gemerally, if a dropzone had the customer base to fill a larger plane, they'd buy one.

Exceptions apply.

_Am

Also with some DZs isn't there an issue about runway length... I am not sure what the specifics are but dosen't generally a larger airplane need a longer runway for takeoff and landing.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

That's very aircraft-specific. I'm no general aviation buff but for example, twin Otters are known for their short take off and landing abilities and their ability to take-off and land on unimproved surfaces. Cessna Caravans (the one I've been in) also had an extremely short take off, although that's not really a "big" plane. More like medium sized for the skydiving world.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

There must be dozens of people out there who have had the same idea.

One that comes immediately to mind is Mike Mullins. He has a King Air - not a huge plane, but he has
hot-rodded it out to get to altitude fast. Really fast. He uses it at his own dropzone, and also tours
around other dropzones with it. It was very popular when he brought it to a local 182 DZ one weekend
this spring.

Do any of you have a financial model for determining the workability of such an idea that you can
send to me?

I've pondered basic DZ economics by figuring that a jump ticket is pretty close to the marginal cost of
putting one more jumper up. In other words, the profit margin on an individual jump ticket is small. It's
also probably true that many (most?) DZ's don't plan on having full loads of fun jumpers all the time -
they probably plan on each load having a certain number of tandems or AFF/IAD/SL students that will
make them more money. I haven't gone very far with it because clearly DZs can make money, but I am
semi-curious as to the actual numbers.

A slight twist on it is to have something like an Otter and rent it out to DZs that already have "big"
planes, on days when their "big" plane is down. I saw that happen a couple of weekends ago at a
DZ that has an Otter that was getting new engines put on it - they brought in another Otter to
keep things moving.

Just looking at pictures on the net of what a Beech 18 is, I might suggest you get something a tad
newer. What you want is the airplane equivalent of a Honda Accord or a Buick Regal or a Ford Crown
Vic. Something that they made thousands of, that every A&P guy knows how to work on, and that
has relatively cheap and plentiful parts. A 182 is probably a good example of this for a "small" plane.
Even with all that, if there are some common things that break on the plane you pick and they aren't
too heavy or huge, you might take spares with you, or maybe keep them at home with someone who
can FedEx them to you as needed. This way, when it breaks, all you have to do is hand the spare part
to a local A&P guy and have him change it out.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.