Hawkins121

winter skydiving as a student

I am at AFF level 3 and have visited the drop zone several times but was unable to jump because of the weather each time.... Should I just give up and wait till next season? It is frustrating driving almost 3 hours just to sit around. I am considering going to skydive arizona to just knock out my A license and be done with the "Student" status.. Did anyone else have this problem when they were coming up in the sport?

Also, Any tips for when I actually get to jump in the winter? Does a ski mask make it more comfortable? What do you guys usually wear? I know these are stupid questions so save the flames please lol.

dont worry im in the same boat. so they can flame us both :D i got gloves on the way, but wondering about my face. unfortinately(sp?) i lack the funds to travel to AZ to finish the last 3 levels of AFF. so im just going to deal with it. i dont mind the wait. done that many times already. just makes for more packing practice for me. ;)

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

Perfectly reasonable questions - not at all flameworthy. A search of the forums on "winter clothes" or "cold weather clothes" should get you some good ideas, but basically you need to dress warm enough to stay comfortable in the air, but not affect your vision and the ability to reach, see, and access your handles. Balaklavas (full face masks) can work, just be sure that they allow you adequate peripheral vision. Layering is a good option as you can add warmth without necessarily adding a huge amount of bulk. I have a turtleneck I wear that zips up and down so that I can keep it unzipped on the ground and zip it up when I get closer to altitude (helps me from getting overheated). Fleece pullovers, neck gaiters, fleece or knit hats under your helmet - all can help to keep your core body temperature warm, which will help a lot with your hands, which can often be the most difficult to keep warm without adding too much bulk.

The key with gloves is - can you comfortable find all your handles without fumbling? People use football receivers gloves, ice climbing gloves, scuba gloves, motorcycle gloves - there's lots of possibilities, it's a matter of finding what works for your hands. Silk glove liners can often help add warmth without bulk.

As for getting through the winter, yes, it can be very frustrating. I went through most of my training in the winter months, which meant a lot of time waiting around for weather that didn't clear. It can also be very benficial time if you use it to chat with your instructors, get extra briefings on gear and aircraft, and ask all the questions you don't have time to ask during the pre-jump briefings. I've learned an awful lot during weather holds. But if winter weather is going to make it tough for you to maintain currency, you might be more successful knocking out your jumps at a warm-weather location.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

If you have the $$$$$$ a trip to Skydive Arizona sounds like the plan. Even with the A you'll have to make some winter jumps to stay current till next spring. Or more vacations to AZ will do the trick. Skyventure Arizona is right there if you want to do some "indoor skydiving". I'm only about an hour away so I'm sure I suffer from the "DZ I jump at is the best" syndrome, but I'm sure many would agree.:P
James

I am at AFF level 3 and have visited the drop zone several times but was unable to jump because of the weather each time.... Should I just give up and wait till next season? It is frustrating driving almost 3 hours just to sit around. I am considering going to skydive arizona to just knock out my A license and be done with the "Student" status.. Did anyone else have this problem when they were coming up in the sport?

Also, Any tips for when I actually get to jump in the winter? Does a ski mask make it more comfortable? What do you guys usually wear? I know these are stupid questions so save the flames please lol.

Try checking on www.accuweather.com less than 48 hours before the jump. It says what the weather will be and wind speed and wind gusts. For my dropzone, I check it and since it has an 18mph limit for students. if the gusts are anything above 18 than they will not be jumping.

The key with gloves is - can you comfortable find all your handles without fumbling?

After watching the licensed people bundling up this weekend, I'm thinking about getting my own gloves.
(I didn't get to jump due to wind and clouds.) The DZ provides loaner gloves for students, but I am
wondering if it will help to get a pair of my own so I can wear them occasionally before I go to the DZ -
like when driving, or when carrying boxes around at work, or whatever, so I get used to the "feel"?
Or will that tend to be confusing? I know it's hard to say what will work for somebody else, but I
am wondering if there is a general consensus on this.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Also, Any tips for when I actually get to jump in the winter? Does a ski mask make it more comfortable? What do you guys usually wear?

I wouldn't go with a sky mask if I where you. It seems like a good idea, but if it shifts around on you, you'll be blind till you get it off, or twist it around.

remember, your face will only be cold for about a minute, you'll be fine. Definitely use gloves if your instructors will let you. Ask around at the DZ and see what kind of gloves work best, or search the forums for gloves.

If you are getting cold up there, perhaps wear a wool hat under your helmet... ask your instructors if you can.

MB 3528, RB 1182

Keep your mouth shut and breath through your nose, felt like i swallowed razor blades. lots of thin layers that wont restrict you and a quality pair of gloves. I didnt actually realise how cold my hands were and i was using my front risers to penetrate into the wind, got to about 500ft and found it really hard to get my hands back on my steering toggles because they were so numb, pretty dumb move but im glad i done it nice and high.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

using my front risers to penetrate into the wind, got to about 500ft and found it really hard to get my hands back on my steering toggles

There should be no need to take your hands out of the steering toggles just to use your risers. Doing so can be very dangerous – you can end up fumbling for the toggle when you should be flying your canopy. This can lead to a collision with another jumper or the ground. The only time I'd take my hands out of my toggles is if I was about to cutaway. Give it a shot next time you jump.

The key with gloves is - can you comfortable find all your handles without fumbling?

After watching the licensed people bundling up this weekend, I'm thinking about getting my own gloves.
(I didn't get to jump due to wind and clouds.) The DZ provides loaner gloves for students, but I am
wondering if it will help to get a pair of my own so I can wear them occasionally before I go to the DZ -
like when driving, or when carrying boxes around at work, or whatever, so I get used to the "feel"?
Or will that tend to be confusing? I know it's hard to say what will work for somebody else, but I
am wondering if there is a general consensus on this.

Eule

You may be overthinking it a bit. Find a pair of gloves, put a rig on, do some practice pulls or touches with them on, if you can easily reach/touch/find everything, you're good to go. Of course, check with your instructors as well, but I imagine they'll tell you the same thing.

If the gloves that your DZ provides are keeping your hands adequately warm, keep using those if you want. I got my own (actually I used a pair of leather motorcycle gloves I already had) because the ones the DZ had were crap.

I did 1 tandem and 4 AFF jumps in 4 months foe the same reason and quit for 1.5 yrs. Then returned after finding that my jm commited suicide.[:/] Wish I would have stuck it out. Never seen weather and jm problems like that yr since.
Haven't missed a jumpable weekend since except on vacation.

I am at AFF level 3 and have visited the drop zone several times but was unable to jump because of the weather each time.... Should I just give up and wait till next season? It is frustrating driving almost 3 hours just to sit around......Did anyone else have this problem when they were coming up in the sport?

Your kidding right? :S I spent month after month sitting at the DZ at least one day a weekend trying to get my license. One of my instructors told me I had a “D” license in hanger time before I had an “A” license in skydiving. One thing you learn in this sport is patience with the weather.

Honestly, the people that get licenses are the ones that are persistent, not ones that are naturally talented. If a few days of bad weather are enough to frustrate you than you’re in for a long hard road trying to become a skydiver.

That said if you can get out of AZ do it! They advertise 360 sunny days a year!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I check it and since it has an 18mph limit for students

Wow, I don't think I would jump at 18 mph winds.

As for the weather, I finished my 3 tandems in october but didn't get to start AFF until the end of Jan. due to weather, and I tried really hard to jump. I've been to every DZ around me, pretty much every weekend but no lovin. That's just how it is.

Since I started in the Jan, most of my AFF landings were in a snow covered grounds. The ski mask balak... --ninja mask-- worked fine for me and didn't really move with goggles on, but I probably will not use it with my Gatorz. For hands I used latex (surgical) gloves under your regular gloves. If you decide to do this, you MUST wait until just before exit to put on the latex gloves, or your hands will sweat and then freeze on the way down.
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

You may be overthinking it a bit.

Story of my life. :)

If the gloves that your DZ provides are keeping your hands adequately warm, keep using those if
you want. I got my own (actually I used a pair of leather motorcycle gloves I already had) because the
ones the DZ had were crap.

I don't know how good the DZ's gloves are as I haven't jumped with them yet. Mainly I was thinking
about my experience with goggles. I use over-the-glasses goggles; the DZ had one really good pair
and a couple of beat-up pairs. Usually I was the only one there that needed them, but one day a
bunch of four-eyes showed up. I grabbed the good pair and they were all sweaty and funky; I then
resolved to buy my own goggles.

Thanks!

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.