arai

getting jump number up. how often do you jump?

I'm just wondering how people get there jump numbers up quickly? I'm getting back into skydiving after a few years due to breaks and taking up other adrenaline sports and am coming back with a goal, get high enough numbers for a wingsuit. I know they recomend 200 jumps within an 18 month period. for safety sake I'll up that number to 300 jumps in 18 months. Thats just over 16 jumps per month for 18 months solid.

If I dont have my own gear and rent, the local dz is about 63 per jump. thats a grand per month.

if I do have my own gear then its about half that, or $500 a month. (after a couple grand on gear spent)

The question I ask is how do you guys/girls find the time to get this many jumps in? I make decent money so I can afford this pace, but its the time thats hard. In order to make decent money I get stuck at work 9-5 monday to friday, with overtime being a common thing in my industry.

How many jumps per day do you do when you end up at the DZ?

its likely I'll need more than 16 jumps per month as well as in the winter there is not much jumping around here. In the summer I can see the possibility of jumping after work as it doesnt get dark till 9:30 at night, but as the winter comes around it gets dark at 5

I'm trying to plan this out to make it financially viable, and also time possible with my current work

thanks

If you can afford to make 200 jumps in 18 months, you can afford to buy your own gear. Check the listings in the magazines for good used gear, or buy something new if you have a solid idea of what you want.

There's nothing wrong with making a lot of jumps. I'd do it too, if I could. But don't think you must commit to this sport full-time in order to be a skydiver. Even if you can only make a few dozen jumps a year, you can do it safely and have a great time. Your learning curve won't be as dramatic as that of your peers, but you'll get there. Best of luck! Wish I could join you. :|

Cheers,
Jon S.

I'm just wondering how people get there jump numbers up quickly?

It's not the jump numbers, it's the experience and widsom. :)
However, they're a milestone to reach, like "Do 200 jumps and win the wingsuit prize!"

I am just a 1-pie wonder and I'm still the skydiving equivalent a first-year freshman.

But either way, I jumped an average of 25 times per month in the summer and broke 100 jumps in a 4 month period.

I did that by visiting the dropzone two times a month and camping out there the full weekend. Travel Friday, return Sunday. That gives me 2 full days of jumping and occasionally a Friday evening too. I can jump up to 9 times in one day if others pack, and I can jump up to 7 times in one day if I pack. The most I have jumped in one weekend is 18 times for a 3-day holiday boogie weekend. Go to a dropzone that has multiple jump planes or has enough traffic to keep flying back-to-back, so you're not waiting too long on the manifest.

To maximize jumps-per-day, going to a turbine dropzone helps. But in the middle of summer at Skydive Gananoque, I frequently do 6 or 7 jumps in one day with just Cessnas; there are 3 Cessnas, they often fly back-to-back on busy weekends. I know people who have actually done 11 or 12 jumps in one day there, because they are faster packers than I am. I noticed I can get more jumps in one day at a busy multi-Cessna dropzone than a low-traffic Twin Otter dropzone where the plane is struggling to be filled up.

If you want to jump 20-25 times per month, be prepared to commit 4 days per month (2 weekends per month) to skydiving.

Some people jump more than 10 times in one day but you need fast packing skills at a busy dropzone, or pay others for packing. And a fast climbing jump plane that's flying back-to-back. The bare minimum is 2 excellent-weather days per month if you jump like hell, such as with a 4-way team and jump tons per day. But ignore the weather and go to the dropzone for the full weekend anyway regardless of weather forecast. Although if I am going only 1 weekend day of the full weekend, I know I'll try to go on the specific day of the better weather forecast. Financially, it's easier to camp at the dropzone so less money is spent on transportation to dropzone and more money on jumping.

Definitely attend all of your local dropzones' boogies if you can, and meet as many people as you can, so that some of them jump with you. The more experienced you get (Although the question is usually "how many jumps do you have?"), the more likely they'll jump with you.

If budget is a problem, ask your dropzone if you can learn to become a packer. You can pay for all your jumping that way, just make sure your dropzone has the flexibility to give you a break from packing to do some jumping. (May not jump as much, say, only 15 times in 4 days, but at least many of them would be free jumps!).

Talk to your instructors on how to raise your experience levels as cheaply as possible. As you pass your A license, try to become part of some group you're interested in (novice RW team, load organizer, etc) They'll have ideas.

Any given weekend is a 10-15 jump weekend. Put 2-3 of those together and its a 30-40 jump month plus the occasional weekday after work jumps. Good months in the summer its 50 jump months if I'll jump every weekend. Winter I hardly jump so I just save the $ an put that towards summer jumping.

Its a time intensive sport if you want to rack up jumps fast, you can kiss your weekends goodbye basically.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Its a time intensive sport if you want to rack up jumps fast, you can kiss your weekends goodbye basically.

A compromise is kissing just half of the weekends goodbye -- that's what I did during the summer. May only get 20 to 30 per month that way, but that's still enough to legally get into a wingsuit. Safely too, I'd hope - talk to instructors on skills that you should concentrate on as well.

Go to the WFFC next year, you can get a lot of jumps in during that. If you have a lot more money than time, you can also buy 2 rigs and use packers. That will let you do back to back loads on the weekends you do jump and get more jumping in for your time.

Go to the WFFC next year, you can get a lot of jumps in during that. If you have a lot more money than time, you can also buy 2 rigs and use packers.

I didn't think of that -- that's true. I know someone who jumped 20 times in one day by doing that.

Never say never. The world record is 534 jumps in 24 hours, I think, but that was a couple of dedicated planes I think, a lot of rigs, and a big team of packers, and low-altitude hop-n-pops. I think it was swoop to near start of runway, jettison rig, grab rig, jump into plane waiting to take off.

[Edit: Fixed the exact jump number - 534]

heh yeah, somehow going from beginner skydiver to birdsuit jump # qualified in one day doesnt seem that good an idea, even if its possible ;) but yeah I'm just trying to set goals and make sure I'm capable of meeting them. I've already had a good browse through the wingsuit forums and know what skills the experienced flyers reccomend practicing before getting into a wingsuit, so I've got skills on my list to practice for the first 200 jumps.

heh yeah, somehow going from beginner skydiver to birdsuit jump # qualified in one day doesnt seem that good an idea, even if its possible ;) but yeah I'm just trying to set goals and make sure I'm capable of meeting them. I've already had a good browse through the wingsuit forums and know what skills the experienced flyers reccomend practicing before getting into a wingsuit, so I've got skills on my list to practice for the first 200 jumps.

I think it's good to set goals and priorities, and as you've seen in previous responses, if getting your jump numbers up is the key critieria, you'll have to prioritize your free time so that it's spent at the DZ, especially when there's better weather/longer days.

It's very possible to rack up those kind of numbers, especially at boogies, but like everything else, there's tradeoffs. If it's what you want to accomplish, you'll do it; just means no making plans for anything other than skydiving on your days off if there's any possibility of jumpable weather.

Just don't get so goal-oriented that you forget to be safe and have fun. Don't be so number-focused that you are afraid to say "I'm done" on a day when you're tired, hot, crabby, distracted, unfocused, unmotivated, whatever. When I'm in the right mindset, several jumps a day excites me and energizes me. Other days, after one or two jumps, I decide for whatever reason I've had enough, my heart/mind aren't in it for that day, and walk away, no regrets.

For me, at least, not being in the right mindset to jump means I also don't feel as safe. It's a good time to step away.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

If you are giving a link to the most jumps website, at least quote the numbers correctly. It was 534 jumps. Also, the support for everything required many people, and there were more people helping him switch rigs than there were packing.

Fixed. Thanks. Yes, that's very true. I'm just illustrating my point that there's nothing that a rich person can't do -- if you have the money, you can dramatically increase your jumps-per-day. ;)

Realistically (once you're really experienced), I think the upper limit is 20 jumps per day at a really busy dropzone if you own multiple rigs and a dedicated packer. Otherwise, you're too dead tired.

7 jumps per day is plenty enough if I am packing.

Okay, maybe with a Mike Mullin's King Air and 90 seconds to Hop-n-pop altitude, if it was doing back-to-back loads. You'd be struggling to beat the plane to the ground, though, if you decided to go all the way to freefall altitude. :D

What I am saying is different people tire at different rates. There are many turbine DZs where it is easily possible to do 3 jumps an hour, with one plane, and time to eat/pee when the plane fuels.

I've got 239 in about 16 months. Mostly one day a week, weathered out a few and gone 2 days a week a few. I did squeeze in a lot of jumps at the DZ.com holiday boogie. You can do it without devoting all your free time to it. A DZ turning lots of loads will help and also a DZ with good year round weather. If you want it can be done and won't end the rest of your life. It may make the rest of your life seem boring.
James

That's true. I haven't been to many dropzones yet. I'm just trying to have a sense of humor here too - see my smiley.

Anyway, when I started jumping in May, I was trying to see if it was possible to reach the "100-jump-and-a-B-license" goal for an October skydiving event called DWR 2005 (Deaf skydiving event). Without having to go every weekend. I did not want to go every weekend. But I pulled it off at a mostly non-turbine dropzone going only every two weekends. Setting goals has been an inspiration for me to keep skydiving through the year.

Anyway, I apologize for getting this thread too far off track. I am not a wingsuiter but I am talking from fellow NEWBIE to fellow NEWBIE about fresh memories on early experiences on starting to jump frequently. Hopefully my advice is relevant, although I also advise the original poster to talk to their instructors about jumping time-management stuff and relevant experience needed. :)

Local dropzone selection has a huge impact on how much I jump more than anything. Some places you'll spend all day there just to make 3-4 jumps. Other places, I can do 5 without breaking a sweat before lunchtime. Consequently, I will do a bunch of jumps in a short time and then there will be a short pause where I only make a half-dozen or so in a weekend.

I'm not an instructor or coach, don't do professional camera flying or any other "paying" jumps so I am just limited to "fun" jumps and occasionaly blocks of "training" jumps with "freefly teammate" when he's not busy being a professional skygod and tunnel-fluffer. :D
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

If money is no object and if you are near a larger DZ, then 200-300 jumps should be completely doable in 18 months without having to live at the DZ. It sure would make it easier if you could make whole weekends (Fri night, Sat and Sun) of your DZ trips.

The thing you should consider however, is that, if you just go to DZ, jump non-stop and leave just to do it again the next day. You may end up being a skydiver with a high jump number but not much experience.
In my opinion, there is more to gaining skydiving experience than just getting to alti and exiting. Spending time at the DZ, talking to people, being exposed to different weather conditions, different fliers, different incidents([:/]) will make you an overall better/more experienced skydiver even if your numbers aren't as high.
I would listen much more intently at a skydiver that had 500 jumps in 1 to 2 years, than on one that had 500 jumps in 6 months.
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

oh yeah I totally agree, theres a lot to learn on the ground that you might miss if you were just trying to get up to altitiude. I dont intend to just try my best to jump to the exclusion of learning or experience, or to sacrifice the fun or intent of skydiving just to hit a number in a book.

I'm just looking at what I want to do, and figure out how I might go about that. Getting info from people that jump just help me get a feel for if my goals are within reason and something that with some effort I can attain.

thanks for the replies so far

money is an object, I'm not rich or anything, I'm just saying I can afford to by a decent (used for my first one) rig and go 10-20 times a month.

I'm in vancouver, canada. SO the winters usually suck (not too bad for cold, but a lot of rain and cloud.) I'm still waiting to get ahold of the drop zones to get an idea of how many jumps a day are likely with their loads/equipment. I've already talked to them about fees and courses but every few hours seem to have another question or two.

anyway, cant wait to get started again. Its been a few years since I've jumped but I definitly remember the feeling (how could you ever forget it ;) )

If wingsuit flying is your goal consider developing a program in conjunction with an wingsuit instructor. What dive profiles, what learning path etc. Get the most out of your time in the air.

I jumpstarted back into skydiving and really got goin in May this year. I'll hit 200 next week. More importantly I'll be at 3.5 hours of freefall. Add to that 5 hours of tunnel time. I try to do one fun jump with no particular agenda each day I jump. Everything else is focused on a plan to get where I'm headed.

I'm not physically comfortable with more than 6-7 jumps a day (read "mature gentleman") so I can usually make the max if it is a good day. If I wanted to boost air time, I'd get a second rig. What slows me down is the time it takes to get the canopy in the bag even when using a packer.

One last thought. Canada + winter = :(
A weeks vacation at a Florida DZ (shameless promotion) would go a long way to getting you there. We have it all, warm weather, fast planes (though it's not the speed of the plane, it's the turn time) and proximity to Good pro shops and manufacturers.

Good luck/get-er-done then let's flock.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

I'm in vancouver, canada. SO the winters usually suck

Then weather is less than ideal here in the winters. But I did make four jumps at a Vancouver area DZ today (my first jumps in a month ... yes because of our recent wet weather) and that's four more jumps than I would have made in any other Canadian city. At least we can jump. And to answer your question, we jump as much as we afford to and as much as Mother Nature will let us jump. Dang this is an expensive sport and as addictive as hard core drugs.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Wow. A Canadian from Vancouver complaining about winter weather.

It's like living in Aruba compared to the rest of Canada in the winter ;)

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson