speedylisa

breathing troubles...?

Ive only got 2 jumps under me but I enjoyed them so much Im going to get my license this summer.
when I was falling I was having a little difficulty breathing. Is there anything I can do about this...?
should I look into getting a helmet with a face shield for training?
I just dont want to freak out in the air because I cant breath.

any thoughts?

The reason you can't breathe is that you think you can't breathe. It's a psychological effect, I know, I've done it. What is important is to relax... you don't think about breathing most of the time (on the ground), it just happens. Trust your body to get the air it needs in freefall. And relax.

You can try riding a motorcycle on cold nights with your visor open a bit. The cold air jammed in my face at first stalled my breathing; I realized it was the same as on a bike, so I trained for it a bit that way.

Or you can just jump more. That's the easy way.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

You have breathed in and you need to breathe out!
You are basiccaly holding your breathe and when you try breathe in there is no more space in your lungs.

We find it with tandem passengers.

So in the plane on the way to altitude do some breathing in and out, in through your nose and out through your mouth.
If anything, try scream in freefall, or laugh, or smile.

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

It's got absolutely nothing to do with the use or otherwise of a full-face. It's a simple physiological issue: if your lungs are full of air and you've tensed up, you're not going to be able to breathe. Solution: breathe out, using one of Bev's suggestions.

I would avoid a full face at your number of jumps, stick with the open face for now and as everyone else has said, learn to breath out, and of course back in again following that, and repeat.

Screaming works :)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Hey Lisa

Its me again (remeber the guy whos tandem main blew up!) I had the exact same problem when I did my tandem and again when I did my first ten second delay. What was causing my shortness of breath was being tense. I have now moved on to higher altitudes (up to 13600) and have had no problems. Relaxing is the key!!!!!

Blue Skies

Kevin

Blue Skies and Stand-up Landings!!!!!!

There are several reasons you might have trouble.

One is the mammalian diving reflex. When cold water (or cold air) hits our face, we tend to stop breathing; this helps prevent drowning. The same thing can happen in the air if it's cold out (or if you're just not used to it.)

Second is psychological. It seems really scary, and some people hold their breath when they are scared. Just getting used to it will help with this.

Third is due to keeping your mouth open. It's a little harder (but not at all impossible) to breathe out when your mouth is open. Solution: close your mouth and breathe through your nose.

When I first started to jump, I would hold my breath for the first part of the freefall. My instructor told me to use cues to help get me to breath more. During each move requirded by the jump, he had me breath i.e. Heading, breath, Altimiter, breath, etc, etc. This did two things, it gave me a cue to take a breath and slowed things down.

It's all new to you. This will become second nature after a while. Have fun and be safe.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

yeah I noticed from my frist jump to my second jump that I could breathe easier. The first jump my mouth was open and I was laughing the entire way down (except I couldnt really inhale or exhale very easily) because I loved it so much.
the second jump I closed my mouth and breathed through my nose.

I wasnt scared but just REALLY excited to do it again.

last time my instructor kept pulling my head back.
Why do they do that? I did notice it made the wind go up my nose so I could breathe better. Is that why?