dustin19d

Please double check youre chest strap!!

Why are so many people hooking them up wrong? Is it a training problem or a checklist problem, or are people just looping them thru for convenience, thinking they'll "fix it later" before they jump? That last one is especially dangerous.

I'm wondering this too.. and what is it about the chest strap? is it b/c you undo it each jump, and you dont with the legs?

-Seth :)

Ok, so there is no official verdict on this yet but, apart from suicide, it seems a likely eample of what this thread is about (open chest strap or legstraps). Hop and pop at 2.5k, as I read it, and jumper "appeared to become detached from parachute equipment".
I didn't post in the incidents forum because that is not the place for speculation (plus is frequented by the media). But if this what caused the incident, then it removes the comfort factor of an open chest strap on a sub-terminal opening. Make sure of those gear checks.
Edited: to emphasize link

so there is no official verdict on this yet but

I dont trust most of the media to get things straight, especially at the early stages. For all we know, they are talking about not finding the main after a cutaway.
Remster

No, Jumper actually went in (also confirmed in Strathallen thread in General Skydiving Discussions). Not sure about the hop-and-pop bit, could be a full dive but it would be the first time the media has got the "Skydiver falls to death from 2,500 ft" bit correct. Not even sure about the chest-strap connection, that just seems the most likely explanation apart from suicide (that's happened before).

I'm right there w/ ya Dustin!! Luckly I have an older rig w/ the chest strap that doubles back. I always make sure teh elastic is behind the double back & I thougth I always made sure it was routed correctly.

Normally I hook my helmet onto my chest strap, a few times it slid loose indicating I hadn't routed it correctly. Visiting a dz, they made me put my helmet on my head for take off. After a great jump, I had a funny opening & a weird falling forward sensation. After opening, I realized the only thing that kept that strap looped was the elastic round the double back.

I told my b/f & regular jump partner. Now he always YANKS on my chest strap bout 3 times before getting on the plane. I also am pulling on it compulsively.

That was some SCARY SHIT!! I don't know why I didn't check that strap as often as the other points, but I sure do now. More than once I've been asked why I'm staring @ people's boobs - I swear it's for their safty.:)

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

More than once I've been asked why I'm staring @ people's boobs - I swear it's for their safety

Can I use that line?

Girl: "Asshole! Stop staring at my chest!"

Me: "Oh, sorry, it's for your own safety."

Might lead to some good skydiving discussions... :ph34r:
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

2-3 weeks ago, on the way to altitude (say at 7 or 8K), i do my usual auto check, then have a look around in the porter. I spot one miss routed chest strap, the guy has been in sport for a year, done 80ish jumps and apparently did not get ckecked before boarding.
I show him his strap, he does not get the point. I point my finger at it again, no reaction. I'm pretty pissed off, I pull the strap, it comes off and say 'you're dead'.
Back on ground, I've never seen someone so gratefull...
(and yes he was very happy to buy some beer ;)

Can I use that line?

uh, sure.... I have very small so I'm sure people are only checkin my gear, feel free to look @ all the nice boobies chest straps.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Just wanted to chime in and bump this thread:

Yesterday I noticed a friend of mine with an incorrectly threaded cheststrap, after he had a gearcheck/flightlinecheck from an instructor...:S

He probably would have been OK on the hop-n-pop he was doing, but it really scared me (and my friend) anyway.

I discreetly informed the instructor who did the gearcheck of what he missed and am positive he will pay more attention to checking cheststraps in the future!
Rainman

The golden rule in skydiving is that you are your own safety officer......never rely on anyone else...ever...so know the checks, have a routine, and stick to it.......

If you can't look after yourself properly, don't expect others to do so.....even instructors are human and can make mistakes.....

Once out the door you're on your own.....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

If you can't look after yourself properly, don't expect others to do so.....even instructors are human and can make mistakes.....

Once out the door you're on your own.....

I couldn't agree more! I would really kick myself if anyone found (or missed!) something wrong with my equipment after I checked it myself.

I hope my post didn't come across as though I am in any way blaming that particular instructor. After all, my friend's the big doofus in this story! :S
Rainman

I did the same thing as a student. First load of the day I misrouted my chest strap (sub-20 jumps) in the same fashion. I cleared several gear checks. Then, as I was on my knees in the door ready to exit, my friend jr looked down and said "you might want to fix that." Thanks, jr!

Check yourself and check your buddies!