trab1925

Officail: I am the biggest whuffo!

Well the tittle describes it all. I am a whuffo, completly and the biggest you will ever meet. Almost....

I've been reading abotu sky diving a lot lately like the past month or two. I am 15 currently, well I will be 16. For those of you that sky dive and are under 18-19 how did you get into it? I'm looking for a job right now and I was wondering if there was any possible way I could buy my own gear and then jsut get lessons if my parents sign something. Would that be very possible? I only know of two DZs here.(Nebraska) I'm in Lincoln and I noticed neither of them are AFF. So would that pretty much be impossible for me untill I'm 18 or not? I am starting my private license lessons within the next summer and I've flown in A LOT of air planes so I'm not completly new to the whol high altitude part.

I know I will be MAJORLY flamed here but I was just seeing if there was any one here that would be willing to actually try to help me out? Feel free to flame me I deserve it for posting this.:P
panicked did a 180 and nosed it down into a road and hit a car.Hit a car how many planes with skydivers have a car accident? Only here.
-recovercrachead

Use the search posts link above; there have been a couple of threads on this in the past.

Short version: In many states neither a minor nor their parents can sign away their right to sue, so people won't take the risk of training you until you're 18. There are, however, some exceptions to this; your searching should turn up some promising leads.

There is no reason to flame you. Its perfectly legal for anyone at ANY age to jump out of an airplane with an FAA approved dual parachute single harness system. Now...if you are at USPA dropzone, you must be 16 to jump and most places won't let you until you are 18 for insurance/liability purposes...you can't sign a legal document(waiver) until you are 18. I personally started at 16 and I was at a USPA dropzone. Its hard to find a USPA dropzone taht will let you though. You are unable to be taken on a tandem at your age reguardless of the dropzone and your only option is to go to a non-USPA dropzone who does static line, IAD, or AFF-like progressions. I have lots of friends who started under 18, in fact I know a few who started in their early teens, and one was like 11.

Dont worry about flaming, you're totally legit in asking this question. Now, in all honesty, I feel as though 18 is a much safer age to start jumping. I started when I was 16 and I'm suprised i survived my teenage cockyness in the sport. Hell, i'm only 21 now and that is definetly an age where arrogance can reign. Anyway. Keep looking, the opportunity is out there...if not, then learn all you can, hang out at the dropzone, read these forums, and then when you turn 18 you will have a better stance for starting training.

Find a dropzone that will let you learn to pack for them or freelance packing. Its great money, especially for high school, thats how I started skydiving was packing. Anyway. i'm blabbering. Peace,

Cheers,
Travis

Sorry Bob I didn't think there would be much about it just cause I didn't know there's many peopel my age that wanted to jump out of a plane...

But no Travis don't worry you aren't blabbering I love to read about it. I will be 16 this year so I could drive out to the lincoln club any time I wanted but what should I do just go out there and talk to them abour random stuff like packing.

The other thing about Nebraska is that 19 is a legal adult here jsut cause you can't get loans or anything untill that age. [:/] But am going to be starting my pilot lisence this year so I will be able to go places such as Iowa to learn. Or just drive? Flying's way more fun though. haha

So if I was 16 at some places I could have a parent sign a waiver to for the static line or not? I've been planning on learning in Iowa jsut because of the queers in Nebraska making the legal dult age...>:( No offence if any one here works for the Nebraska legislature or anything.

So how legal is that for me to be packing the parachutes/how good is the pay?

Oh yeah the other question I had was what are the steps to static line learning? I've searched A LOT about skydiving and waht not but I've never seen any steps of static lines. Is that just for the experience or can you eventually get your licence by doing that? I know you get dropped out at about 4000 feet and you have the line attached in the plane so the parachute comes out automaticly after you exit. But how do you progress from there?
panicked did a 180 and nosed it down into a road and hit a car.Hit a car how many planes with skydivers have a car accident? Only here.
-recovercrachead

it's not quite the same, but it looks like the wind tunnel in Denver will be opening rather soon. The info as of Feb 3rd says they've begun test flights. You don't even need to be 16 to log time there, and it definitely will help you when you can find a way to get in the air.

otherwise, find the other threads and see if you can travel further. Might also check with the NE dropzones to see if you would be allowed to jump if you did managed to get an A license elsewhere.

Well then I gues I'm not a whuffo..

I'm just an extrem noob... haha

Hopeufly not for 2 more years!:o

Yeah my parents have a condo in boulder we go all over CO or at least to like Fort Collins and Pueblo and Denver and what not. Hopeuflly I'll get some chance to start soon; ish.

I'll probably go up to the Lincoln DZ once I get a car.
-recovercrachead

Oh yeah the other question I had was what are the steps to static line learning? I've searched A LOT about skydiving and waht not but I've never seen any steps of static lines. Is that just for the experience or can you eventually get your licence by doing that? I know you get dropped out at about 4000 feet and you have the line attached in the plane so the parachute comes out automaticly after you exit. But how do you progress from there?

Static line progression will get you to an A license... it's a gradual progression after you do some static line jumps. Most progressions do five static line jumps, where you work on exiting in a good, stable position, then you can focus on canopy skills all the way down. After that you will start deploying your own parachute, starting usually with five-second delays, progressing to longer and longer delays until you're in a full freefall.

Here's a link to the DZ where I did static line training that describes each of the jumps in their progression. I believe that most progams will be similar, though perhaps not exact. If you're interested in contrasting it with other training methods, do a search here for "static line vs. AFF" and you'll find plenty of posts and opinions.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Go to the USPA web site and order a copy of the SIM (skydivers information manual) It will give you all the details of AFF and static line progression. Yes you can get your liecense from static line, most people do.

There are several people from LSPC that are on here so maybe some one from there will see this and help you out.

I was wondering if there was any possible way I could buy my own gear and then jsut get lessons if my parents sign something. Would that be very possible?

Don't buy a rig until after you're off student status. The gear you'll use as a student is significantly different than the gear you'll want once you're licensed.

I only know of two DZs here.(Nebraska) I'm in Lincoln and I noticed neither of them are AFF.

It's cheaper to do static line progression student jumps than AFF student jumps - that means less hours of working for each skydive. Being able to jump more often is a good thing, especially when you're trying to do it on a limited budget.

Have you talked to your parents about skydiving? Have you talked to them about the possibility of you skydiving before you turn 18? If you have, what do they think? If you haven't talked to them about it, do so before making any plans or even getting your hopes up too high.

If there'd been a dropzone close by that would have let my son jump at 16, I'd have signed for him no problem - BUT - he'd been around skydiving for 10 years at that point, knew a few people who'd died doing it and knew a few more that had been injured.

Don't give up on jumping if your parents say no and DO NOT go do it behind their back. Skydiving will still be here when you turn 18... and you may even have more money to do it with then too.

Yeah I've been talking to my dad about it quit a bit. He understands how safe it is now days and what not. About all of the males on my dads side of the family has been in the airforce including my cousins and others. My dad was a medic in the air force never went to war or aynthing while he served but he still understands how safe it is now days. I've talked to my mom some about it. I don't really know how she would take it if I told her I was gonna jump out of a plane at later this year or next season.

haha I know she would probably let me after my dad and I explain to her how static line works and everything else. No I don't know how I would sky dive behind my parents back unless I stole a rig and then jumped out of a cessna after I get my private licence other than that I think I'm gonna have to wait at least a year. Untill then I will be saving up.

I will most likely have a job by the end of the month some where and like some one else said pack parachutes for my local club and get paid. I might be able to do that but I've heard the lincoln club is strict so who knows. I'd have to visit them and talk to them about my options. I will by the end of the season.

I don't really get what's the difference between the "student rigs" and the ones that I would want after I get a licence. I don't mean like what do they do differntly but how are the student ones designed for a specific slow flying or something?

I told my dad about how I might be able to start static line. He didn't reeally seam to have a problem with that at all. I did show my mom the wind tunnel that I hear is open in colorado soon right? Where is it cause I will probably try it next time I go up to CO within the next few months if they are open then. My mom didn't have a problem with the tunnel either so I'll eventually ease her into accepting it.

THANKS DZ.com!!
-recovercrachead

The thing about skydiving and safety....

is that it's not as safe as skydivers claim. And not as dangerous as the media presents it.

It's important not to have any illusions to the very real dangers in the sport. People get hurt and die skydiving each year and if you're in the sport long enough, chances are you're going to witness both things. They may happen to you.

Having said that, there are great rewards in the sport. It's just best to have a good understanding of the risks involved - and that goes beyound "yeah sometimes it's dangerous ".

If you start prior to age 18, be sure to be honest with your parents about the dangers and about the fact that you jump. They still are legally responisble for you and all that. If you were to go in and you're under 18, they'll be blaming themselves "we could have stopped it!" and stuff. If you're over 19, at least they have the (very small) consolation of not having had the power to say "no".

I don't really get what's the difference between the "student rigs" and the ones that I would want after I get a licence. I don't mean like what do they do differntly but how are the student ones designed for a specific slow flying or something?

Student rigs are deliberately oversized and are lightly wing loaded. This is done to make it more difficult for student to kill themselves. The canopy is more docile and easier for a student to handle. (This is the very short version of why)

Here's what you need to do (IMHO): Put together a good sized pile of money (or a very large credit card). About $6000 should do. ($2500 for lessons, $3500 for your first set of gear) Next, get as much tunnel time as possible. This will make your lesson jumps much easier and with the basics of flying down, you can devote more time to learning the canopy. Then take yourself down to the DZ and jump. jump, jump. Stay current, as student jump skills build on the previous jump. Once you get your license, sit back and enjoy.:)
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Well the tittle describes it all. I am a whuffo, completly and the biggest you will ever meet. Almost....

I've been reading abotu sky diving a lot lately like the past month or two. I am 15 currently, well I will be 16. For those of you that sky dive and are under 18-19 how did you get into it? I'm looking for a job right now and I was wondering if there was any possible way I could buy my own gear and then jsut get lessons if my parents sign something. Would that be very possible? I only know of two DZs here.(Nebraska) I'm in Lincoln and I noticed neither of them are AFF. So would that pretty much be impossible for me untill I'm 18 or not? I am starting my private license lessons within the next summer and I've flown in A LOT of air planes so I'm not completly new to the whol high altitude part.

I know I will be MAJORLY flamed here but I was just seeing if there was any one here that would be willing to actually try to help me out? Feel free to flame me I deserve it for posting this.:P

Well, the way you spell, you will really fit in well here!

Oh well thanks for pointing out that I'm not perfect ripcord... I've never really had any one have to tell me that, you make me feel right at home.

But thanks you guys I'll probably be bacfk to see you guys in two years.
-recovercrachead

Hi,

In the meantime, it's great to whet one's appetite with "Parachuting: The Skydiver's Handbook", one of the favourite pre-student skydiving books (it's a pretty popular book before the first jump)

It is not 100% representative (some pages have old information) and you should always listen to instructor (their advice overrides the book), but it will help answer MANY questions that you may have before paying for a jump...

Also, do not get a rig before skydiving school -- Pretty much all skydiving courses in North America include a student rig, so you don't need a rig while going through it all. Student rigs that weigh 30-35 pounds on your back, are very forgiving of mistakes because they use bigger parachutes. Modern sports rigs for an A license holder (25+ jumps) weigh only about 20-25 pounds on your back are slightly smaller parachutes than the big student rigs, and they often have better landing flare (and softer and more fun landings) but less forgiving of landing mistakes that can hurt if you jumped one of them as your first jump. The right rig for you can't really be decided until you are already jumping.

Confused at the terminology? Go read the book.

And, don't listen to me... I'm not an instructor... Some of my information can be wrong...

Thanks guys! Yeah I'll probably jsut save up for now and then take static line as soon as I can find a place in like Iowa. But I can go in the tunnel in Colorado as soon as that opens/next time I go to CO. No you aren't confusing me at all. I'm not new to the air at all. I've been flying in air planes all my life so it won't be weird at all going up but then when they tell me to jump out of it that's a whole new story.

THANKS DZ.com!!!
-recovercrachead

Oh well thanks for pointing out that I'm not perfect ripcord... I've never really had any one have to tell me that, you make me feel right at home.

But thanks you guys I'll probably be bacfk to see you guys in two years.

:D:D:D:D

I haven't met you and I like you already.:ph34r:

You will fit right in at any dropzone.

Check out Brian Germain's "The Parachute and its Pilot" too. Great info in there.

That's a great one too, I have that as well! Though I'd suggest reading "Parachuting: The Skydiving Handbook" first, before reading that one.

"The Parachute And Its Pilot" appears to be a book usually purchased when one is already skydiving, although it will help tide the time if you can't wait to read more about parachuting before jumping. (Just skip the chapter about how to swoop...that's advanced stuff that can hurt a beginner)

Yeah I'll probably end up buying both of the books just cause I can't wait. haha It might also be a lot better for me to wait cause I'm getting a job asap. My parents don't pay for one cent of my hobbies so yeah I'll just be saving up right now.
-recovercrachead