upndownshop

Wish we had these prices again

What was "guaranteed freefall"?

This is before AFF I believe so I think it might have been a price including 5 S/L jumps. I was just a kid at the time, but I believe you had to do 5 S/L jumps before your first H n P.

And presume "Passenger rides" was pax in the plane, not tandem?

Correct , observer rides

even some of us newbies have done static line ;) just wondering about the "guaranteed" bit - i know some people who have done way more than the minimum before being allowed to freefall!

btw presume that was in the days of chest mount reserves i.e, the fact that you could rent just a reserve?
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

even some of us newbies have done static line ;) just wondering about the "guaranteed" bit - i know some people who have done way more than the minimum before being allowed to freefall!

You are right about that, maybe some oldtimer will chime in and help with this one.

btw presume that was in the days of chest mount reserves i.e, the fact that you could rent just a reserve?

yup squares were not around yet either.
Did you notice the "reserve with INST." 2.00

the INSt was an altimeter and a stop watch mounted on the reserve. So would that mean you coud go with out?

the INSt was an altimeter and a stop watch mounted on the reserve. So would that mean you coud go with out?

Sure. In the 1970's on S/L progression it was common just to count seconds through your first freefalls up to 20 sec. delays. I think probably my first 20 jumps were without an altimeter (and when I started using one, I had to buy my own; there were none to rent).

Sure. In the 1970's on S/L progression it was common just to count seconds through your first freefalls up to 20 sec. delays. I think probably my first 20 jumps were without an altimeter (and when I started using one, I had to buy my own; there were none to rent).

Yeah I rememebr that, arch one thousand.....except my first time I went straight into the fetal position. :S told someone that once and they replied, "thats cause its where you made your first 24 jumps" :o

Anyone know where that DZ was/is? I know it says South Fl. My guess is Zhills in the mid to late 60's. I know Jerry had logged some jumps in Zhills back then.

Anyone know where that DZ was/is? I know it says South Fl. My guess is Zhills in the mid to late 60's.

I think that would be Pop Poppenhager's Indiantown, FL, DZ, on the east coast of Lake Okeechobee, west of Palm Beach, FL.

I arrived there in 1980 with about 100 jumps in my log book, and the standard jump altitude was 7,500 feet, with a Dehavilland Beaver.

You get me a 90 degree day, I'll land a round in the pond.

Just about every summer day is 90... So, I am holding you to your comment... (now we need a round, anyone wanna see JP wet?)

I know of at least 2 that he can jump. A 22' SAC and an R-4 Piglet.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I think that would be Pop Poppenhager's Indiantown, FL, DZ, on the east coast of Lake Okeechobee, west of Palm Beach, FL.

I arrived there in 1980 with about 100 jumps in my log book, and the standard jump altitude was 7,500 feet, with a Dehavilland Beaver.

Good point. I was packing rounds in 1975 for .50 and paying my little brother .25 to lean. I was 8 and he was 7 years old. So that tells me that it probably was in the 80's. I think 7,500 was a common "standard" altitude for most DZ's at that time.
I know I saw log entries for Z hills and I have heard of the DZ you mentioned, I believe Ted Strong was there too. Or am I thinking of a DZ near Kissimmee or Orlando? I will check his logs the next time I get to Tx and see if Jerry logged that DZ. If he was there he logged it for sure.

Thanks

Those were very close to the prices I paid in Houston in 1975. I remember it was a dollar extra to rent a reserve with an AAD.

Jimmy Godwin's place in Eustis was fairly close to Orlando. He had the first of the signs I saw saying "reserve repack -- $5. $10 if you watch, $20 if you help"

Wendy W,
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You get me a 90 degree day, I'll land a round in the pond.

I believe the pond was filled with gators, back then....

definitely those prices are from the 70's, not the 80's. Low jumps in 79-80 in Canada were $10-12, we had a university club that subsidized your first ten jumps a bit, I think we ended up paying like $6 per jump, (low jumps)
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

In the 1970's on S/L progression it was common just to count seconds through your first freefalls up to 20 sec. delays.

That was how it was done when I did S/L in the 1990's, too.

and me, in 2004/2005 :D

Had a chest mount altimeter, but I couldn't see the damned thing because of the way the rig fit. First piece of gear I bought was a hand mount Altimaster Galaxy after my 7th or 8th jump.
cavete terrae.

Good point. I was packing rounds in 1975 for .50 and paying my little brother .25 to lean. I was 8 and he was 7 years old

Wow, having an 8 year old pack for you. Talk about adrenalin rush ;)

$40 bucks for a book of 10 jumps at "full alti"...
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

Good point. I was packing rounds in 1975 for .50 and paying my little brother .25 to lean. I was 8 and he was 7 years old

Wow, having an 8 year old pack for you. Talk about adrenalin rush ;)

Here's more for you.
Not only would you walk up to the DZ to make your 1st jump and find out that this kid is packing your first chute, but when you landed after following the bright orange paddles to guide you back, it was the same kid telling you when to turn your canopy. Never got paid for the time I spent with those paddles, dammit Dad you took advantage of me.:)

Found this photograph with Jerry's stuff, I am guessing it is from the late 60's early 70's.

If those prices were from 1965, here's about what some of them would be today, accounting for inflation:

FJC - $238
All gear rental - $36
7200 ft jump - $30, each additional 1K $3
10 7200 ft jumps - $238 ($23.80 ea)
Sport main repack - $18

1970:

FJC - $200
All gear rental - $30
7200 ft jump - $25, each additional 1K $2.50
10 7200 ft jumps - $200 ($20 ea)
Sport main repack - $15

1975:

FJC - $150
All gear rental - $22.50
7200 ft jump - $19, each additional 1K $2
10 7200 ft jumps - $150 ($15 ea)
Sport main repack - $11

A lot of those prices look pretty familiar to me, having started a year ago. But today, for about the
same money, you get two squares, an AAD that works, at least 10K, and way cooler jump suits than
back in the day. :)

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.