Nightingale

Stupid Student tricks....

A lady in my office building had heard that I was a skydiver, and she approached me one day for information. She asked if you could fly wherever you wanted to go, and I said that you basically could. She then asked how long it would take to fly to Nashville. Nashville is 3 hours away by car.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

What's the dumbest thing you've ever seen a student do or ask?

My favorite: when a tandem student has ear problems after landing, often TM's tell them to grab their ankles and start hopping around. Hilarious! And some say it works getting their ears cleared, too :S:D We even had a student that was a medical dr fall for this :$:ph34r:

ciel bleu,
Saskia

This one's probably a classic; I film static line students a lot, which means I'm also the one who gives the command to jump. What we rehearse on the ground and in the training harness is: get ready, "look at me" (my first command, so they can smile for the camera and basically show they're not running on autopilot), jump (my second command). I remember at least one student who'd get to the door, give me the look when I said so, then I'd go;

"Jump!"
and him: "Jump?" (like in "really? sure you don't want to see a tap dance or something?")
"Jump!"
"Do I jump?" (still trying to decypher my meaning, you see)
and me "Yes! Out! The! Door!"
At which understanding would dawn on his face and he'd finally leave the plane.:D

LOL...

I had a similar conversation with my JM when I did my first RW jump.

I'd never done a floating exit before (AFF 5-8 were skyvan jumps) so Kai was teaching me how. He said something like "ok, now duck under the bar and stand with your body on the outside of the plane." I looked at him and, like a complete MORON asked "but what if I fall off?!" He laughed and said "well, you'll be dressed for the occasion, I'll jump after you, and we'll have a great skydive." me: "oh."

We once saw a student land in a tree. I believe he was on radio. The instructor was telling him over and over to turn and he just kept heading for the trees until he eventually landed in one of them. The poor guy told some people that he was trying to turn but it just wasn't working (not exact words, I'm sure). One guy heard him say this and referred to him as the "Mr. Burns" of skydiving. Just picturing this guy trying turn and it not working and thinking about this "Mr. Burns" comparison still makes me laugh. :D

We once saw a student land in a tree. I believe he was on radio. The instructor was telling him over and over to turn and he just kept heading for the trees until he eventually landed in one of them. The poor guy told some people that he was trying to turn but it just wasn't working (not exact words, I'm sure). One guy heard him say this and referred to him as the "Mr. Burns" of skydiving. Just picturing this guy trying turn and it not working and thinking about this "Mr. Burns" comparison still makes me laugh.

ROFLMAO!!!!

This one has to be the ultimate in Stoopid Stoodent

Per Jeff's link on the same page, go to http://www.skydivingmovies.com look in the "From TV" category and check out 4freefall. (They're having some problems with the server today but it's worth trying back again later.) It's staggering. The twit pulled away from his instructor and cut away his main, thinking he was deploying. His instructor tossed his pilot chute out for him at about the same time. Mr. Brilliant then ended up on his back and couldn't figure out how to arch. He then ended up plowing the only power lines in the area.

Somebody buy the guy a bowling ball for Christmas. B|

Blue skies and happy landings!

hmmm.. stupidest thing i've ever done was on my first AFF jump, i was having a really hard time getting penetration into the wind, (kinda bad spot), so i was just crabbing along. At 600 feet i was directly above the Rottweiler farm, which i was told NOT to land in since the owner's an ass and uhh.. there's rottweilers. :S So i decided that i might as well just try to make it back to the dropzone, remember that i'm deaf, and i didnt have any radio assistance. to make a long story short, i came in over the powerlines at about 60 feet, and managed to land okay. Now looking back that was probably one of the stupidest things i've ever done, but i didnt know. i should have already decided exactly where i could have landed safely by like 1,500 feet. Oh well. I'm glad i had that experience though, taught me to be alot more aware of my surroundings and to look for outs. B|

The stupidest thing I ever said was on one of my AFF consolidation jumps.

We were on our way to the top in Cessna 206 in Spain and it was really really hot so we still had the door open. Suddenly the plane spluttered and died and the pilot turns round and shouts "everybody get out". I panicked, looked at my JM and said "what do I do?" to which he calmly replied "Get out" before hoofing me out the door...

I was under pressure OK.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

On my first jump (tandem), we get to altitude and the experienced jumpers start exiting. Takes me a few seconds to realize the plane isn't quite as full as it was and I ask "Did they just go?" "Yes."

With absolutely no filter between brain and mouth, I make this brilliant observation: "OH MY GOD THEY JUST JUMPED OUT OF THE F---ING AIRPLANE!!" Well, duh...

My favorite for a S/L was:

Me: "Climb out ang hang!"
Student: "But I'll fall!"
Me: (after recovering from being absolutely floored) "Um, yes, you will!".

Derek

Hey, go easy on these students. It took me around a dozen (or two dozen) jumps before I stopped being afraid of falling out of the plane. :D

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.