190jumper

*In pensacola need a closing loop before airline trip tomorrow.*

hey all

Was packing my chute after a beach jump last night and I broke my closing loop. I need to get one tonight before I fly on the airlines tomorrow. Anyone have one laying around, I am staying the night in Pensacola, FL. Ill throw you guys a couple of bucks if you can spare one, either used or new.

Call me if anyone has a clue. thanks
Tim
301-461-1081

If you just need something to keep the rig securely closed while you're flying.. maybe you could cut up some old shoelaces and finger trap it.

Then replace it when you get to where you're going.

I don't know if that was the sort of answer you were looking for... Never been in a type 2a bind before.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

no advice here the 550 cord sounds good. but really...this happend to me once. It scared me that i had let it get that bad without replacing. I mean if it broke that easy what if you (or me when it happend) hand bent some weird way in the door and it broke then. Could be bad. After that i will be getting a new closing loop as soon as it starts to look even a little frayed. (just had on put on yesterday)
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

hindsight is 20/20... but always keep a closing loop or two in your gearbag for just this kind of problem.

They pass them out free at boogies, you can make one, or buy one from a packer or a rigger. just an fyi for the future.

MB 3528, RB 1182

isn't it a requirement to make a closing loop before getting an a license?

Yes, but so is spotting. How many jumpers do you know that can't spot a load to save their butt?

I find that even though a student will make a closing loop during their progression, its something that is quickly forgotten since its not actively practiced. So it never fails that myself and others will end up reteaching how to make a closing loop later on after the student has earned their A license.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yes, but so is spotting. How many jumpers do you know that can't spot a load to save their butt?

They may have upped the number of jumps for a "D"...but I see ya no longer have to use a backhand fid to thumbtrap an opening loop anymore![:/];)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

hey all

Was packing my chute after a beach jump last night and I broke my closing loop. I need to get one tonight before I fly on the airlines tomorrow. Anyone have one laying around, I am staying the night in Pensacola, FL. Ill throw you guys a couple of bucks if you can spare one, either used or new.

Call me if anyone has a clue. thanks
Tim
301-461-1081

Not trying to be a dick, but personally I find it kind of frightening that you let a closing loop get so worn that it broke while you were packing.

Didn't anyone say anything to you about it when you got a gear check before boarding the plane before the jump? :S

Didn't anyone say something like 10% wear to you or something? I know I may not have the experiance of other people, but I was tought that is something you look for when you do a gear check.

I hope you didn't lose you little metal washer.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

well justinb

it didnt really break. the loop was small because a packer in houston made it smaller for him when he was packing it for a day. I packed it yesterday, and was killing my hands to get the rig flaps closed. in the process of losening up the closing loop, the finger trap worked its way into itself and I no longer had the closing loop.

why the hell does this thread change into something that it doesnt have to be? I just asked a simple question for some local fellow jumpers.

thank you all for replying positively but justinb and packing jarrett, did you guys help me with my post? no, you came in here to act like pussies. grow up.
i didnt explain the whole story because i wanted a simple and short thread, but not anymore.

thanks all that helped you were great!

Because we as a species love to complicate ths shit out of everything.
Get a power tool.
I assume you have all your appendages, so use both of your knees.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

The requirement is to change a closing loop.

Since many DZ's just give you one that is pre-made.. not really a big deal if you don't know how to make one yourself. I usually show people how to make them when I check that requirement off of their card.

I think that DZ's should liberally give out closing loops for FREE. At one DZ I used to jump at they charged a dollar for a new loop. That caused people to procrastinate about changing it.. I mean c'mon, a dollar? It isn't worth that much. So fuck that shit, :SI starting making closing loops and handing them out for free behind the bosses back!:ph34r:

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Well Mr.Picky...

If you go by the 2-page A license check card it does in fact say change or adjust. However if you use the 4-page card the requirement is to replace a closing loop.

the loop was small because a packer in houston made it smaller for him when he was packing it for a day.

I just want to point out that I think this is a good thing. The packer probably had a much cleaner pack job than you, so it was less bulky and the closing loop was too long. It is a good thing that he shortened the loop to suit his pack job. Yeah it is a pain when you have to change it back for your own pack job.. but having a closing loop that is too loose is just as dangerous as having one that is getting to worn out.

I've seen people on here in the past complain about packers doing this, I think people should be thanking their packers for taking extra time to keep them safe.

(just my little rant-- not directed at you)

-Karen

>but having a closing loop that is too loose is just as dangerous as
> having one that is getting to worn out.

A rather experienced rigger once said "your closing loop should be so tight that your girlfriend can't close your rig." A sexist comment, but a good underlying philosophy - that your closing loop should be as tight as possible. Why?

1. It's one of the protections against a pulled pin
2. Pack jobs get looser, not tighter, as they sit

A lot of packers are good at low-bulk pack jobs, so a good packer will often shorten the closing loop. Some lengthen it to make their jobs easier; I don't think that's such a good idea in general.

(As to the original point of the thread - take any piece of string and make a loop with a big knot in it. That will keep the rig closed through the trip.)

A few years back I about ran into a jumper, he had a premie and was a bit below me.. wow that was fun!
When we all where on the ground I gave him a few closing loops and fit it to his rig so it would be nice and snug.
Since that time I have been making closing loops and giving them away, this year i have mailed out closing loops to friends at various dz's that i like to jump at and asked that they give the loops out to others.. i actaully have been doing this for years.
So this morning I sent 190jumper a small package of closing loops.
We could get into a whole debate on changing these things out, when and who should do it.. but who cares.
Some peope don't know and yelling at them, or making fun of those who don't know about gear does not help anyone out.
Thru his loss of his cloing loop was a plea and some choose to educate and help the jumper and the sport, others not so much.
If there is just one thing that each of us can do to help each other out and making closeing loops is what i can do then so be it.
Oh 190jumper, you will enjoy that I sent three diffrent colors of closing loops.. the pink ones that are so popular and I get request for al the time are currently out of stock.. but maybe some day soon.. until then enjoy the Purple, orange and blue ones that I sent you.
Little Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com