freq-fly

Packing "Must do's"

I'm new to packing (done about 6 pack jobs unassisted) and I'm mr. paranoid when it comes to making sure I don't screw something up bad enough to the point where I'll have to cut-away..

What are the KEY things to a pack job that will insure a good opening?

I seem to have everything down except everytime I'm flaking, especially my c-lines and d-lines.... I feel like I'm looking into a spider web!!

Thanx for your imput!
Fail because of it or succeed inspite of it

I'm new to packing (done about 6 pack jobs unassisted) and I'm mr. paranoid when it comes to making sure I don't screw something up bad enough to the point where I'll have to cut-away..

What are the KEY things to a pack job that will insure a good opening?

I seem to have everything down except everytime I'm flaking, especially my c-lines and d-lines.... I feel like I'm looking into a spider web!!

Thanx for your imput!

Don't pull any lines in front of the nose.

Make sure the slider is tight against the slider stops.

Stow your lines neatly.

For Great Deals on Gear

-Line continuity (no step-throughs); no twists in brakelines
-Three rings not turned under
-Toggles securely stowed
-Even line tension throughout
-Canopy flaked symmetrically
-Slider brought up correctly (in the center)
-Slider grommets stay nested against the slider stops throughout the bagging process
-Keep the lines in the center of the packjob, free of canopy fabric
-Even line stows using serviceable stow-bands of the appropriate type (check your H/C owner's manual). Check the manual for correct length of stows as well.
-Leave the correct length of remaining line between the last regular stow and the risers (again, check you H/C manual)
-Proper main bridle routing & security
-Serviceable closing loop; correct length
-Securely stowed pilot chute.
Arrive Safely

John

In addition to what was already said, I like to "pre-tension" my brake lines after the brakes are set and the excess is stowed properly. A quick tug upward tug on the lower control line ensures everything is seated and will reduce the odds of a premature break-fire IMHO (unless the slider knocks one out during deployment obviously).

Don't worry if the lines look confusing now, I thought the same thing when I started packing... when looking down into the packjob everything just seemed like chaos to me until a friend showed me a trick: first find out how many brake line attachment points your canopy has on each side buy starting at the center cell (or label if your canopy has one) and follow the trailing edge of the canopy. There are usually 4 and sometimes 5, these attach to the control line that runs to the toggle. With the canopy over your shoulder take the brake lines from one side and lift them up to eye level. The next set of lines (longest) you should see are your D lines and there should be 3-4 of them per side depending on the canopy. You can grab and lift those up and now you are at the C lines, etc...

Of course, I have to let you know that flaking your canopy is really over-rated... as long as the lines are in the center, the fabric to the outside, stabilizers are clear, brakes are stowed properly, slider quartered and against the stops, and lines are even it'll open just fine. When I take my time and flake everything all neatly I can't see any difference from when I just shake it out and take 10 seconds to straighten the lines a bit. I have never packed a mal for myself or anyone else.

Just some personal insight, take it or leave it. ;)

Happy packing! B|
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

For my money - the basic rule I teach everyone is:

Lines one the inside, fabric on the outside

- and -

Its going to come out exactly as it went in!

Keep your linestows even and neat and keep everything symentrical.
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

Have you ever taken a packing class??

It's frustrating at the beginning and I used to think the same thing as you. I was told I didn't have to flake between my c and d lines.

The most helpful thing for me sorting out those lines was to cheat with the slider. I use the slider to get all the A and B lines seperated from the C and D lines. I still do that.
I agree with others, lines on inside fabric on outside.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

For my money - the basic rule I teach everyone is:

Lines one the inside, fabric on the outside

- and -

Its going to come out exactly as it went in!

Keep your linestows even and neat and keep everything symentrical.

I hope that it's just that you haven't updated your profile in awhile.

At 120 jumps I kinda hope you're not really "teaching" too many folks.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

On 5 to 7 minute pack jobs - ultra sloppy - I have not had to use my reserve in 6 years/2700+ skydives!

The trick is to use a parachute and as someone mentioned a few posts up, taking a packing class is a good idea. Even if you have taken one already it would still be a good idea to get someone else (someone very experienced) and get alternate inputs.

"making sure I don't screw something up bad enough to the point where I'll have to cut-away"

Modern Parachutes are very reliable, keep it simple and do a search on packing, there are threads galore. As Bill has put it, there is a lot of mumbo jumbo where packing is concerned these days. Reading the owners manual that came with your canopy would be a good idea. And just because you do everything "textbook" does not mean you will not have a malfunction - there is a lot going on the moment your canopy hits the wind, your pack job is effectievly shot at that point.

Just my opinion (and many other rigger types with many thousands more jumps and years in the soprt than I).

You nervous about messing up a pack job? you can practice on my canopy anytime, I'll jump it...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I've been packing for almost 20 years now, with the parachutes your jumping now you almost have to tie the damn thing into a bow tie for it to malfunction on you. When you start getting into smaller canopies you will do practically the same thing you're doing now but you will emphasize more on your body position on opening (making sure your square in the harness as not to pre-load one side of the parachute causing a spin before the canopy is fully inflated.) I've seen canopies open after being packed in a trash bag, I've seen 'em stuffed into the bag and work great, and I've seen people trying to be extremely neat and cause themselves a Mal. As long as the stows are somewhat neat, and you don't mis-route the bridal, odds are it is going to come out of the bag. and once it is out of the bag, no amount of neatness is going to make it open any more straight.

Another way to look at it: all the stuff you straightened out, twisted or tucked while you had it over your shoulder normally comes undone when you have it on the ground and are trying to get all the air out of it and are tucking the excess under anyway.

and to quote AFFI

there is a lot going on the moment your canopy hits the wind, your pack job is effectievly shot at that point.

Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

I hope that it's just that you haven't updated your profile in awhile.

At 120 jumps I kinda hope you're not really "teaching" too many folks.

What if he's been a packer for years? (Note, I don't know this, but it's a very real possibility).

At my jump numbers/packing experience level, I don't teach packing classes, but I will help a newer jumper through packing, especially if it's a point where they get "stuck." Sometimes all it takes is standing next to them while we're both packing, slowing down on my pack job, and talking through each step as I go through it.

When I was brand new to packing, I was always grateful for the experienced jumpers who would say "do this next" or just glance at my pack job and say "looks good" if I was feeling underconfident. Very helpful on a busy day when it's tough to grab a packer or rigger.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

5 must do's of packing

1. lines straight
2. brakes set
3. slider ALLLL the way hard up against the bottom of the canopy
4. rubber bands tight
5. bridle routing

And please don't forget to re-set your kill line. And check your kill line at least twice, once right when you set it, then again before you close your bag into the container. I won't go into how to set it, you should have a packer or instructor show you personally.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Packing is neither rocket science nor requires a master rigger to teach someone how to stuff some fabric in a bag... I know some "professional" packers that don't have their ticket that know more about gear and packing than some senior riggers I know.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Packing is neither rocket science nor requires a master rigger to teach someone how to stuff some fabric in a bag...

Look, I don't wanna get into a debate here about what is or is not appropriate, but you guys are kinda forcing the issue so here goes;

You're right of course, packing is not rocket science, however I completely disagree with the notion that just because somebody KNOWS how to do something he can also TEACH it.

There is a reason why the USPA Coach rating exists. It teaches you to teach other people.

Are there people that can teach things without having a coach rating? Yes. People that have been involved in teaching as a profession probably have some insight and probably can do it maybe even better than those who have ONLY gone through the coach course.

Should the average, low jump number, random jumper be giving out advice about a lot of stuff in the packing area -- I don't think so. Certainly not based on what kind of stuff I've seen go on.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I definitely agree with your sentiment. Packing is not that hard.. but teaching someone else you definitely have to have a good handle on the entire process and be able to answer all of the "why's".

But on a side-note...the USPA coach rating is a lot of bullshit. I had to throw that in there. You can't be taught how to teach someone in just a few practice jumps and a 2-3 day course.

Carry on.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Dude, he IS a USPA-rated coach. :S

Obviously he demonstrated some level of competence and the ability communicate effectively with students or he wouldn't have the rating.

I'm not a coach or a rigger and I bet I could teach someone how to pack (and I have before). If I'm not familiar with the container or how to close it properly I'd go look it up first or find someone that was.

As little support I've received on the packing mat from "experienced" people over the years it's good to see new(er) jumpers support other newer ones while the rest of the "serious" skydivers are off shooting video, hauling meat, trying to pay their rent, or set some new record at something. Pissy/unsupportive attitudes drive away more new jumpers than any other single factor.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

A "packer" is just someone you paid to pack your rig for you. He/she may or may not be an FAA senior rigger, but he/she should be supervised by one if they are packing somone else's rig (although this is often not enforced).

A "rigger" is just slang for "senior rigger" since the rigger rating no longer exists. If you want to know more about the rating check out this site: http://www.pookiebearrigging.com/
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Damn I missed a lot during my nap today B|

Thanks for getting my back Ryan!

I've been a packer for a long time and since I am a poor college kid thats how I pay for my skydiving. I used to keep track of my pack jobs but I lost count close to 1000.
(0 mals *knock on wood*)

I would/could never clear a student to pack for himself/herself. Legally even when I pack I must be supervised by a rigger or the jumper in command of the rig next. I understand all of this and I understand my limitations, but it doesn't mean that I can't teach people how to pack. I've been teaching other sports for years. Especially swimming, thats a pretty damn good summer job.
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training