Vertifly

Random Exiting

Has anyone ever here just exited a plane, not over a DZ, not for a demo?

...but rather - planned or unplanned, just been on a plane, or asked any local pilot, then put your rig on, picked a nice spot where you know you can make your way back (by hitch-hiking or any other means) and said, "I'm going to get out.".

Other than putting someone's license at risk, what do you think the repercussions would be?...that is, if you landed on public property. ;):P

Safety first.

In the old days it wasn't uncommon to just go "looking for a hole" figuring we could find our way back. We ended up some interesting places, as far as 20 miles from the DZ, and nobody died (or even got hurt that I recall). Mostly this was on mid-winter twin-beech loads, so we had 8 or 10 jumpers. I wouldn't recommend it these days.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

...because the green light is on, you don't have to jump.

Not referring to a green light scenario. More along the lines of where Darkwing is going. But how about just while the plane was on its way to another place. Like over some random farm somewhere interstate wide. :ph34r:

Not really a random place, but I've been on loads, many years ago, where we picked a field miles away from the DZ. If the DZ was socked-in, we would find a good area, tell the pilot to "send some folks to pick us up at x-y intersection", and get out. We would usually have time to pack before the pick-up crew arrived. There was one time when the property owner wouldn't let us leave and called the police, but that's another story. :S

Once in a while we would jump into a field that was known to produce particularly good mushrooms. :) But that's yet another story. :P

Kevin

I have been seriously tempted to do that. Especially on days when I don't want to pack any more parachutes.. I could just roll on out of the plane and go on a little adventure.:)
I almost fell off the plane a ways from the DZ once. I was hanging underneath the strut on a 182 getting ready to chase a tandem when the videographers camera quit working and we passed our hole in the clouds. I had to hang on for about 5 minutes in the middle of winter while we did not 1, but 2 go arounds!!!!! I kept thinking that we were about to try the exit again.. don't know why it took so long...

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

on many occasions:

alpine jump training:
1. fly with heli,
2. pick a nice landing zone from the air,
3. look at map to adjust altimeter to correct height, (or land there and adjust altimeter)
4. jump

last year during canopy piloting world cup in austria, the heli from which the competitors jumped offered sight-seeing flights during the breaks. i asked the pilot if he would let me out at 7000ft, and he did...twice.
the expression on the sight-seeing passengers face was ...nice... :)had to choose my landing zone under canopy, because i had no ground sight in the heli because of clouds :D

Pretty much every balloon jump is like that. You take off not knowing where you will land and just sort of make it up as you go.

I remember a very fun jump at the WFFC a bunch of years ago. The balloon took two loads. The first load got out many miles from the DZ, the balloon landed in a random field and was met by the chase crew. The second load got in and we took off, traveling even more miles from the DZ. We eventually got out a million miles from noplaceville, where none of the locals had ever heard of skydivers. It took quite a while for the chase crew to find us, and by then the locals had pulled out cameras and shot tons of photos of themselves with the visiting jumpers. We were definitely the toast of the town.

It was a pretty cool jump in a very random way.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

yes just once for a power failure....it would have been more sensible to glide back to the Dz as we had heaps of height.....but all the paaengers looked at each other when the noise stopped and an unspoken, unanimous vote was taken....5 secs later the pilot was coasting along by himself....made it back without incident
regards, Steve
the older I get...the better I was

Other than putting someone's license at risk, what do you think the repercussions would be?

I think you'd need to be really sure to have a good grip on the door before you open it. Then, stow it really well *inside* the aircraft - like in the row of seats _behind_ the exit row, so it for sure can't fall out. It's a big hunk of aluminum and might damage the plane or objects on the ground if it got loose. If you can, do it while everyone (including the flight attendants) is still seated and belted - you probably need to do it then anyway if you don't have a bail-out bottle. The high airspeed might also be interesting.

Before you do this, you will want to own a dependable car, or have plenty of cash for train and bus fares, as the big boys probably won't sell you lift tickets anymore. Those Part 119/135 types are awfully picky that way. You'll also want to have a good landshark lined up.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I think you'd need to be really sure to have a good grip on the door before you open it. Then, stow it really well *inside* the aircraft - like in the row of seats _behind_ the exit row, so it for sure can't fall out. It's a big hunk of aluminum and might damage the plane or objects on the ground if it got loose. If you can, do it while everyone (including the flight attendants) is still seated and belted - you probably need to do it then anyway if you don't have a bail-out bottle. The high airspeed might also be interesting.

Before you do this, you will want to own a dependable car, or have plenty of cash for train and bus fares, as the big boys probably won't sell you lift tickets anymore. Those Part 119/135 types are awfully picky that way. You'll also want to have a good landshark lined up.

what are you on...and can i have some?

Eule

I think you forgot the part where the gaint trubine engine comes in...:)