freefalle

Sky truck

What is the price of an Antonov 28 when compared to a Twin Otter?
Initial purchase price?
Import fees to Canada or USA?
Fuel consumption?
Crew costs?
Overhaul reserve on engines?
Cost of spare parts?
Time waiting for spare parts?
Number of Antonov-qualified mechanics?
etc.?

I can't seem to find much on that. All lines of enquiry seem to lead back to the site of the Skytruck's US importer.

However, this article, originally from the Baltimore Sun, has a really interesting bit in the last few paragraphs... according to the importer the M28 got its FAA type certification as part of a huge quid pro quo deal in which the US effectively bought Poland's support for the Iraq war.

edited to add Skytruck usa site

Anyone know what they're worth?

You can "wet-lease" these for roughly $900.00-per/hr, which is an "ACMI" deal meaning that the Aircraft, Crew, Maintenance, and Insurance are included. You would have to turn out three full loads per hour every hour to make it viable. These are simply too expensive for a DZ at this point in time, but when these start showing up used with 20,000+ hours...we'll see 'em!

I understand that it is taller inside than a Twin Otter, but about 6" shorter than a Casa 212. Can anyone confirm that?

The Twin Otter's main cabin is 59-inches high in the center, cabin width is 63-inches, and the cabin length is 18.5-feet. The Skytruck's main cabin is 68-inches high in the center, cabin width is 69-inches, and the cabin length is 17.3-feet. The Aviocar's main cabin is 67-inches high in the center, cabin width is 67-inches, and the cabin length is 21.0-feet.

That's weird man. When we rent 'um for a boogie we have to do 25 lifts and we're good, money wise.
The AN-28 is extremely durable (hey, it's Russian :P), fast to altitude and has the sweetest resonating sound to its engines.

Gotta side with jerry though. There are some sharp edges on 'em that can bust you up pretty bad. Still got a scar to prove it B|.

Sorry,but you are talking about two vastly different lines of airplanes.
Skyvans, Skyliners, Shorts 360, Sherpa, etc. were all built by Short Brothers of Harland (sp?) in Northern Ireland.

Meanwhile, AN-28, M-28, Skytruck, etc. are based on Russian designs, built in Russia or Poland.

No parts common between the two different production lines.

.... We were using a plane i believe they called a Westwind...

jason

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Westwind is an old Beeech 18 updated with a pair of Pratt & Whitney PT6A-? turboporp engines.
with the dame horsepower as a Twin Otter or King Air, but only a dozen jumpers, they slimb like stink, but still need an above-average taildragger pilot to keep them on the runway.

.... We were using a plane i believe they called a Westwind...

jason

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Westwind is an old Beeech 18 updated with a pair of Pratt & Whitney PT6A-? turboporp engines.
with the dame horsepower as a Twin Otter or King Air, but only a dozen jumpers, they slimb like stink, but still need an above-average taildragger pilot to keep them on the runway.

There were 2 versions of a turbine D-18. The Westwind and Volpar.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Those arent PT6's, they look like a Garrett or Lycomming turbine of some sort.

Just looked it up they are Two 525kW (705ehp) AiResearch (Garrett) TPE3311101B turboprops driving three blade constant speed Hartzell propellers.

Now how geeky am I ?

i've jumped a westwind maybe 1/2 a dozen times in tullahoma, tn. frought w/ problems. once it lost an engine, all had to bail out, one chick struck her head on one of the tails and was knocked out, cypres fire, landed in trees. another time, had a blow out on one of the main wheels, ground looped or something, lost gear, just bad shit.

ugly plane. but it was my first turbine, so i'm kinda attached to it, like you're attached to your first lay, ya know? [:/]

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...