jtval

$200 to 6000agl

So, I gotta ask.

Has anyone EVER heard of a DZ charging tandems $199 to jump if they are only going to 6000agl?

I just saw an ad to one of the vegas dz's who still advertise "2miles" above the ground and I wonder has this become common practice at tandem factories?

I filmed a tandem who had the "experience" at the other dz and he was totally amazed that we went so high and that he got his DVD and Film before he left.

He was angry that they fucked him so he did some research and found us.Our DZO charges $165 and gets a minimum of 9500. (outside)vid and stills cost $75.

He has since started his student progression.

I wonder how many other first time students get the bad experience and decide it'snot worth it.
hell even for the full experience at a real DZ it is expensive. now dz's are cutting altitude and robbing the student of their experience.

IMO this is worse than skyride
My photos

My Videos

Most students do not return and can't tell the difference.

Would you be OK with it if they charged less?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I'm guessing you're at Lodi. thats a sweet price.

there's not a lot of difference between 12k and 13k to a first timer.

but 2miles or 6k...there's a huge diff.
the one thing the miss is what I like to call "the skydive."

the get a static line with some sweaty, instructor tied to them.
My photos

My Videos

Most students do not return and can't tell the difference.

Would you be OK with it if they charged less?

Yes. if they charged the student a price equal to what most DZ's are offering, I would shut up and color.

seems most people are in vegas and decide to do a spur of the moment skydive without thinking about how they'll be robbed.

I bet 90 percent of them have at least seen "real tv" type shows and wonder where the freefall part went[:/]
My photos

My Videos

Yes. if they charged the student a price equal to what most DZ's are offering, I would shut up and color.

Do you get pissed off when someone pays sticker for a new car?

seems most people are in vegas and decide to do a spur of the moment skydive without thinking about how they'll be robbed.

They were not "robbed". You think they were robbed, but I know people who will pay 500 bucks for a tandem...Hell, I did a tandem where they guy paid 1,000 in a chartiy auction...did he get robbed as well?

YOU think they got robbed...Some of them might think they got robbed as well...But I know some people who think that you charging 165 for a Cessna is robbing people since they do them for 150 out of a turbine.

Are you robbing people?

Not trying to be argumentative...But do you see how you thinking this DZ is robbing people can be turned on you for the same reasons? More cost for less altitude.

I bet 90 percent of them have at least seen "real tv" type shows and wonder where the freefall part went

Honestly I doubt that. I have done tandems where we flipped on exit and the studnet had no clue..And Tandems where we went out rock solid and they swear we flipped and rolled like crazy.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Yea, I see your point and yes I know they are being robbed.

If they enjoy the experience than I guess they got what they hoped for and all is well.

but they are Lying to the people. that is what I have a problem with.

they( a few of the vegas DZs) advertise up to 15000agl. and I know that at least two of them are going to 6000 as a rule.

if they advertised jump from 6k for 200. I, again, would shut up and color.:D
My photos

My Videos

So, I gotta ask.

Has anyone EVER heard of a DZ charging tandems $199 to jump if they are only going to 6000agl?

I just saw an ad to one of the vegas dz's who still advertise "2miles" above the ground and I wonder has this become common practice at tandem factories?

If thats true they are outright lying in their advertising since one mile is 5280 ft.

They are giving their tandems just a hair over one mile. Nowhere near two.
__

My mighty steed

I've seen advertising for tandems... you pay some amount for a tandem, say $150, but that only gets you 5k. You have to pay extra, say $200 total, to get full altitude.

then the advertising can claim "Only $150 for a tandem, cheapest in the area!!!!!11"
:S

MB 3528, RB 1182

Seen that,too.
I dont have a prob with thatsince they are honoest about the pricing.

I don't know. none of this affects me personally but it bugs me that the students arebeing taken advantage of.

Yup, if youre lying to them because they won;t know better, they arebeing taken advantage of
My photos

My Videos

I had an argument with a few guys recently face to face when they suggested that the tandem student would never know the difference between 6K and 12K... (Not my home DZ)

I asked, "what about the video, won't it look real short."

They said, "Slow mo the exit, replay some of the stuff, it will LOOK long."

I am all about getting what you pay for - and what is advertised.

If someone is told they will be getting a tandem hop-n-pop, fine. If advertised and paid for X and given Y - that is deceptive marketing, and it pisses me off in ANY industry - and I never will be part of it.

Thank you.;)
For a while I thought I was the only one that was bothered.

I agree that in any industry it pisses me off. but Im only personally in love with one industry. I am reminded everyday time I jump.

It doesnt ruin my day, but I go to my DZbecause its the only honest one in driving distance.
My photos

My Videos

2 statute miles is 10,560 feet up, not 6000. 2 nautical miles is a hair over 12,000. Are they saying " 2 miles" or "6000 agl"?

And yes, that's "fair". If you don't want what they are selling, don't buy it. I personally wouldn't work for that place because I don't like doing tandems from 6000 feet. Well, actually, how much do they pay tandem masters? Hmmm, do they have a dental plan?;)

2 statute miles is 10,560 feet up, not 6000.

Thank you - I was about to post that. I don't know my nautical miles, so thanks too.

Take your statute mile and multiply it by 1.15 and you have nautical miles.

Now if I could just figure out why a mile in the air is longer than a mile on the ground.:P
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

JT if it is The Boulder DZ what is their Altitude? If they are the same as you then if they say 2 miles and go to 6k then they are pretty close to 2 Miles MSL.. Tricky and slick but if pressed they can prove they are taking them to 2miles above the sea. Now if their advertising SAYS 2 miles agl then yes they are lying but if they convienantly left that out they are not techincally lying...

Not agreeing with them by any means. You know I love Brad and Mesquite and wish everyone would come out and jump there so you could have a turbine running 7 days a week.

Maybe Brad needs to get really agressive in his Vegas Marketing. It takes almost as long to drive to BC as it does to Mesquite so if he cna get creative maybe he can pull more people away from them..

Just a thought

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

My first tandem was at Vegas (BC) a long time ago. I recall thinking it was over so fast. In hindsight I had assumed it was sensory overload, but maybe it was just limited freefall. 5 years later when I did an "18k" jump, I was getting slightly bored towards the end of freefall.

Nonetheless, I thought it was$150 well spent on that trip. Great pictures too, much better than the norm I see today.

JT if it is The Boulder DZ what is their Altitude? If they are the same as you then if they say 2 miles and go to 6k then they are pretty close to 2 Miles MSL.. Tricky and slick but if pressed they can prove they are taking them to 2miles above the sea. Now if their advertising SAYS 2 miles agl then yes they are lying but if they convienantly left that out they are not techincally lying...

I've seen the same thing done at a DZ for experienced jumpers. They gave us 13.5k, but they meant 13.5k MSL. It was actually 12.5k AGL, so not a big difference, but annoying nonetheless.

MB 3528, RB 1182

When SD las vegvas was open they were going to at least 10,000 as far as I know although they were advertising 15000.

Catfishhunter,
True I believe they just state 2 miles and leave off the AGL/MSL option. its still a shitty thing ti do IMO.

Brad would waste a lot of money in the vegas market. I do enough advertising for him through word of mouth:D.
My photos

My Videos

A "normal", or statute, mile is 1760 yards. A nautical mile is 2000 yards. Thus 1 mile per hour is slower than 1 nautical mile per hour (knot).

It's all to do with the old way of measuring speed on a boat, tying knots in a piece of rope, and throwing the end overboard. It was easier to calculate the required distance between knots if you made a mile 2000 yards...

Therefore, in the UK, when the BPA makes a rule that says the wind limit is 20 knots, this equates to around 23mph.
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

I am all about getting what you pay for - and what is advertised.

If someone is told they will be getting a tandem hop-n-pop, fine. If advertised and paid for X and given Y - that is deceptive marketing, and it pisses me off in ANY industry - and I never will be part of it.

Agreed. In any business - if they've paid for what you've advertised, give them what they've paid for. If you give them substantially less than what you've advertised, charge them less. But charging someone full price for an advertised 12 or 13K jump (at least 30 seconds of freefall) while only giving them a hop & pop from 6K, presuming they'll never know the difference, is fraud in my book.

2 statute miles is 10,560 feet up, not 6000.

Thank you - I was about to post that. I don't know my nautical miles, so thanks too.

Take your statute mile and multiply it by 1.15 and you have nautical miles.

Now if I could just figure out why a mile in the air is longer than a mile on the ground.:P

... keep it up with that maths sh*t Sparky and one of these days while trying to claculate the exact number of seconds you'll have in freefall from a given altitude, you'll forget to carry the "2" and then you'll really have some troubles... :P

Anyway, did anyone actually name the DZ that was doing this?? I couldn't find it up post... doh!

Well they must not give their tandem students altimeters then. I mean if they advertise 13,000 AGL
and you look at your altimeter and it says 6K and you're out the door......That is just wrongggg!
My only time of being at total peace is when im in freefall and flying my canopy safely to the ground! Skydiving has honestly and truly saved my life!