DustyP

Addiction Prolly...

Over the past week I'v been thinking about my 2nd jump, and looking forward to more. Its almost like when you break-up with someone that you really care about and you feel kinda lost until you come to grip with it, thats kinda how I'm feeling. I feel like theres not enough time to do anything else but think and go skydiving. Im kinda in a helpless situation. I dont make enough money to do what I want, and pay all my damn bills. It sucks. If i could have it my way. Id jump everyday. On top of the price of jumping the DZ is about 3hr45min drive, little under $50 in gas alone. that shit adds up faster than I can make it. Im gonna try to jump and strech it out till middle of fall or whenever they stop jumping and save over the winter, but still DAMN. I want to go today. Im gonna have to settle with mowing the lawn and looking around on DZ.com.

Have fun fo me
DustyP

You can always move to the DZ and work for credit until you've got 500 jumps :) If your DZ isn't looking for help, there are plenty that are! A trailer to live in doesn't cost that much and most places will give you a discount on rent if you work for them.

Say goodbye to your friends tonight, because whether you know it or not - this is exactly what's going to happen!

:)
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

Welcome to skydiving. It's mroe addictive than crack and more expensive than golf.

Sure about that? My King Cobra Irons and Callaway Woods cost as much as my AFF course, and a round of golf is about the same as a day of 5 jumps.;)

When my friends and family call skydiving my sport or my hobby, I have to set them straight. It's neither, it is my addiction. And I've given up all my other addictions to fund this one. I also can relate to these out f***ingrageous gas prices. I'm 2 1/2 hrs from one DZ and 3 1/2 from another. The gas costs more than the jumps these days. Anyway welcome to your new addiction. I think we need skydivers annonymous.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Welcome to skydiving. It's mroe addictive than crack and more expensive than golf.

Sure about that? My King Cobra Irons and Callaway Woods cost as much as my AFF course, and a round of golf is about the same as a day of 5 jumps.;)

You only do 5 jumps a day? That doesn't even get me to lunch! ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Well, compare the cost of rig and other related equipment to the cost of you clubs, Cost of AFF compared to the lessons you took and green fees versus jump tickets. After that is tallied add in all your 1st beer, travel to boogies, etc. etc. :P

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Learn to pack. People will pay you.

Buy a tent. It's crazy to drive that far if you aren't going for at least two days.

Sell everything you own that you don't absolutely need for survival.

Welcome to the (extremely dysfunctional) family. Watch out for Uncle Bob.

Dusty, I'm finding myself in the same boat.

I did my first tandem last summer in Davis CA while on vacation, courtesy of my g/f's brother who worked there. I immediately thought 'this is something I want to do', but was already saddled with the expensive hobby of long-distance motorcycling. The cost was the only turn-off.
Well, I got another cross-country bike trip outta my system this summer & decided to go for another tandem at my local dz.. My first words on the ground were 'holy sh*t I gotta start doing this'. In the 2 weeks since the jump, I've come to terms with the fact that I've seen 42 states on the bike, and the other 8 can wait for a while. While I'm only an hour from my local dz, the costs still add up for a student. I've decided that the bike trips & the burned-up vacation time that goes along with them are now on the back-burner until I can get an A license and a rig. Of course, my old vice provides me with gas-easy transportation to the DZ as well as a tent when I get there, so not too bad of a switch-up for a while.

As far as the person who said theyre afraid of heights but like to push the fear, thats my deal as well. Its so wierd because I liek roller coasters, I liek tall buildings, and for a living I climb phone poles in gaffs. I guess, anymore, I have to stop saying I'm afraid of heights and maybe just accept the fact that I respect them, because I spend way too much time on ladders and the such to really be afraid anymore.

this hobby you all have, is ridiculous. I cant wait for static line training next saturday, I only hope we get blue skies. Anybody figure out how to pack a rig on a sport-bike along with camping gear yet?

peace
-paul
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

I felt like this thru my after my first tandem too. I did another one that day. And more the next week. Then started AFF right away. My friends and family, knowing how I can be about things, thought this was something else that I would exhaust myself of quickly.

Six months, two licenses, and 64 jumps later, I still get giddy before I make my 4 hour drive to my dz of choice, jump my ass off whenever I get there, and feel high all day long. I call it crack, because its truly what it is. Its my drug. I long for it, live for it, budget myself for it. I've given up a lot of little things I used to enjoy(shopping, pedicures/manicures/frequent haircuts, etc) to help pay for it. Not a day goes by that I don't think about when I can go again, what I will work on, how I can improve off my last jumps....

Welcome. Skydiving has enriched my life in more ways than I ever imagined. There's just nothing quite like it.
~Dottie

“Everything looks perfect from far away.”
Postal Service, Such Great Heights

Why are you driving 4 hours? The only places I can think of that require a drive like that are a few states in the west. There are a ton of DZ's closer to you, have you ewver tried on of them? Save your self a lot of money in gas and tolls that you can put into another few jumps ;)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I call it high too, I’m still high, nothing like it, it’s definitely life changing.
all around its pretty crazy how everyone bonds in just a matter of minutes, almost like you’ve known eachother for years.
Many people in my circle tell me the same thing, “it’s only a phase” but I can tell the difference. My people are wrong. It’s gonna be my new way of life, for life!
DustyP
anyone know if AFF's will transfer DZ to DZ?

I can definitely understand where you're coming from... I've had two tandems in the past couple weeks (first was an accidental reserve(!) ride from ~10,000, that was interesting), and there is really something very addicting about it :)

You need to get yourself into a 12 step program as soon as possible if you want to retain your sanity. I've found the following to be quite helpful...

1. Get in car
2. Drive to dropzone
3. Buy jump tickets
4. Check rig
5. Manifest
6. Wait for call
7. Gear up
8. Get gear check
9. Board plane
10. Ride to altitude
11. Jump out of plane
12. Land safely and go again

Oh, wait... now I see why my wife says this isn't helping!

hah, it looks like the container hit the frame of the aircraft on exit which resulted in that way early deployment, or so I'm told - obviously, nobody had a clear view of the TM's hand, but that's the going explanation at this point.

Over the past week I'v been thinking about my 2nd jump, and looking forward to more. Its almost like when you break-up with someone that you really care about and you feel kinda lost until you come to grip with it, thats kinda how I'm feeling. I feel like theres not enough time to do anything else but think and go skydiving. Im kinda in a helpless situation. I dont make enough money to do what I want, and pay all my damn bills. It sucks. If i could have it my way. Id jump everyday. On top of the price of jumping the DZ is about 3hr45min drive, little under $50 in gas alone. that shit adds up faster than I can make it. Im gonna try to jump and strech it out till middle of fall or whenever they stop jumping and save over the winter, but still DAMN. I want to go today. Im gonna have to settle with mowing the lawn and looking around on DZ.com.

Have fun fo me
DustyP

Hi Dusty.

From everything I have heard Aerohio is a great dropzone, but really, if you are serious about wanting to skydive you should consider something closer, at least for now.

I know a person or two that is from a DZ in michigan, http://www.tecumsehskydiving.com/ that has spoken pretty good about the place. It is only 56 miles from the city listed in your profile and also has a Super Otter for a jumpship.

If you don't mind doing the cessna thing (or if you just want to find more DZs) check out this page link

Check out this map, much closer than Aerohio

I hope this helps you out and maybe helps open that door for you. At around 60 miles to the DZ its going to cost a lot less in gas, take you less time, and be a lot less stressfull. If you start up there as a student you might be able to see about becoming a packer (something a lot of people do to help pay thier way) I don't know how they work packing at that DZ you would have to talk to some people there.

Hope it works out for you!

p.s. Not trying to take business from Aerohio, I'm not even from that area, I jump in wisconsin. I just want to give this guy all the information so he can get the most out of his dollar when it comes to skydiving.

Edit: I noticed in another one of your posts that you asked if AFF lessons "transfer" between dropzones. That is up to the dropzone you are considering moving from. Most places will work with you as best they can. They are also able to call the other dropzone you jumped at and find out a bit about you. It helps big time if you have a logbook. Bottom line is, call the DZ you are thinking about changing to. If you do decide to move to a closer DZ it helps to kinda pick one and stick with it, jumping at a whole bunch of different places is typically not recomended when you are first starting out, though there are some people who have done so.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Thats kinda what i've been thinking myself. There are a couple people at Aerohio I want to keep in contact with. We'll see how it go's. I plan on calling around today and see what people in MI think, I'm still new, so I'm sure they're gonna be willing.

hey dusty, if you decide to go to MI drop me a private message. thats the DZ I'll be starting my S/L training at this month, maybe we can hook up and be the new guys who dont know much :)

or drop me a line at soul.pollution at sbcglobal.net
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.