Parachutes Still OK for U.S. Travel

From the USPA web site (08/10/06)

http://www.uspa.org/news/index.htm#081006

In view of recent security events and the government’s elevation of the threat level to High for commercial aviation, USPA has checked with the TSA about the status of parachutes as carry-on and checked items. TSA reports that the screening procedure for parachutes has not changed for domestic flights. Parachutes are allowed as either carry-on or checked items. Screeners may only insist on opening parachute containers if a swab results in a positive indication. Travelers on international flights entering or leaving the U.S. should check with their airline on whether carry-on items are allowed.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

Screeners may only insist on opening parachute containers if a swab results in a positive indication.

Too bad that is not true.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I just spent 14 hours traveling yesterday and this is not true. Only the following items were allowed as carry-on:

Laptops/Cases - subject to secondary visual inspection (of every compartment) and swabbing.
Ladies purses - same secondary procedure.
Childrens formulas/food
Prescription meds with the name on the bottle along with proper ID.
Some travel cases were allowed on the A/C if they had children's diapers, food, formulas etc.
All other travel cases were checked at the gate and placed in the cargo hold for pick up at the ramp upon arrival.
IPods were allowed, but swabbed.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Thru Chicago... it was a mess. Everything was backed up due to weather and the security alert. 10 hours in the terminal trying to get a connecting flight. Got bounced 4 times.
United.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Thru Chicago... it was a mess. Everything was backed up due to weather and the security alert. 10 hours in the terminal trying to get a connecting flight. Got bounced 4 times.
United.

I'm not looking forward to my trip next week. I'm off to Denver (from Vancouver BC) Wednesday evening hoping to bring my rig with me. But I'm supposed to connect through Las Vegas (2 hours between flights) and I'm going to get fucked if my plane is late leaving Vancouver. What will be worse? Missing my connection because the system is all backed up? Or not being allowed to carry on my rig and having it lost in the Vegas connection. I should just stay home. :S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Flew out of Newark to Phoenix today without a problem. Rig was carried on in a gear bag. Laptop in my backpack was swabbed. Rig, WITH A HOOK KNIFE, went right through, no issues, not even so much as a rescan.

It's all good.

Just have the printout and the Cypres card (if needed) ready to show.

This is Domestic, FYI. Flights to/from GB (Heathrow, Gatwick, Stanset, the like) don't expect to be allowed to take carryon.

But domestic is fine. No worries.

This is good to know. I'm traveling domestically in a few weeks with my rig (with a Cypres) and I want (of course) to take it as carry-on.

We'll see...stupid terrorists. They "win" whether their planned attack works or not. [:/]

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

Arrieved in Munich both checked Bags lost in Atlanta, probaby because my flight arrieved a bit late, but my rig was carry on, so all is good. I had to explanin though that my rig does not have a zipper to open it :)
Franco
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

If they ask you to open the rig to swab, they don't ask you to open the reserve do they?? For the cost to repack you could almost ship it to your destination.

Every time they've swabbed my rig, they swab the outside only. I've never had them ask to open it to swab; once I had them ask to open it to see the battery pack for my Vigil, but I managed to talk her into a thorough swabbing and she let me go on my way without opening anything.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Flew out of Newark to Phoenix today without a problem. Rig was carried on in a gear bag. Laptop in my backpack was swabbed. Rig, WITH A HOOK KNIFE, went right through, no issues, not even so much as a rescan.

It's all good.

Just have the printout and the Cypres card (if needed) ready to show.

This is Domestic, FYI. Flights to/from GB (Heathrow, Gatwick, Stanset, the like) don't expect to be allowed to take carryon.

But domestic is fine. No worries.

I wish people would stop carrying hook knifes through the security area. It really is an item that should be in your checked baggage.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I wish people would stop carrying hook knifes through the security area. It really is an item that should be in your checked baggage.

hook knives are generally safer than some of the long precision screwdrivers I've inadvertently left in my bag. Besides, I don't think my hook knife (jack the ripper) could do much damage to anything besides the passenger manifest.

The TSA is a joke. i get to go through security for the first time since the new rules are in play on wednesday. Going stir crazy. I've been home more than a week. :S
------
Michael

hook knives are generally safer than some of the long precision screwdrivers I've inadvertently left in my bag.

I used to have a set of precision screwdrivers. until i left them in my carry on and was made to leave them behind...

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

The TSA is a joke. i get to go through security for the first time since the new rules are in play on wednesday. Going stir crazy. I've been home more than a week. :S

Well, today is Thursday. I would like to report that I made it thru security with a water bottle in my hand and no one stopped to check my ticket or my ID. (#27 for no ID/Ticket check in 2006) I've purposely gotten in the habit of folding my ticket in half and sticking it in my passport on the photo end so the ID checker will have to purposely look for the ticket, the I put the passport and ticket in my back pocket once I'm beyond this point.
The TSA screener did not say anything as I walked thru the metal detector with my bottle of water. I subsequently picked up breakfast and boarded the plane, handing the gate agent the ticket that was under a finger in my waterbottle hand.
As we were nearing final when the FAs do their final pickup, I handed the FA my now empty waterbottle. He asked how I got it on the plane. I told him I carried it in one hand from my vehicle and no one stopped me.

Is the TSA doing any better? Nope...it's still window dressing.
------
Michael

I just spent 14 hours traveling yesterday and this is not true. Only the following items were allowed as carry-on:

Laptops/Cases - subject to secondary visual inspection (of every compartment) and swabbing.
Ladies purses - same secondary procedure.
Childrens formulas/food
Prescription meds with the name on the bottle along with proper ID.
Some travel cases were allowed on the A/C if they had children's diapers, food, formulas etc.
All other travel cases were checked at the gate and placed in the cargo hold for pick up at the ramp upon arrival.
IPods were allowed, but swabbed.

Did you have to check your rig in? Was it ok when you retrieved it?

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233