lisamariewillbe

3 month lay off ... a few questions

Okay so for reasons I do not wish to get into on the public side I have not jumped in three months. Im thinking I will be back in the air next weekend and I must say I am more nervous now then I was for my first tandem. My questions are...

I have my A lisence, but I know Ill have to do a recurrency jump. What exactly is a recurrency jump?

Will I be able to recieve refresher mal training? I feel confident that I have not lost any of the information I was trained but well Id prefer to go over this but am not sure if it would be okay to ask. If it is not included with the re-currency what would be a fair tip if the instructor does not charge me?

Last but well not really as I will have more come next week when it is actually time to jump... Before I was jumping anything from a 170 to a 190 and my out the door weight was about 155, now however my out the door weight will be about 135 (maybe less). Do I stick with the canopy size I know, or should I consider downsizing to keep my wingloading similar to what I am used to?

A little info on my experience, or lack there of

89 jumps in 16 months
74 stand up landings
15 jumps with 8 lb weights
12 jumps with 11 lbs of weights
poor accuracy , 5 off landings.
Avg/Good awareness
And scared shitless to get back up there, but need to get back up there... if that makes any sense.

Thank you in advance for your replies
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Well it depends on the operation or instructor but the best bet would be a hop and pop from 3500 feet to be current but yes there is a basic review of information before you gear up.

What do you do it this happens? sort of stuff.

Good practice of malfunctions is a sure fire way to help. I know to this day on the ride up I still cover these things in my mind.

Another one would be to just jump with a instructor up to altitude. Of course after the review.

If possible got for the hop and pop as this is one area that you may need in an actual get out of the plane emgerency.

After the jump you are squared away to jump like you are used to.

Hope that this helps,

ken..
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

Ask all the questions you need. Being that its only been three months, your instructor may whip through it if he/she thinks you're good to go. But if you have concerns, no harm in bringing them up.

I have had 2 separate one year lay-offs to my credit, so I have a pretty good idea of what your thinking. Brush up on the good stuff, and once you step out it'll all come back to that natural feeling you had before. You'll be fine. Welcome back.

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?"

Well it depends on the operation or instructor but the best bet would be a hop and pop from 3500 feet to be current but yes there is a basic review of information before you gear up.

What? :S Um, the SIM would not allow for this.

With just an A license and a low number of jumps over a relatively long period of time it's going to involve something like this:

SIM 5.2

USPA A-license holders who have
not made a freefall skydive within—

1. 60 days: should make at least one jump under the
supervision of a currently rated USPA instructional
rating holder until demonstrating altitude awareness,
freefall control on all axes, tracking, and canopy skills
sufficient for safely jumping in groups

2. 90 days: should make at least one jump beginning
in Category D with a USPA AFF Instructor or in
Category B with a USPA IAD Static-Line, or
Tandem Instructor before proceeding to unsupervised
Freefall

A Cat D is basically 90 degree turns. Notice the difference is that at 60 days you can jump with a Coach, after 90 days you have to jump with an Instructor, who is trained to pull for you should you need help.

You may be asked to sit through a first jump course or you may simply get a short briefing of 30 minutes to a few hours; this will depend on what the instructional staff feel is best for you given their understanding of your skills and history. No matter what you should be put in a harness and demonstrate your EP’s thoroughly.

Personally, with out knowing you anymore than what you just shared I would at minimum put you through an hour or two of briefing including EP’s, etc. and then take you up with an “I” and have you do the first jump above demonstrating you can recover from an unstable position and also execute controlled turns and then track and pull.

As for a canopy use the larger of the sizes you are used to jumping for the first few jumps and see how it goes from there. Forget WL for now but make sure to jump in reasonable winds.

And no don’t tip the instructor. They should be getting paid for the jump already.

The most important thing is to tell your instructors your concerns and let them work with you until you are comfortable again.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Thank you for this. Now I am more worried that maybe it wont just be there once I get back in the air. However I am relieved that I have been out 90 days versus 60. I like that I will be expected to prove survival skills again. I feel they are there but well I never really went un-current before.

Since this in essence an AFF jump then would I expect to pay AFF prices? I guess Ill have to call the DZ to find out. Ill be jumping in San Marcos and already know the instructors enough to feel confident with them and would rather pay them AFF prices then jump somewhere else without knowing the staff.

It is not an AFF jump. You are a licensed jumper who needs a currency jump. Yes, that means you'll have to take an a jumpmaster with you. Its been awhile since I read the SIM, you may be able to take a coach...but I won't swear to it.

They'll no doubt ask you to pay for the JMs time (for the pre- and post-jump briefings) and the JMs slot but I sincerely doubt that it will cost you the same as an AFF jump. If it does, you need to find another dropzone. Have your JM really go over the landing (my experience is this is where most students have the most apprehension)

Take some deep breaths. Laying off did not turn your brains to mush and make you incapable of skydiving. You'll have a blast and wonder why you got yourself so worked up over it. Skydiving is very similar to riding a bike. When you haven't been in the air for a while, you may feel a little loose and shakey, but you recover quickly.

When I run a student for a recurrency jump, I have them do a couple of practice touches and maybe a 90 degree turn or two. I don't ask my recurrency students to do much of anything else (except pull) unless they really want to work on something. That way, there is no pressure. You can always go back up with a coach or buddy to work on stuff after you have your head back in it.

PM me if you have any questions.

J

Lisamarie...listen to Reginald (Ron) he's given you the best advice...well, except for tipping the instructor...while not mandatory, if you can afford it, it would be a nice gesture, especially at your home DZ...at least BEER!

I would add...read the SIM...it's free reading on-line. Be rude not to...:D

Congrats on getting back up and get your sweet ass to GA!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

When I came off my winter layoff I was a bit nervous that I forgotten how to skydive (I had 88 jumps). But as I soon found out it's like riding a bike, once you learn it you never forget. So have some confidence and congrats on getting back in the air.

Everything the others said with a "Kiss Pass" thrown in...:D:D:D

You'll be fine.

BTW - You'll need more than 15lbs. when you get back out here...:o
Anvil Brother #69

Sidelined with a 5mm C5-C6 herniated disk...
Back2Back slammers and 40yr old fat guys don't mix!

poor accuracy , 5 off landings.

After getting recurrent, get some canopy coaching to improve your accuracy. It's really not that hard to land where you want, but it's a process that starts up high and needs to be taught. Landing exactly where you want to is a great survival skill. it's saved my bacon a lot.:)

It is not an AFF jump. You are a licensed jumper who needs a currency jump. Yes, that means you'll have to take an a jumpmaster with you...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Damn, this crap is precisely the reason we're having the whole "jumper retention" debate in the first place!

LM, with 89 jumps in 16 months you are far more current than I've ever been as I approach the 24th anniversary of my first jump.

For you, a "recurrency" jump means you should probably do a short solo delay. (The Farm interprets a "hop 'n' pop" as anything below 6000-8000'.:ph34r:)

You could easily do a 2- or 3-way (with people who are reasonably experienced) without any compromise of safety. The big issue here is that you've come up in the sport during a time when there has been inordinate hand-wringing about currency, AAD's, etc. Everyone around you has persuaded you to be REAL anxious about returning to the sky.

Personal Testimony: March 1990, about 150 jumps in more than seven years, hadn't jumped in six months. Returning to the sky with a new used rig I bought from the PARACHUTIST classifieds. "Recurrency" briefing consisted of a quick discussion with an instructor, reviewing emergency procedures, altitude awareness, wind direction, etc. (No extra charge)

Made four jumps that day, landed in the peas every time. I was nervous because I always am, but there was no paralyzing fear. This is likely because there was no atmosphere of paranoia warning me that I could easily die if I jumped again without serious formal instruction.

I concede you may be required to jump through these stupid hoops, but you don't NEED to. And, while you will be scared, you'll probably notice that you're not as scared as you thought you'd be.

Welcome back!

Cheers,
Jon S.

A mass reply…

Andy9o8 - You mean theres people who still live in snow? Ugh poor them… no jumping and lots of shoveling…

Pops jumper - Thanks , Ive been reading my sim and also had time to read a few other skydiving books I stole from my boyfriend (with his pernission)

RevSlider - yea no kiss passes as the booger is out to sea and uhhhh doesn’t know I am planning to jump this weekend … I figure Ill tell him after I land safely … lol … to jump with you Id need more then 15 pounds, hell Id need to go tandem without the drogue just to stay with ya

John- Ive been meaning to take scott millers course… I have learned the processes but somehow Im still avg 30 to 150 feet depending on how many jumps that day from the place I want to be and I am sure it will be worse after this layoff I had

Airman - thanks, I tend to over think and worry myself often when it comes to skydiving.

Thanks all, I know once I am in the air it will be wonderful… but the whole riding a bike thing doesn’t apply to me, I don’t know how to ride a bike.

With all due respect, at your numbers why were you wearing weights ? That just seems un needed and something else to distract you....your instructors should have spent more time getting u to relax:(
sorry don't mean to offend..........wt
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

when I was a student (12 jumps) I was out for 46 days... plus or minus a day or two with a broken hand dued to an odd landing.

I ended up doing a two way with an AFF instructor at the dz... we started it off with me doing a somersaut out of the porter then we turned several points.

I know that's not precicely what the SIM suggests but it was sufficient to alay my fears and I was up there with an AFFI.

I hope you have a great jump... and don't stress too much about it because I'm sure you'll be fine. :)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Because I am 6'2'' ish and 135 lbs and float ... has nothing to do with not being relaxed but having fallrates avg 109 to 111 and (even as low as 104 once) on a full arch makes for poor RW as it is hard to "work" when I am fighting to fall at a reasonable speed.

Also I started the weights to simulate a higher wingloading as me under 190s to the 240s I was jumping for the first 50 jumps, in certain winds (that are normally safe for others) puts me backwards and although my instructors have said I could downsize, I felt better with the weights as they can be ditched and the previous reason of being able to let go of people in the air without floating out of the formation was always a bonus.

My instructor had me for 6 jumps, after that it was up to me. And once I got my A lisence I made decsions on where I wanted to go, and well where I want to go in this sport had me needing weights. Ive always used instructors for advice and never have added anything additional to my gear or changed my gear without seeking advice

The weights never distracted me.

I am only not relaxed now because I have had a layoff which I hadnt had before.

I wore weights on an AFF jump or two - one of the AFFI's said it was taking a lot effort to fall as slow as I was. I weigh the same as Lisamariewillbe, but not the stick she is since I'm only 5'6". 6'2"?!? Sheesh girl, go eat something! No, I suppose you're a nice elegant thing.

I agree with Airman. Your more current than my married/divorced/re-married budget allows me to be. I just jumped again on Saturday after 1 year off. A year ago I tore a rotator cuff (right arm of course) then rehab'd that and ruptured a C6-C7 vertebrae. (don't play B-Ball with ex-pro football players) I watched a DVD on malfunctions the night before and never doubted I would be ok with jumping again. Kenneth did correctly quote the Sim 5.2 and leave in the word "should". If you feel confident then talk it over with other people you've jumped with. Another jumper can judge if this is just normal jitters or something more. I talked with the dropzone owner and he knew me and my abilities, so all was good. Obviously if money is no object, then take an instructor with you. Can't hurt and he would appreciate the free jump. I have also taken Scott Miller's piloting course and recommend it highly. Have a blast girl, that's why we do this. Remember what your instructor said on all of your 1st jumps, "relax and have fun". Still the best advice.
----------------------------------
Am I still in this world?
Yes, Grandfather.
I was afraid of that.

I had plans to go to Houston to jump and watch Conways ash dive. At the last minute I had chickened out. Stayed home and spent the weekend pretty much feeling annoyed at not going. So yesterday afternoon while reading my logbook I decided it was now or never.

I packed up and on the way to the dz called my boyfriend to let him know and found out he was going for his 3rd hour of flying lessons. And I must say between both of our news I was literally wanting to just throw up from the overload of emotions.

I get to the DZ, hook up with Caroline and get in a training harness. The training was awesome, my line twists they actually twisted me and well it was the best mal training I have had. I think I might do that at least every 50 jumps for awhile if they are willing.

Next thing I know, its me , Caroline and two videographers to film my jump. This was my "First Cancer Free" jump and they wanted it well documented. I cant really go to much into the emotions of all four of us, but the vibe was definitly there, as were the tears from me.

The specfics on how bad I was after the layoff and weight lose... lets see, I dove out, potato chipped, dived instead of tracked, pulled at assigned alti (I was a alti whore on this jump... ) and my pull, my pull was beautiful, almost a work of art. I felt the canopy start to stand me up and realized I was holding my breath. By now I was hooting and hollaring and balling my eyes out (yea thats nothing new I cry most jumps from happiness)

Then I came in for the best, most soft , stand up landing I have ever had thus far.

Thank you Skydive San Marcos.

Two videos, and two rolls of film, I definitly felt spoiled. I cant wait to bring them the beer I owe.