40yrvirgin

"That Guy" at the DZ

Ok, A little revision... The DZO is so short staffed, and this guy is basically the DZ B*ITCH, therefor he simply puts up with "that guys" shit. Its just about all the jumpers at the DZ who want "that guy" outta there! Now, our DZ is rather small and no one likes humiliating "that guy" to the point of him leaving(with the exception of a couple of people here,) so we need a combination of indirect and direct things to do to "that guy" inorder to try get rid of him!! THanks again for you suggerstions.

So what I hear you saying is:

-- the DZO needs help
-- "THAT GUY" is helping
-- you want "THAT GUY" to leave
-- so the DZO will be even more short staffed
-- which will make the DZO happier
-- and will make you happier, too.

Do I have that right?

Here's my suggerstion for doing something indirect to get rid of "THAT GUY": Help out the DZO by doing the things "THAT GUY" is doing. Are you already doing that?

Mark

You must be in a very timidity DZ. Start growing balls at tell the guy off.

I assume you are trying to say I'm at a timid DZ? You guessed it. We're just a bunch of wusses & yes-men here...yepper! :|

Everyone will just call him out on his shit and he will be a big favorite in the death pool.

That's what the farewell party is about. Some people will get a reality check from it and get their sh*t together, others will take their toys and go home. Good riddance if they don't have the skin to take it when people have been talking to them already.

Start growing balls at tell the guy off.

Spoken like a true "that guy." :P

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

so we need a combination of indirect and direct things to do to "that guy" inorder to try get rid of him!! THanks again for you suggerstions.

Maybe you should just take the hint and either clean up your act or quit going to the DZ. That just about covers it.:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

we need a combination of indirect and direct things to do to "that guy" inorder to try get rid of him!! THanks again for you suggerstions.

Suggestions?

Buy your own Drop Zone so then you can decide who to run off just because they are not a perfect click fit.

When watching Lord of the Rings I remember many times when I just wish they would kill Gollum and get it over with, I mean what a pathetic use of flesh and bones right? Then he is the one that ends up saving the world and it got me to think, to reflect on times when I may have shunned another who really did serve some purpose in the larger view other than my own. There is sometimes good that comes from diversity that may not be apparent to my sometimes narrow viewpoint.

I once read somewhere not to miss out on the beauty of the forest just because of the ugliness of a few of its trees.

Here is a great suggestion – be a person of understanding, of compassion. Offer this individual some of your time in friendship, be sincerely welcoming and you may discover that this person that is killing the grove of the DZ click is not so bad after all. Who knows, it might turn out to be a symbiotic relationship that both of you benefit from – wouldn’t that be a surprise.

-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

>>Now, our DZ is rather small and no one likes humiliating "that guy" to the point of him leaving(with the exception of a couple of people here,) so we need a combination of indirect and direct things to do to "that guy" inorder to try get rid of him!! THanks again for you suggerstions.<<

Sounds to me like you're trying to start a conspiracy against "that guy". When you get involved in those kind of things what goes around comes around. Why don't you just live your life man if that guy really is a "bitch" like you say he is, then it shouldn't bother you because you know you can always regulate. But if you want to take a proactive approach then ither do what that girl did, or what pops jumper suggested.

Some people are socially awkward around others and don't know how to act according your narrow and biased standards. Sometimes, the negativity of the 'popular' crowd just increases their bluster.

What are you doing to help this fellow jumper become a better skydiver? Do people discuss his flying issues or just chastise him?

At least he's trying to contribute to the DZ by helping out.

(Note, after that first observation, I'm only asking about his skydiving abilities and need for constructive feedback. It's no one's business if he's socially wierd except for how we deal with him to improve his safety)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Actually, the opposite reaction seemed to work at our club.

We started to listen to him and encourage him to talk. Then we would call him on stuff and ask him to explain the shit he had concocted.
Eventually he needs to make up believable stories and that is not really fun.
But seriously, by not ignoring him and then asking him to explain everything sort of worked, and got him to research things, making him a better skydiver.

Funny how he has changed and become a bit quiet.
When he get's called on something totally unbelievable in front of a crowd, it is embarassing.

I think this is the most mature and productive way to deal with this kinda guy.

Another great perspective from a great person...

See my thing is to try to make everyone feel welcome no matter what has happened...

if someone is that hot about skydiving and wants to try to fit in, why not take away the reasons for him to want to fit in...

if you really are annoyed by the blustering action pull that person aside quietly and talk to them about maybe trying to tone it down that we all will like you regardless...and then ask them to go jump with you and work with them...I find it is the best way to make people feel more at home and work with them...

Cheers

Dave

we need a combination of indirect and direct things to do to "that guy" inorder to try get rid of him!! THanks again for you suggerstions.

Suggestions?

Buy your own Drop Zone so then you can decide who to run off just because they are not a perfect click fit.

When watching Lord of the Rings I remember many times when I just wish they would kill Gollum and get it over with, I mean what a pathetic use of flesh and bones right? Then he is the one that ends up saving the world and it got me to think, to reflect on times when I may have shunned another who really did serve some purpose in the larger view other than my own. There is sometimes good that comes from diversity that may not be apparent to my sometimes narrow viewpoint.

I once read somewhere not to miss out on the beauty of the forest just because of the ugliness of a few of its trees.

Here is a great suggestion – be a person of understanding, of compassion. Offer this individual some of your time in friendship, be sincerely welcoming and you may discover that this person that is killing the grove of the DZ click is not so bad after all. Who knows, it might turn out to be a symbiotic relationship that both of you benefit from – wouldn’t that be a surprise.

-

http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

oh yeah and downt forget this one

principals before personalities

we are all here to skydive...work with the person on the safety aspects and then remember they are just as wet about skydiving as you are

Dave

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

We are fortunate at Pitt Meadows, in that we have a large and vocal group of intermediate jumpers. When ever anyone starts bragging, or their skydiving skills don't match their story, they are loudly and publicly called to task.
For example, last week, I told a vocal junior jumper to try flaring a yard higher. He responded: "I know." Apparently, several other jumpers had already called him on his sloppy landings and ambition to down-size.
Fortunately, everyone offered constructive advice with a chuckle.

I think most people who are boastful are really just lacking in self-esteem and they feel that is the only way to try to impress people. Is there a friendly guy at the dz who "that guy" respects who might be willing to sit down with him in a relaxed situation over a few beers and gently discuss with him how people are viewing him? That to me would be the best solution.

Above all else, just remember...treat others how you would like to be treated.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

in reply to "I know every DZ probably has one of these guys... But we're just wondering if anyone has some good ideas as to how you can get rid of "THAT GUY" at the DZ??? You know the one who lies about his skydiving accomplishments, the one who talks peoples ears off about the dumbest sh*t no one wants to hear about, the guy whos dangerous in the air and has had a couple close calls he WILL NOT admit to, the guy who will do and say anything to try and make himself feel wanted, and of course the guy who virtually NEVER leaves!!! PLEASE HELP US GET RID OF "THAT GUY!!!" Your comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
"

yeah that guy sucks especially when he's grossly over weight , a total drunk and is in charge.:S

I'd prefer to get rid of the type that is constantly saying negative things (usually behind people's backs) about others.ie the mockers.

You know the type ,:P the type that trades on putting others down. but provides nothing in return.
Sometimes the nerdy devil we know is heaps better than the 'oh so cool' demon we don't .

yeah that guy sucks especially when he's grossly over weight , a total drunk and is in charge.:S

I'd prefer to get rid of the type that is constantly saying negative things (usually behind people's backs) about others.ie the mockers.

You know the type ,:P the type that trades on putting others down. but provides nothing in return.
Sometimes the nerdy devil we know is heaps better than the 'oh so cool' demon we don't .

Amen Brother and even worse the ones who stab you in the back after you do nothing but be accomadating and nice...

Dave