pilatus_p

Flatulence at altitude

Somebody always farts in the plane. That, I have seen in my limited experience, seems to be a given.

On my recent AFF people just chose to let it go inside the porter. Thankfully the door slides.

On my static lines, it was the instructor ... Guess we made him nervous...

Ross
http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/troll.htm

How else can you tell you're at 10000'?

There are different level of stench.

1.) The good natured slight stink where everyone laughs.
2.) The not so funny, breathe into your frappe hat type
3.) The offensive type where the pilot cracks the window
4.) The type that causes gags and dry heaves. (At that point the offender should see a doctor and the person in front should consider cleaning his gear).
5.) The type the inspires he rest of the load to physically eject the offender (who should consider seeing a vet)
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Well its very rude I think :P

Why not wait a few more minutes, and one can leave ones flatus behind in freefall. Better yet, save it in case your PC gets caught in a burble. That little jet of gas could save your life.

'Gags and dry heaves'... I've only just stopped laughing ... :ph34r:

Ross

Why not wait a few more minutes, and one can leave ones flatus behind in freefall. Better yet, save it in case your PC gets caught in a burble. That little jet of gas could save your life.

'Gags and dry heaves'... I've only just stopped laughing ... :ph34r:

Ross

well as you probably know, your ear pops on the way up to altitude because of the expanding gases exerting pressure on the insides of your ear.

this phenomena is apparently not limited to ears... :)
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

Some people "flatulate" no matter what the altitude. :S

HOWEVER, the reason this is so common at altitude is because as you climb, gasses expand. If you dont relieve it, it could actually hurt you. At least thats what the DOCs tell me when i am in the altitude chamber.

Anyway, that is why so many have to fart up there. ;)

Not really rude, just....necessary.:)
Edited to add - daremrc - beat me to it....:DI type to slow

"I love 'lamp'."
-SKYMAMA

I don't think this thread is a good idea. We have now given thousands of skydivers carte blanche to let rip inside any plane they find themselves stuck inside in the name of intestinal pressure balance.

To those thinking that this thread empowers you to flatulate at will, think of all those raw greenhouse gases you are releasing high in the atmosphere.

When the seas are lapping around your ankles as the icecaps melt, ask yourself the question -

"could i not have just clenched?"

Ross

It's Boyles Law... As altitude increases, the gas inside a closed space is subject to expansion. This expansion may be as great as 20% at an altitude of 8,000 feet when temperature remains constant, such as in the human body. :S

So, in closing....farting fun....farting required....B|

It's Boyles Law... As altitude increases, the gas inside a closed space is subject to expansion. This expansion may be as great as 20% at an altitude of 8,000 feet when temperature remains constant, such as in the human body. :S

what are you, a static liner? At 14-15k, it's getting close to 80% expansion. (I think you're off on the 20% at 8k, too)

Who's got the chart handy? I thought it was .5 atm at 18k.

I feel the social pressure to hold it in till the door opens, but once that happens I seem to forget to do it. Much like testing the notion that you can't piss in your wetsuit at 120ft. I keep forgetting to try, or I forget that I actually did it. I'm pretty sure I've proven it false.

Try to hold it till just prior to jumprun. Then if you're one of the first few out, let it rip. Turn and yell, "IT WAS ME!!!!" and promptly exit. Make sure to drink plenty of Jaegermeister the night before to provide that diseased-colon aroma.
"Remember the First Commandment: Don't Fuck Up!"
-Crusty Old Pete

Try to hold it till just prior to jumprun. Then if you're one of the first few out, let it rip. Turn and yell, "IT WAS ME!!!!" and promptly exit. Make sure to drink plenty of Jaegermeister the night before to provide that diseased-colon aroma.

NOW THAT is some funny shit!!! I am going to have to steal that!!!! lmao :D

"I love 'lamp'."
-SKYMAMA

in case your PC gets caught in a burble. That little jet of gas could save your life.

Just for the record-Mountain Dew hurts like the dickens when it comes out of your nose. I shouldn't read this in places that I can't laugh out loud
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

Its always a fuckin belly flier.

Maybe the freeflyers in your area are wound up a bit tight?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

This whole subject brings back some wild days when I was much younger. And not yet a skydiver.

We were all at summer camp I was around 12. And we were receiving our safety briefing on the swimming pool when I let a loud and long one out that laster for a good 20 secounds if not more.

The guy giving the briefing stopped and they all looked my way. I was so embassed but when ahead and finished.

Afterwards the instructor was mad but everone thought the big kid had done it. and not me....

As I sit here writing this it still is funny,.....:)
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

Right you have opened a floodgate here ...

When I was 13 I had terrible lactose intolerance. This condition inspires the eggiest farts known to man - I mean REAL egg mayonnaise and sulphur type ones.

At school in a german lesson, I snuck out a TINY silent one, so small i didnt even need to 'tilt'. The potency must have been something that biochemical warfare labs can only dream of because I swear it smelt like a power cut in a morgue.

The fart and ensuing panic spread around the class. Jumpers were futilely pulled over noses. Retching began. As a last ditch attempt at survival, students were actually starting to bail out of windows (ok it was ground floor). The teacher said "Oh for god's sake it can't be that b..." and stopped mid sentence as he gagged.

Then he told everyone to open the windows. And the door. Some people left.

I still see people now (im 28) that remember it clearly. It is forever known as "The German Fart".

Would that constitute a danger to an aircraft?

Ross

what are you, a static liner? At 14-15k, it's getting close to 80% expansion. (I think you're off on the 20% at 8k, too)

Who's got the chart handy? I thought it was .5 atm at 18k.

I feel the social pressure to hold it in till the door opens, but once that happens I seem to forget to do it. Much like testing the notion that you can't piss in your wetsuit at 120ft. I keep forgetting to try, or I forget that I actually did it. I'm pretty sure I've proven it false.

hahah......nope, never static lined...scary shit! But, I'll go toe to toe with you on pressure expansion rates me friend!;);)

Half the earths' atmosphere occurs around 18K.... One liter of GI gas (average) would expand to twice that volume at around 16,500 feet in da warm human body.......Dry gas, 2x @ 18K....

Let's see, I've been to 120,000 feet before (altitude chamber), pressurized in an S1030 full pressure suit to 34,500 feet or about 3.5 psia... And flown a partial pressure suit to 65,000 feet......oh, yep, it's the same suit our NASA astronauts wear on ascent/reentry.... All of this resulted in huge amounts of gas expansion....... so.... somewhere in there, I'm kinda qualified to discuss gas expansion.....:ph34r: