Kuper

someone wants to rent my old rig. how much money to take?!

hi,
someone wants to rent my old rig for a month (and wants to pay). includes everyting but a main.
i just don't know how much money to take?!
did anyone here was in that situation before? any suggestions?

thanx.
http://www.orikuper.printroom.com

Are they good people? WIll you ever use it again?

- Maybe.... just lend it to them, they may want to buy it later.

I gave my previous container away... it feels nice to give back to the sport.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

If you're not using it, I would just let him have it for no payment as a good karma thing. I would, however, tell him that he has to pay for a repack if he has a cutaway and has to pay for any missing items if he does have to cutaway.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

If you are not using it and have it listed for sale, then just make sure that whatever you decide, the guy you are lending/renting it to understands that he is fully responsible for any damage/loss to the rig and it's components. Why not just work out a rent-to-own plan with the guy if he doesn't own a rig?

Chuck

It's only for a month? I like the answers of either lend it to him for free to "give to the sport", or accept a bottle of good liquor. I also agree he needs to be 100% responsible for any damage or loss.

When I got recurrent about 3 years ago after a pretty long hiatus (hint: the last canopy I owned before that was a 5-cell Strato Star...), a good friend of mine who had just gone on hiatus himself because his wife just had their first baby, and was thrilled that after years of him cajoling me I was finally getting back into the air, loaned me his rig for over a year, free of charge, until I bought my own rig - he flatly refused to take any "rental" money from me. It was a well-used Sabre1 that spanked me from time to time, but it landed great and hell - you can't beat free. He's still on hiatus, so we got him and his wife a really nice Christmas gift, and now I "pay it forward" by jumping with and mentoring newbies.

Lent a Friend My old main for 6 (maybe more) months.

I didnt charge him anything at first but he offered to pay up to $100 for the maintanence on it.

(It needed two patches at the tail.lookslike a small rock went through it.)

I believe they were there when I lent it to him but he still offered to hook me up.
My photos

My Videos

a friend of mine with whom I have jumped for over 30 years was thinking about gear this spring... I have been on injured reserve list, and my main ( and reserve) are a bit larger than his,,,, so I said,, hell just take my rig and have fun.... he paid for the reserve repack which was due, and also stepped up and covered the cost for the cypres '4-year'.....I have a VERY short list,,,, of people to whom I would loan my gear.... but HE is on it....
what goes around comes around...:)

If the person who wants to use YOUR rig is merely an acquaintence I might suggest a flat fee, per month,,,, of say 50 bucks, or else a 5 dollar a jump fee...of course with the caveot,,
'you break it,,,,, you buy it '....

jmy

Whichever way you go, my suggestion would be to do the loan in writing with serial numbers, duration of loan and such. Divorces, thefts, losses, misunderstandings, etc. all happen. The document will ensure your right to ownership. It may sound like overkill, but I've learned over the years that things have a way of getting muddy with the closest of friends. Personally, I don't loan anything to anyone that I'm not either a) willing to put in writing, or b) if it's the closest of friends willing to walk away from and consider a gift to maintain the friendship.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

This is really good advice. Nope, you won't need it. But anyone who isn't willing to do that kind of upfront work might well be exactly the kind of person who lets "stuff" get in the way of a good business relationship with the rig.

That said, I'm borrowing a rig (for back-to-backs) right now and didn't sign anything. On the other hand, it's gotten its Cypres maintenance, new brake lines, new velcro all around, new main loop, main loop service bulletin, new kill line, and it's about to get a new pilot chute bridle. It'll be delivered back with a fresh reserve repack. Pretty good deal :)
I'd say that if you're planning on selling it to someone who might just take it and jump it (i.e. a local jumper who will trust the rigger who's been maintaining it), then have them provide a fresh reserve repack. If you expect to sell it unpacked, then ask them to buy you a jump sometime, or provide beer for the kitty. Karma does have a way of coming back around.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

ok,
after reading all your answers here, and consider again the situation, i told the guy i'm not gonna charge him for anything, and off course - you break it you pay it etc. he'll use it for 2 months...

and yeh... i hope that what goes around comes around. sometimes. and even if not - i'll take it as a 'helping a good guy' thing :)

Whichever way you go, my suggestion would be to do the loan in writing with serial numbers, duration of loan and such. Divorces, thefts, losses, misunderstandings, etc. all happen. The document will ensure your right to ownership. It may sound like overkill, but I've learned over the years that things have a way of getting muddy with the closest of friends. Personally, I don't loan anything to anyone that I'm not either a) willing to put in writing, or b) if it's the closest of friends willing to walk away from and consider a gift to maintain the friendship.

What he said, plus is he going to be safe using your rig?... is he qualified on it? etc.

Hey I don't know much but those would be my concerns

yeh he is qualified. that's ok... i'm the last skydiver in the world who'd give anyone a toy which i think he can't play with :P
it's his main inside by the way... it's just that he isn't allowed to jump on his old rig here (for some reason). he's going back to OZ in 2 month and he'll jump with his rig there...

but thanx!

Whichever way you go, my suggestion would be to do the loan in writing with serial numbers, duration of loan and such. It may sound like overkill, but I've learned over the years that things have a way of getting muddy with the closest of friends.

I've learned the same thing too. Even friends can turn into total assholes when money is involved.
Put the agreement you two have in writing and both of you sign it, even if the only thing has to pay is damages he causes to rig, or lost items after a cutaway. This protects both of you if something bad does happen.

MB 3528, RB 1182