skymiles

Just another newbie doing a down winder, or is he?

Just as the first jumper of the load was about to land the wind shifted 180. But by that time the landing pattern was set and all the jumpers landed down wind including the only newbie on the load. Nothing out of the ordinary except that the newbie was Tiger Woods. He came in fast and flared too high, and as he touched down he fell forward into a loose PLF. Uninjured, he jumped to his feet.

Tiger had completed AFF the day before and was now working on his A license. The staff instructors at the DZ were not involved. A friend of his who is a Navy Seal Leap Frog arranged his training at the DZ and involved 3 other instructors. Tiger and his small entourage used a room away from the tandem students and visitors. The whole thing was very low key – no press, no sponsors no on lookers. The experienced jumpers knew he was there but were all very nonchalant about it. Skydiving is indeed the great equalizer.

Apparently, Tiger has wanted to skydive for some time and now would like to jump regularly (at least one day a month). I just hope he’s open to jumping with other regular skydivers at the DZ and doesn’t isolate himself.

No doubt, Tiger Woods could be a publicity bonanza for skydiving, as long a he stays healthy that is. I applaud him for pursuing his other passion; however, I hate to think of the negative ramifications if he got banged up.

Lastly, I will not disclose the DZ or upload the video of his landing. :)
Phil

Dammit that is so not right, Ive time and again said I love this sport cause I can "share a load with my idols and thats a big deal to me, I quit golf and sold my clubs because I knew Id never get to play golf beside tiger woods or paul fair"

:|

That being said, hes just another newbie. The dangers in this sport cant tell the difference between a celebrity and "regular"
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

"Tiger, not everyone is meant to be a skydiver. Have you thought about taking up golf?"

Now that cracked me up. It'd be great if he went on to get some ratings. Just think about what you said but 180 degrees. Someone comes to Tiger for Golf lessons and he tells them, "Not everyone is meant to be a golfer. Have you ever thought about taking up skydiving?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Did he bring his beer?

This is the important question. Skydiving is such a social sport that it'd be a real pity if he didn't take part in that side of it.

True but unlikely given his stature in the world. He might want to be social, but it'll be next to impossible for him. The guy is one of the greatest icons in sports today. For him to drive his Buick to the DZ and hang out for the day will be hard on him and the DZ...the press and gawkers will be all over him.

This is great, though...great for the sport, for him, and cheers to the OP for keeping this on the down-low.

Now I wonder when Nike will buy up PD and introduce their new line of ram air canopies. :S:P

I would be willing to bet that sky divers would treat him as just another sky diver (as long as he brought his beer). However, I have to agree, the press and gawkers would probably be all over him.

Maybe Nike will come out with a canopy that can fly farther and land more accurately?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

We had Andre from Outkast come out one time and do tandem. Gary the TI was talking to him in the plane.

'So what do you do for a living?'
'I'm a singer.'
'Oh. Does that pay pretty well?'

Personally I wouldn't have known him if I tripped over him. He came back the next day and just hung out for a bit. He probably appreciated that chance, however short liver (heh-heh. typo'd but I like it in context so it stays), to be treated like an average schmo.

If Tiger keeps it low key, he'll probably have no problem getting in an average quiet day at the DZ.

Bandit demo into Augusta, anyone?

;):D

Agreed. No one cares what you do outside the DZ or how much money you have. At my DZ we have bikers, bartenders, Dr.'s, lawyers, millionaires and poppers all socializing and jumping together.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

i totally agree, while hanging around at the DZ there's no social level involved, we are all family sharing the same love for the sky.

and if Tiger can bring something to our sport it will be the best for us all ...

i guess anyway that focusing won't be a big problem for him ;)
--------------------------------------------------
I never used 2 rocks to start a fire ... this is called evolution !

Reminds me of the time I did a tandem with Prevail: lead singer for Swollen Members.
Due the generation gap - and me rarely listening to rap or hip hop or R&B or whatever they call their music - I really stuck my foot in my mouth by asking which city the band is from!

Vancouver!